Post Pics of Your 2014+

Did a full paint correction, took 18 hours but turned out great. This is after washing, claying, compounding, polishing, ipa, sealant. Tires had one coat of sealant, a second to follow. Trim, windows and wheels not yet done, and tonneau cover was still off. I removed 98% of the surface defects using microfiber pads on my da. 

PhotoEditor_20190330_232519322_compress_8.jpg

Edited by Ge0rge
  • Like 7

11 hours ago, Ge0rge said:

Very nice rig, white is my favorite color. Like that you made it yours while.keeping the look clean. 

Thanks. Tint, wheels, and color matched door handles and mirror caps did wonders. If only I could get rid of the original chrome parts now lol.

On 3/30/2019 at 11:35 PM, Ge0rge said:

Did a full paint correction, took 18 hours but turned out great. This is after washing, claying, compounding, polishing, ipa, sealant. Tires had one coat of sealant, a second to follow. Trim, windows and wheels not yet done, and tonneau cover was still off. I removed 98% of the surface defects using microfiber pads on my da. 

PhotoEditor_20190330_232519322_compress_8.jpg

Looks great! 18 hours is steep, but looks like you got great results. I got mine to about 90% with a quick clay and an orange foam pad and called it good. Followed up with 2 ipa wipes and gyeon mohs ceramic coating (about 12-13 hours total). Curious as to what microfiber pads you're using and what you used to seal everything up after all that polishing. 

IMG_0551.jpeg

So I used Meguiars Microfiber cutting pads with their mf correction compound. I also used their mf polish and mf polishing pads. I learned alot during the process. I found that running the da at 4800opm was crucial to defect removal, as recommended, faster did not achieve a better result. I wanted to do a ceramic coating such as Blackfire but went with Meguiars Fast Finish because it does seem to hold up for me over time, plus its quick to reapply, obviously two different ends of the spectrum for paint protection. 

I was hesitant on ceramic, worried I would screw up the process. I did coat the trim with Meguiars Ultimate Protectant lightly and wiped it dry only to find the little bit of rain we had washed it off and down the paint, made up a few new cuss words when I seen that, lol. I am going to use a trim sealant such as McKees to prevent the issue. I have trim sealant like the stuff on my tires but it is a more semi permanent solution that I am not ready to go all in on. The paint is not perfect, but yesterday some people thought it was a new truck. It removed all the hazing and marring. I almost cannot believe I achieved those results. 

Your truck looks great. I wish they offered a black chrome option when buying, that would look incredible on most, particularly white. I am debating ditching the nerf bars, they are less than one year old and already peeling in numerous spots, I have a warranty claim in the process. I definitely wont leave them on in such a condition. Next up is some exhaust work and a rear console build. 

Is there something hanging off the front passenger side tow hook in that photo?

So I used Meguiars Microfiber cutting pads with their mf correction compound. I also used their mf polish and mf polishing pads. I learned alot during the process. I found that running the da at 4800opm was crucial to defect removal, as recommended, faster did not achieve a better result. I wanted to do a ceramic coating such as Blackfire but went with Meguiars Fast Finish because it does seem to hold up for me over time, plus its quick to reapply, obviously two different ends of the spectrum for paint protection. 

I was hesitant on ceramic, worried I would screw up the process. I did coat the trim with Meguiars Ultimate Protectant lightly and wiped it dry only to find the little bit of rain we had washed it off and down the paint, made up a few new cuss words when I seen that, lol. I am going to use a trim sealant such as McKees to prevent the issue. I have trim sealant like the stuff on my tires but it is a more semi permanent solution that I am not ready to go all in on. The paint is not perfect, but yesterday some people thought it was a new truck. It removed all the hazing and marring. I almost cannot believe I achieved those results. 

Your truck looks great. I wish they offered a black chrome option when buying, that would look incredible on most, particularly white. I am debating ditching the nerf bars, they are less than one year old and already peeling in numerous spots, I have a warranty claim in the process. I definitely wont leave them on in such a condition. Next up is some exhaust work and a rear console build. 

Is there something hanging off the front passenger side tow hook in that photo?

Yeah thats a flag bracket for when I go to the sand dunes. 

But trust me, if you can operate a DA polisher you can lay down a ceramic coating no problem. Very easy to do. I used Gyeon Mohs, but want to try kamikaze next time around.

If i could suggest a nice sealant/topper if you dont want to go straight for a ceramic coating, Wolfgang deep gloss sealant is awesome. Gloss is awesome, lasts a good while, goes on and comes off super easy and it leaves the paint very slick.

I thought about topping it but with the size of the truck I seem to lean towards something quick that works. I used duragloss 601/105 polish/bonding agent on my other vehicle (Infiniti FX35), which I need to detail in the near future, held up well. Perhaps a good chance to try a ceramic coating, I dont drive it much, it's in great condition, saved for my son for when he starts to drive...less than two years. Let's just say I am not anxious for that day, he is pretty responsible but kids behind the wheel, especially mine will worry me all the time. 

The only effect from a coating I wish I had with a sealant is hardness. But considering I use a foam cannon and get majority of the crud off the paint prior to actual hand washing I think I will be ok. 

Did you use an All-In-One with the Orange Pad, If so, which one? I also used a clay pad vs clay, a lot faster. Used some rinseless wash diluted down for lube during the process.