Oil catch can?

That's what I understood. And the guy in the video said "we still don't know how to address the passenger side line."

Correct me if I am wrong but it was my understanding that the majority of the oil/water/gas contamination comes through the crankcase vent where this catch can is placed in line.

Correct me if I am wrong but it was my understanding that the majority of the oil/water/gas contamination comes through the crankcase vent where this catch can is placed in line.

I'm not correcting anyone I know as much about engines as I do brain surgery haha.

I understand what you're saying but if that's the case, why even address the air intake line then at all? And if you do have to address it, the guy in the video is saying they've only addressed the driver side line and do not yet know how to address the passenger side line. My understanding is the lines going to the intake are supposed to be "clean air" but it's not 100%. The catch can is catching the oil but they're trying to ensure it's nothing but clean air going back into the intake by bypassing the supposed clean air from the engine downstream of the baffles.

But what about the passenger side?

Also what is with the replacement oil cap? Is that just a place to hook the air line to and the oil fill hole is still completely sealed off?

Edited by Silverado-Hareek
  • Like 1

Ordered the RX myself... Mike is a nice guy took the order over the phone. I saw the youtube you are talking about... will have to see how everything hooks up with the Airaid intake and the catch can...

Ordered the RX myself... Mike is a nice guy took the order over the phone. I saw the youtube you are talking about... will have to see how everything hooks up with the Airaid intake and the catch can...

Same here. I should have mine Tuesday with the clean air separator.

Quite shocked with $350 for complete package. Spoke to the fella who did the youtube install he told me the can alone is 95% effective--I may go this route. I'd like to know if the can has some type of media inside or is it empty?

I thought they had a cross section diagram ont he website but can't find it after they rehosted... they do have a pretty good explanation of the checkvalve operation int he install instructions. I would guess that there is some type of "media" inside that gets the oil vapor to coalesce and that hte tube is lower than the clean air output... call and ask, they are really friendly and seem eager to explain the the process and necessity for these filters.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my RexXtreme catch can installed this weekend and thought I would share just a couple pics. The install was super easy especially with the video RevX has on YouTube.

Here is a good shot of the hose you remove and replace with the supplied lines in the kit.

20140705_163103.jpg

Here are the lines connected. They don't supply hose clamps and you might not need them as tight as everything fits together but I knew I would sleep better if they were 100% securely fastened so I added some SS hose clamps to all connections.

20140705_165133.jpg

You can see the brake booster bolt I mounted the catch can to in this pic.

20140705_163854.jpg

Once the vent lines were connected to the motor I went ahead and put the air box/intake back on before I connected to the catch can. That way I could see exactly how to run the lines for the cleanest/clearest install. Then just cut the lines to length and connect to the can. Center inlet on the can comes from the intake valley and the outer inlet into the can goes to the the throttle body.

20140705_165938.jpg

All done....time for a beer!

(I am pointing to the throttle body inlet hose in this pic....just an FYI)

20140705_171031.jpg

Edited by Newm
  • Like 1

Great job! Got mine installed this weekend, too. Note: Your's is a 6.2L. The hose for the 5.3L runs from the valley to the driver's side of the intake about halfway back.

Thanks. Good catch, I forgot to mention that mine is a 6.2.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who have installed catch cans or plan to...please keep up posted on how much oil you catch (in x amount of miles too).

Thanks!

I most definitely will. Only have 400 miles since the install and it's killing me not to check. I will drain out after a couple thousand probably. I will say the intake was already completely coated in oil/crud with 3800 miles at the time of install.

I most definitely will. Only have 400 miles since the install and it's killing me not to check. I will drain out after a couple thousand probably. I will say the intake was already completely coated in oil/crud with 3800 miles at the time of install.

Why not check now? I would think you would want to check right around now to see what happens within the first 500 miles. If nothing is there then you know you can go a lot longer before the next check. But how do you know it's not 75% full now?

Why not check now? I would think you would want to check right around now to see what happens within the first 500 miles. If nothing is there then you know you can go a lot longer before the next check. But how do you know it's not 75% full now?

I see your point. I am just going off of what RX has said and other peoples experience with catch cans. I am not 100% sure but I think RX instructions stated to check around 1K-2K miles first (I could be wrong going off my middle aged memory)to get a base line then might be able to extend drain intervals closer to 5-10K miles. I might get a wild hair and check it here soon. I think I am right at 500-550 miles since install.

Edited by Newm