WheeeeeeeW! Got new Wheels and leveled now vibrates real bad!&

I know previously gm has used clips on the wheel studs to hold the rotor's on during the assembly process. The factory wheels have a bevel on the inside of each lug opening to account for this, most aftermarket wheels do not. Those clips will definitely cause a vibration if not removed due to the wheel not mating evenly with the rotor.

I had the exact same problem after upgrading tires on my '14.... it's the balance.

The tire shop's machine may be out of spec and they haven't realized it yet (as was the case at mine). Have them check & rebalance.

FYI- a rolling road balancer works much better than the standard type. It has a cylinder that presses against the tire to simulate deformation caused by rolling on pavement.

I know previously gm has used clips on the wheel studs to hold the rotor's on during the assembly process. The factory wheels have a bevel on the inside of each lug opening to account for this, most aftermarket wheels do not. Those clips will definitely cause a vibration if not removed due to the wheel not mating evenly with the rotor.

Please remove your rears and check for this. This is by far the most common problem and it takes about 5 minutes to alleviate. And the install guy is a moron. I can run my truck at 90 and it rides smooth.

THANK YOU THANK YOU EVERYONE THAT HAS CHIMED IN WITH ADVICE AND OF COURSE THE MOST POPULAR ANSWER WAS THE WINNER, THE TIRES WHERE OFF BALANCE ACTUALLY TWO OF THEM WERE. I TOOK TOOK TO A HIGHLY REFERRED LOCAL TIRE SHOP BY MANY FRIENDS AND HE SAID TWO OF THE WHEELS HAD TWO MUCH WIEGHT. THE SEVERE VIBRATION IS GONE, AND THE RIDE IS GOOD BUT NOT AS SMOOTH WITH THE STREET TIRES THAT GM PUTS ON THEM. I AM STILL GOING TO HAVE TO CHECK FOR THE CLIPS AND THE WHEEL STUDS YET I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR. IS IT JUST A CLIP AROUND EACH STUD?

the clips look like a copper/gold colored star washer there will be one clip per rotor. If you have aftermarket wheels(which you do) they NEED to be removed or you risk the chance of having the lugs loosen over time and the tire falling off(which will probably happen at the worst time)

Have you checked for the clips? They are a common issue with aftermarket wheels. You'll see them as soon as the wheel comes off. Kinda resembles a washer. Also, I have the exact same tires on my 2014 and I have no vibrating issues.

Shaking in the steering wheel usually points to front wheels, shaking in the seat of your pants usually points to the rear wheels. I know you fixed it, but keep that in mind.

Have you checked for the clips? They are a common issue with aftermarket wheels. You'll see them as soon as the wheel comes off. Kinda resembles a washer. Also, I have the exact same tires on my 2014 and I have no vibrating issues.

Shaking in the steering wheel usually points to front wheels, shaking in the seat of your pants usually points to the rear wheels. I know you fixed it, but keep that in mind.

Hey i really appreciate it! this site has helped a lot with you and every ones help! (redundant?) i have not check the clips but i will trust me! Yes once the balance was fixed the ride was so much better! but yes again check the ciips!!

update update update! so many of you remember that the dealership put new wheels and tires on my 2014 GMC All Terrain, and then it vibrated and rattled. Many of you concluded that it was a bad balance and the dealership " tire guy " swore he balanced perfect and that it was a bad tire or wheel. I took it to a local recommended tire shop and sure enough it was a bad balance. I CALLED THE DEALERSHIP AND TOLD THEM THE SITUATION, TOLD THEM HOW MUCH IT COST TO FIX THE ISSUE AND THEY REIMBURSED ME THE MONEY, RIGHT THERE ON THE SPOT. I SHOWED THEM THE RECEPT AND THEY GAVE...ME ... THE .... MONEY BACK I SPENT TO FIX THE ISSUE! YOU ROCK GWATNEY GMC!!!

Archived