Fuel Tank Size - Crew Cab with 6.5 Bed?

At what mileage remaining would you like the warning to happen?

To be honest, I didn't put 2 & 2 together. When I saw I had 50-65miles until empty and a fuel light coming on, I normally figured, in reality I would probably get 25-30miles off the MILES REMAINING calculator on the dash. Unless that thing is actually accurate. I thought people where getting 450-500 miles off a full tank. I don't see that happening with a 22 gallon fill up.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, I didn't put 2 & 2 together. When I saw I had 50-65miles until empty and a fuel light coming on, I normally figured, in reality I would probably get 25-30miles off the MILES REMAINING calculator on the dash. Unless that thing is actually accurate. I thought people where getting 450-500 miles off a full tank. I don't see that happening with a 22 gallon fill up.

Switching the 'miles remaining' is a lawyer thing. Change in type of driving (and therefore the miles per gallon) and the distance remaining changes too.

I can just see people being mad :ughdance: and posting "I ran out and it says it still had 4 miles remaining!" etc etc.

Run it down as far as comfortable. I don't usually, but I have put in as much as 24.5 gallons. Others have probably filled with more.

Can't see it them getting 450-500 around town, but if on the highway then maybe. 24 gal x 20mpg = 480 miles. (and up to a 2 gal buffer)

Obviously usage makes a huge difference.

Just pulled my trailer on a 2000 mile trip with most tanks averaging 8.5 - 9 mpg. Fuel calculations seemed fairly accurate. When it said the average was 8.5 mpg and it had traveled 200 miles, then the refill would take the expected 23.5 gallon -- (and only have about a 20 mile buffer)

I used to get 500 per tank before I added level and bigger tires on mix of highway and city driving

I had a 34 gallon in my last truck. I miss that a lot. I even had a 44 gallon tank in my old Suburban... now that was nice! You can't have too much fuel on board. I hate taking time to fuel up.

• 3 months later...

I understand why someone would want a bigger tank for a longer range, but really just have gasbuddy on your phone and you'll see where gas stations are located.

That's kinda like saying, 'Hey, if you want a bed over 5.5ft, just get a bed-extender.' Some people have needs for many different things, such as the need for an unnecessarily-long signature listing every minute feature of your truck.

I, for one, want a larger fuel tank so I will be able to fill up ever two weeks versus every 10 days.

That's kinda like saying, 'Hey, if you want a bed over 5.5ft, just get a bed-extender.' Some people have needs for many different things, such as the need for an unnecessarily-long signature listing every minute feature of your truck.

I, for one, want a larger fuel tank so I will be able to fill up ever two weeks versus every 10 days.

Not really..... But the ones I can understand wanting the bigger tanks would be ones that tow a lot or live in areas of the country where there's not a gas station on every corner. Other than that, I don't mind filling up a little more often. I mean really, it only takes what, 5 minutes if you don't go inside. The gasbuddy app can help you plan when and where to stop, that's why I mentioned it.

Not really..... But the ones I can understand wanting the bigger tanks would be ones that tow a lot or live in areas of the country where there's not a gas station on every corner. Other than that, I don't mind filling up a little more often. I mean really, it only takes what, 5 minutes if you don't go inside. The gasbuddy app can help you plan when and where to stop, that's why I mentioned it.

It's not about not finding gas, it's about range. It's nice on long trips to have a couple hundred miles more before you need to stop. All the other brands offer a bigger tank on all configurations aside from regular cabs. Ram has 32 gallon, Ford. 36 and on the Tundra they have a 38 gallon tank. No reason not to offer it across the board. There's tons of space underneath.

It's not about not finding gas, it's about range. It's nice on long trips to have a couple hundred miles more before you need to stop. All the other brands offer a bigger tank on all configurations aside from regular cabs. Ram has 32 gallon, Ford. 36 and on the Tundra they have a 38 gallon tank. No reason not to offer it across the board. There's tons of space underneath.

I did say that I understand wanting a bigger tank for longer range. Just my point is for most people a 36+ gallon tank just isn't a must have. Some do, but most don't. I'm not saying it's wrong to want a bigger tank. But, there's a difference between want and need and if you just want a bigger tank it's not a huge deal while needing a bigger tank is a bigger deal. I just myself don't need a 36+ gallon tank so it doesn't matter to me either way. Would fill up less often but would pay more each time at the pump.

I did say that I understand wanting a bigger tank for longer range. Just my point is for most people a 36+ gallon tank just isn't a must have. Some do, but most don't.

Who says it isn't a priority? GM essentially doesn't give you a choice (almost no one buys 1500s with 8' beds). The other three offer it for a reason. If it didn't sell they wouldn't offer it. I'd be willing to bet there are plenty of trucks from the other brands with the big tanks on the road.

Who says it isn't a priority? GM essentially doesn't give you a choice (almost no one buys 1500s with 8' beds). The other three offer it for a reason. If it didn't sell they wouldn't offer it. I'd be willing to bet there are plenty of trucks from the other brands with the big tanks on the road.

I wish GM would go back to selling 8' beds on 1500s in something other than a reg cab.

Again I'm not saying it would be bad, but most people just don't need a big tank. I understand if someone needs a big tank if they go long distance on a regular basis or live in the middle of nowhere so there isn't a gas station everytime you turn your head. My point is that most people just don't need a big tank. Most people that are just wanting a big tank say it because they don't want to stop as much when it literally only takes 5 minutes to fill up if you fill up and go. Also it just seems like most people are making it seem like they need a big tank when all they do is just want a big tank. That's fine too if you just want a bigger tank, but if you don't need a big tank then it's not an issue. With a big tank you may stop less but you pay more at each fill up and sometimes I'd rather spend a little less at a time. Personally I just don't care either way though so I'm not against a bigger tank in more configurations, I just don't need a 36+ gallon tank so I'm not going to complain that I only have a 26 gallon tank because I just want to stop less often. If you need it because you hotshot or just go long distances on a regular basis is one thing, it's another thing to just not want to stop as often which isn't a huge deal. Also just because the other brands offer a big tank in more configurations doesn't mean that's what sold everybody that truck, I bet most of those people could care less either.

But hell I'm wrong about everything else on here.

Archived