Backup camera upgradable?

kelub

I know for a fact that the cameras on the traverses have higher resolutions than the garbage they outfitted in the full size trucks.

If there were a way to plug one of those cameras into the wiring of ours and see if the resolution improved...

Who supplies rear view cameras to auto manufacturers? There has to be a way to retrofit a better one into the tailgate handle...

The screen is not the problem. The resolution of the screen is very good.

Gringo

I hate to say this but the screen resolution will not be good, I already asked the engineer about it. Also even if you hook up a higher resolution camera, if the screen is not capable of handling that resolution then you wont have any video.

No different than cranking the resolution up on a monitor or TV, get outside of the rate it can handle and it will not show anything.

I hate to say this but the screen resolution will not be good, I already asked the engineer about it. Also even if you hook up a higher resolution camera, if the screen is not capable of handling that resolution then you wont have any video.

No different than cranking the resolution up on a monitor or TV, get outside of the rate it can handle and it will not show anything.

that engineer of yours fed you a line of bull.

the resolution of the screens is much better than the cameras. if it weren't, then why can video files be played that look decent on it?

from a 2013 press release of the 2014 mylink:

"One of the most noticeable additions to the new Silverado is the available high-resolution, full-color touch-screen display radio that is seamlessly integrated into the top of the central instrument panel. This vibrant LCD screen is standard on LTZ and available on LT, and it displays a home page resembling a smartphone screen or tablet, with just a few, large buttons and easily recognizable icons to execute commands."

• 2 months later...

I'm new to this site and just purchased a 2014 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 4x4 Crew Cab last month, and must agree the quality of the camera is not up to par, especially compared to my wife's Volvo XC60.

I would be interested in hearing about any potential upgrades to the camera system.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
I would love to see the difference in quality of someone who swapped the factory radio for an aftermarket and retained the original backup cam.  Or added the optional 3rd brake lite camera.  

I have a Pioneer head unit with Maestro RR interface using factory back up camera and the picture is crap. Worse then the factory picture. Reason for this is the camera GM uses is crap.

• 2 months later...

Maybe someone can post a picture of the quality of a 2019 backup camera, or any other newer GM vehicle. Maybe you can make these fit, because as far as i looked, the camera works just with a 4-pin connection like any other backup camera.

Firstly the screen can handle it, just play a properly formatted video using the media option and ou will see higher resolution. 

Secondly the "bandwidth" should also not be an issue since this is traveling over a wire. 

The biggest issue here would be drivers, and assuming that the open source OS software is used in all situations, the cameras would be selected for comparability so i doubt that would be an issue

Lastly, yes, some of us do back up that much especially when using the camera to hitch up. It would be nice to have a better resolution when hitching. 

• 4 months later...