Few questions on the GMT900 and the new 2014 models

Hi...I currently own a 2010 Sierra Nevada Edition Ext. cab with the 4.8L V8 and I am very seriously looking at a new 2014 Sierra All Terrain 1500 SLT with the 4SA preferred package, fully loaded, leather the whole deal. The dealership is basically going to give me what I owe on my 2010 so I can move into this new truck without too much trouble. Going to be doing a 48 month lease this time as opposed to buying it outright like the 2010 because it just makes sense for me.

Now before I go off and trade my 2010 in I would like to know a couple of things.

1. I have a spare set of studded winter tires on a set of GM steel wheels that I had on my 2010. They are 245/70/17's on 6 lug 17" rims. Would I be able to use these on the 2014? First thing is would they bolt up? And second, as the 2014 is running 6 lug 265/65/18's the difference would be 1" smaller on the diamter, there isn't any TPM's in the winter's and I know it would light up the dash for tire pressure (does that on my 2010) but would this 1" difference cause any other issues like ABS/stabiltrack/etc? If it would cause major issues then I would sell the set and put it towards a set that would work with the 2014.

2. I have a set of airbag spring helpers on my 2010 and I do plan on removing them before trade in but would these work with the 2014? They are the kind that ubolts to the spring and sits against the frame. I would like to reuse the system, but if not I would just sell it I guess. I guess the question here is, are the springs and frame on the new trucks the same with as the 900's?

3. I got a set of rear wheel well liners on my 2010, would they fit the 2014? Are the wheel wells any different?

Please let me know if anyone has the answers!

Wow..I wouldn't have noticed the 14s had liners as you can still see the frame tube holes or whatever those holes are called :) .... I will probably leave the liners go with the 2010 as they have been cut to fit the airbag system on the truck anyway, I doubt I would get much for them considering I only paid $70 for them new. Hopefully the air bag system will bolt up....

Thanks for the link to that website....so it looks like my speed and revolutions per mile will only be off by a maximum of 3.5% putting the speed off by less than 2.5 MPH at 65 MPH, with the winter tires the actual speed will be a little more than what the speedo is reading... not sure how sensitive the ABS system is to that but we'll see.... if it is a problem I will probably keep the 17" rims as they will bolt up and get a set of 17" winter tires that bring the difference down to nothing like say 245/75/17 would put it at 0.3% off or something similar in a 17"....

After doing a couple of searches it seems that ABS is more sensitive to different size tires if placed on front and back or side to side.... like a set of 265/65's on the back and 245/70's on the front when they all should be say 265/65's....the back wheels would be rotating slower than the front thus could trigger the ABS system to think they are losing grip and engage... the matter is even worse apparently if you put mismatched tires from side to side.... but if you keep all tires the same size (which I will be doing by having all 245/70/17's) and are relatively close to the stock overall diameter (less than 3.5%) the ABS shouldn't care as it will be working the way it should and that's simply monitoring the speed of each wheel relative to each other...

I think I'm good with the winter's! I wouldn't want to have to go out and buy a whole new set ;)

Archived