In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
oppirs

Trans pan drop, torx bolts stripped 2002

Doing my Trans filter change on my '02. Using this site as an aid. http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179148

Most thing went well until I needed too remove the shifter bracket. Can't remove the torx bolts do to the 4x4 driveshaft in the way but not giving way.

I'm now near the point to use oxy/acect... on the bracket to twist it out of way.

Anyone got opinions/options before I go too the heat?

Edited by txab

big channel lock pliers holding the bracket to the driveshaft ,,,,no need to remove the bracket

Thx for the advice. But my best/biggest won't grab around the shaft+linkage plate. I tried prying it over, It's one tough piece of steel.

it is for sure ,why people take that bracket off mystifies me lol

How do people do it?

It's my main transport, I don't want to Oxy it yet but I will do it if needed. Heat shield dropped/dirt & stones in the loose/open pan, So no option but to drop the pan.

It's getting a bit stupid. Do to this shifter placement.

Edited by oppirs

How do people do it?

It's my main transport, I don't want to Oxy it yet but I will do it if needed. Heat shield dropped/dirt & stones in the loose/open pan, So no option but to drop the pan.

It's getting a bit stupid. Do to this shifter placement.

not you ,in general i mean ,people dont see to move the bracket ,they take it off ,,,,all good

I replaced mine years ago with allen bit cap screws. I think they are 8x1.25x30 (dont hold me to the size but i think that was what they were). They are a pain, It makes really easy to take the pan off dude. With out the bracket in the way it will just about fall off after the bolts are out.

I think most people take the front drive shaft off to do a tranny change no?

Just bringing this back up because on 2wd trucks I ran into the same problem. The torx head stripped out on me. You cannot swivel the bracket out of the way as it has two holding it in. I honestly cannot remember though if it could be easily bent or not, but I'm thinking if it was, I would have done it. I finally gave up and sealed the pan back up. Wound up adding like 2 new quarts as that is all that would drain out of the pan.

Guess I should have completed this....Yep the crowbar did the trick. Just had to jack the front-end a bit more for leverage. In hindsight it was it went well.

Thanks all for the input!

On my 2000 I never bothered to bend it back. It was never a problem.

Mark