AFM recall

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't fool yourself- this problem has plagued any AFM equipped vehicles not just these new trucks. The lifters starve for oil, or they partially collapse and begin to wipe out lobes of the cam. Eventually they collapse entirely and can tear up the whole motor.

It is important they put the full 9 quarts or whatever is recommended in these trucks during an oil change, also important I think is running synthetic.

Some in the G8 crowd felt disabling the AFM early on helped because the lifters that get shut off in 4 cyl mode don't- so they don't be oil starved and hot

Does GM offer synthetic oil? Also what is a good fuel cleaner? How do you know if they put full 9 quarts in?

Just left the dealer, there is a Technical Support Bulletin on my vehicle for the AFM, ECM re-reflash. There is no announcement via a recall, only way to find out is if you have dealer run your VIN.

Mike

So what happens to the guy that does his own oil changes and never goes to the dealer, you would never know about it? I would think something that is as serious as possible cylinder damage would render a recall rather then a TSB.

I would agree with you. When I first heard of it, earlier this week-I ran my VIN on GM recall. I thought I was good until I just happened to stop in the dealership and ask the service manager about it. Didn't seem like a big issue, as he stated "we can get it when you bring it in for your oil change" I have 5K on the truck.

So what happens to the guy that does his own oil changes and never goes to the dealer, you would never know about it? I would think something that is as serious as possible cylinder damage would render a recall rather then a TSB.

Who said anything about cylinder damage?

And this is how service campaigns (vs recalls) works. When I was at the dealer it wasn't uncommon for someone to come in for a warranty issue and have six service campaigns be done too.

Who said anything about cylinder damage

These calibration errors can cause the hydraulic lifters to actuate at the wrong time, when the combustion chamber is under high pressure. If this occurs the

hydraulic lifter can be damaged and the affected cylinder will no longer operate.

This is where that comment came from, now that I read it again I realize it's not cylinder damage but lifter damage the makes the cylinder no longer operate. Either way it's not a good thing.

Ok.. I just called my dealer this morning.... the local one I use for service... not the one I purchased the truck from.

They ran my VIN... said this update was done to my truck by the dealer I purchased it from . My truck was delivered to the dealer... and picked up by me on Aug 28th. Has this update been out that long? I thought this AFM update was something brand new?

I called the dealer I purchased my Sierra from this morning. Spoke to the service department desk. They ran the VIN and said there was nothing indicating a needed update for the AFM?

I wish there was more information regarding this.

Archived