Adding Navigation to Intellilink / MyLink System

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not sure what you mean by "head unit" This system does not have a "head unit". To upgrade an IO5 MyLink Radio to be a IO6 NAV MyLink radio it would require a new HMI (Human Machine Interface Module), Coax Cable, an Antenna Splitter, and programming to the Tuner, HMI, and VCIM

When i say head unit i guess i mean the whole screen! all that stuff you said was much like aliens taking over my head!

I am not sure what you mean by "head unit" This system does not have a "head unit". To upgrade an IO5 MyLink Radio to be a IO6 NAV MyLink radio it would require a new HMI (Human Machine Interface Module), Coax Cable, an Antenna Splitter, and programming to the Tuner, HMI, and VCIM

When i say head unit i guess i mean the whole screen! all that stuff you said was much like aliens taking over my head!

The "screen" along with the buttons are just another piece of the puzzle called an Integrated Center Stack

That will go away when your 6 month onstar trial ends...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

UH what!??

Straight from the GMC website....

SAFE & CONNECTED: ONSTAR®

Available on most Sierra models is a 6-month trial subscription to the OnStar®4 Directions & Connections Plan. The plan includes:

• Automatic Crash Response
  • Turn-by-Turn Navigation
  • Roadside Assistance
  • Emergency Services Link
  • Remote Door Unlock

After 6 months it goes bye bye unless you pay for the package from OnStar

Straight from the GMC website....

SAFE & CONNECTED: ONSTAR®

Available on most Sierra models is a 6-month trial subscription to the OnStar®4 Directions & Connections Plan. The plan includes:

• Automatic Crash Response
  • Turn-by-Turn Navigation
  • Roadside Assistance
  • Emergency Services Link
  • Remote Door Unlock

After 6 months it goes bye bye unless you pay for the package from OnStar

Cool thanks for the info!!

There is an aftermarket plug in module from Rostra that is in development at this time. It uses a y harness and plugs their nav interface into the Mylink 8" without factory NAV. It uses the iGo Nav mapping software. We are in line to get one as a test mule when they are confident in releasing it to us. They currently have it avalable for most 2013 Mylink vehicles and it has worked great thus far. As far as the 14' Silverado/Sierra, it can be installed, but will soon show some ugly glitches since it is not truly compatible at this point. It will be released soon we are told.

I called this company to inquire about this product. It is a plug in module they sell. Sounds like it would work. But it was something like $1300. Too rich for my blood. If they come down to $500-700, I may check it out.

http://autospatech.com/2014-chevrolet-silverado-factory-navigation-system.html

• 2 weeks later...

Preprogrammed HMI module, gps antenna (can't use splitter as only trucks that come from the factory with nav have the antenna cabling that utilizes the splitter) 15 minutes and you are done! We actually did not need to program the tuner nor the VCIM. all voice commands worked fine. There are aftermarket systems that will work and cost less, just not as well as the oem unit

Preprogrammed HMI module, gps antenna (can't use splitter as only trucks that come from the factory with nav have the antenna cabling that utilizes the splitter) 15 minutes and you are done! We actually did not need to program the tuner nor the VCIM. all voice commands worked fine. There are aftermarket systems that will work and cost less, just not as well as the oem unit

can you explain what you are talking about? What product?

can you explain what you are talking about? What product?

Second that. What exactly did you do and purchase to accomplish this? And where did you get it?

I've been happy with the OnStar nav. There is an app (BringGo or GoGo) which supposedly works for only $50, but I don't know if it is yet available for the trucks; IIRC it was initially launched on the Spark Sonic. The initial reviews I found weren't the greatest, so besides OnStar I still use my Garmin and Google maps. You can read about BringGo/GoGo here: http://news.yahoo.com/gm-phone-app-may-replace-car-navigation-system-210508190.html or here: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/03/a-brief-tour-of-chevrolet-mylink-and-bringgo-navigation-app/ If you Google BringGo or GoGo nav app you will find several reviews from 2012 on the product.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if this is worth the price when you have smartphones that have free/relatively cheap map apps. Has anyone done this on previous vehicles? Was it worth it compared to alternatives (smartphone, garmine/tomtom, etc.)?

Archived