Open Infotainment Project

So did everyone just give up on development of this thing?

When I heard this system was open source I got visions of custom themes, and taking advantage of the hardware in new and exciting ways... Like gauges and stuff.

Let alone enabling Android Auto or free use of backup cam for less than the $1,000 other companies charge...

People don't understand that open source ISNT. It just happens to utilize SOME open source components lol They are required to disclose what open source components they use and the code IE busy box etc... these aren't even close to open source but they do use some components.

• 1 month later...

The intent was for this project to be open source. I don't have access to the firmware nor time to reverse engineer the HMI module meaning the project is at a stand still.

For the time being you will have to rely on those who have capitalized on access to gm equipment for updates and modifications.

• 2 years later...
On 3/2/2017 at 1:05 AM, OhmMega said:

The intent was for this project to be open source. I don't have access to the firmware nor time to reverse engineer the HMI module meaning the project is at a stand still.

For the time being you will have to rely on those who have capitalized on access to gm equipment for updates and modifications.

Hey I have the usb update files and map update files you’ve been looking for! If you got some programming skills I could really use the help making a way to boot into this HMI and try to get access to a file directory. Here’s my bench setup so far.

B161F751-68F2-4BD9-B4D0-8AAB663479B9.jpeg

hello I need help for steering wheel commands, I'm installing an aftermarket android in the car and I have done to assign the pins of the hmi 2.0 module to locate the pins for steering wheel commands ..... thx

Gray plug [X2]

pin - color / stripe - description

01 - White / Violet - 12v +

02 - White / Green - MOST data

03 - Gray / Violet - MOST data

04 - na

05 - Gray / Yellow - unknown

06 - White / Blue - unknown

07 - na

08 - Gray / Violet - MOST data

09 - White / Green - MOST data

10 - na

11 - na

12 - na

Black plug [X1]

01 - Gray / Yellow - Mic +

02 - Black / Gray - Mic-

03 - na04 - na

05 - White / Blue - unknown

06 - na

07 - Red / Violet - 12v + Battery

08 - Black - 0v (ground)

09 - Green / White - LIN data

10 - na

11 - Blue - CAN H

12 - White - CAN L

13 - Blue - CAN H

14 - White - CAN L

15 - na

16 - na

5 hours ago, stealthor said:

hello I need help for steering wheel commands, I'm installing an aftermarket android in the car and I have done to assign the pins of the hmi 2.0 module to locate the pins for steering wheel commands ..... thx

Gray plug [X2]

01 - White / Violet - 12v +

02 - White / Green - MOST data

03 - Gray / Violet - MOST data

04 - na

05 - Gray / Yellow - unknown

06 - White / Blue - unknown

07 - na

08 - Gray / Violet - MOST data

09 - White / Green - MOST data

10 - na

11 - na

12 - na

Black plug [X1]

01 - Gray / Yellow - Mic +

02 - Black / Gray - Mic-

03 - na04 - na

05 - White / Blue - unknown

06 - na

07 - Red / Violet - 12v + Battery

08 - Black - 0v (ground)

09 - Green / White - LIN data

10 - na

11 - Blue - CAN H

12 - White - CAN L

13 - Blue - CAN H

14 - White - CAN L

15 - na

16 - na

I believe steering wheel controls would be through the LIN bus, you may have to get the PAC or Metro steering wheel controls retainment kit, if they make one yet.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I see there is a lot of HMI experts on this thread.
Please help me undarstand few things...
I'm base in Poland (EU) and wanted to convert HMI to have a EU maps and language.
After doing researching I figured out that I cannot do that on NA module and have to replace to EU module.
So I found one for Opel Insignia (Buick Regal) and used foreign VIN (from EU model) to unlock the HMI module. All programmed via SPS.
Guess what? All is working great! I have a EU maps, voice recognition and all other features meets EU specification.
So let go for question now because this is not my first and last GM I want to import from USA and convert to EU specs. :)

1. Do I really need to replace HMI module to EU version to get EU specs?
2. Because I used VIN from the car that has rear A/C and video (my car does not have) I have control icons on CUE screen now for those systems which I don't have.
    Do I have to find a proper VIN to hide it or may I use my car VIN to unlock EU module and it should work?

3. What is the different in mentioned here "calibration" and "software" and what actually the open source does?

Thanks!

Woj

• 7 months later...
On 11/22/2014 at 4:00 PM, OhmMega said:

I'm making up some new diagrams for the HMI Module.

Here's a text reference for the terminations until the images are finished.

Human Machine Interface Control Module NG 2.0

Gray plug [X2]

pin - color/stripe - description

01 - White/Violet - 12v+

02 - White/Green - MOST data

03 - Gray/Violet - MOST data

04 - na

05 - Gray/Yellow - unknown

06 - White/Blue - unknown

07 - na

08 - Gray/Violet - MOST data

09 - White/Green - MOST data

10 - na

11 - na

12 - na

Black plug [X1]

pin - color/stripe - description

01 - Gray/Yellow - Mic+

02 - Black/Gray - Mic-

03 - na

04 - na

05 - White/Blue - unknown

06 - na

07 - Red/Violet - 12v+ Battery

08 - Black - 0v (ground)

09 - Green/White - LIN data

10 - na

11 - Blue - CAN H

12 - White - CAN L

13 - Blue - CAN H

14 - White - CAN L

15 - na

16 - na

The CAN bus is jumped through in the module. I'm not sure what side is in and what side is out yet until i meter the wires.

The MOST bus is intriguing as it is an A/V bus connected through the HMI, Instrument Cluster, DISC Player, Display, Amplifier(if applicable) and Radio. MOST bus is also jumped through in the module.

The LIN bus I think hits the buttons like steering wheel, hvac controls, media controls...

I'm still investigating the system setup to further evaluate the next move, rather breaking the HMI software and reusing the hardware, or building a new bit of hardware. My only issue is a MOST controller is nearly impossible to come by. Although there are some aftermarket MOST integration products for foreign cars.

The HMI is actually pretty decent at a glance, it has 8Gb DDR3 Ram, 32Gb eMMC, LIN, CAN, MOST50, Accelerometer, BT/Wifi, GPS.

I'm may start finding someone with one of the nav map updates to see if they'll share the files. It may have some insight into the update process and maybe an easy way into the software. Otherwise steps will have to be taken to try and read the eMMC memory.

More to come...

Can you indicate were the back up camera wires are connected? I got the OEM camera, but do not know were is connected since the truck does not have the hareness that comes from the tailgate, but have all the HMI conectors available.

Thanks

BajaKing

• 7 months later...
On 11/26/2014 at 12:21 AM, OhmMega said:

I pm'd a guy about sharing info/files from the map update, would provide some insight about an update procedure or hopefully a bootloader if its more than just maps.

Another thing I've been looking into is the emmc chip. There's a test header and pads next to it. If the cmd,clk,and dat0 can be located then a nand dump can be obtained. Probably would be encrypted but its a start.

On the opposite side of the emmc chip near the test header there are 6 large test pads that are exposed while the PCB is encased. Would make since if those were associated.

post-124606-0-83839400-1416980575_thumb.jpg

post-124606-0-14365900-1416980590_thumb.jpg

You can find the tool for this on opuradio.com by searching gm hmi tool