Playing Videos on MyLink / Intellilnk

You don't need a big drive. 4gb should hold a few movies. Plug the card into the slot and MYLINK should recognize it. I forget exactly how to find it in MYLINK. There is an icon on some screen for videos.

• 2 weeks later...
I have an Ipad mount on my steering wheel that gets the job done.
R8 / TT....really mounted to the wheel? How's the turning?! ;)Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

I can't even figure out how to get a movie onto my computer; much less a USB drive....anyone? Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

A little help needed for a non tech guy. How do I convert videos(tv shows) on I tunes to a format that I can put on an SD card and play in my truck. Thanks

I think its illegal to have any video playing on the display while in drive since it can distract the driver, but on my 08 I installed a Pac Tr7 toggle switch with my Alpine headunit to trick it into playing videos while the truck is in drive. Not sure if that switch only works with Alpine headunits though.

Here is a link to the switch on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/PAC-TR-7-Universal-Trigger-Output/dp/B0002J22BO

• 2 weeks later...

The manual says something about playing dvd's. I tried it but it didn't work for me. It just tried to read the dvd as a cd. Maybe you need a certain model radio? I didn't try using the E brake though.

I tried playing videos on mine as well with no success. When my daughter is in the back seat and the wife is taking just much time to finish shopping, I'd like the options of having a couple of her movies on a stick and playing them on the dash.

It's not worth it for video. I tested several videos of various sizes and file types. For the ones that did work, the playback was choppy and out of sync with the audio.

You can watch video with the truck in Park. If you put truck into gear, the video playback stops but the audio will continue.

Certain formats will play smooth as silk.

I agree with MotoMedic, the video playback is really not worth it. The video is pixelated, the audio is out of sync, and as far as I can tell, you can't fast forward, rewind or pause. But I did get it work and I'll share what I know.

I used a Transcend 32 GB class 10 SDHC flash memory card I got from Amazon, about 20 bucks.

I used a program called "Handbrake" that you can download for free from Source Forge to convert and compress video files. For instance I ripped a DVD of "Battle: Los Angeles" with a program called Nero (not free, but you can find free DVD rippers with no trouble) Then I used Handbrake to convert those DVD files to it's "iPad" preset, this converts it to an MP4 file and shrinks it to less than one Gig.

Here is a YouTube video of a company that has figured out a way to use video in motion.

Here is the link to their website - http://gm-navigation.com

this looks interesting. wonder if this could work with a modern game system? I have a spare xbox one just sitting here waiting to be used for something

If my truck ever gets here I'll gladly build you all a step by step for getting movies from dvd (or any other source) and onto your trucks screen. In the mean time I can explain my opinion why you are having quality issues. The SD reader they opted for in the GMC is slow (unlike the standards for the last 4 years). It only supports throughput of Class 4 cards and this is where the choppy is coming in. 3GP is a standard that is based on the Mpeg-4 format but designed for small screen and mobile utilization. Because this is designed for small screen (cell honest mainly) it'll play but you have some serious resolution reduction (which may be good enough). The first thing I will test is a mp4 formatted movie. This will likely play smooth compared to a mpg and most definitely compared to wmv.

Going on week 6 since I ordered my truck. I have a garage full of accessories just waiting to be installed.

You think with the amount of money these trucks cost they would have not been so cheap on the SD Card readers...

this looks interesting. wonder if this could work with a modern game system? I have a spare xbox one just sitting here waiting to be used for something

A Xbox would definitely work!! The guy in the video tells you that you can use any DVD or Game Console player to play video with!!

I resolved the issue I was experiencing with playing videos and put together a how to for those that are having issues with the system recognizing their videos. My system would not recognize the files on the SD card so I researched best I could using information from this site and others to experiment with formats and resolved.

This may be basic information for some but I'm old and not as familiar with some of the new tech so I had to figure it out. Hopefully there are others like me that it may help. (ignore bad grammar and spelling)!

Playing Videos on the 2014 Silverado.pdf

• Like 3