Re-learn TPMS after tire rotation?

6 hours ago, snowbrdd said:

My problem is that I'll end up losing the thing. Decisions decisions.

I keep truck specific items like this in the truck so such things don't get lost in the abyss of seldom used tools and gadgets in my garage!

11 minutes ago, snowbrdd said:

You underestimate my ability to somehow lose tools.

A strategy that often works for me when I have lost a tool or part is to move on to the next project/task.  The lost item will surface when no longer needed.

1 minute ago, Donstar said:

A strategy that often works for me when I have lost a tool or part is to move on to the next project/task.  The lost item will surface when no longer needed.

Hah. When it surfaces is when I've run to lowes/home depot. Thats how I have 15 10mm sockets now. Only after your project is completed does your tool resurface.

Edited by snowbrdd

I found on my late build 2011 that if I let enough air out that the pressure drops below the low pressure limit (27 lbs I think) the air out relearn method works.  This works on 2 sets of TPMS for my summer and winter tires.  I'm not sure if I have a 2011 before they made the change or if the low pressure limit tricks it.

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased some winter rims for my Sierra they came off a base model (Chrome 17 inch)... I purchased the EL-50448 tool from amazon... It works on my 20's but not on the 17's... Is it possible the factory 17's don't have TPMS?? I'm holding it up to the 17's and nothing happens, I literally walk into my garage 6 feet away from the truck hold it up to my 20's and the horn chirps. :smash:

Forgive me if I'm wrong I thought all GM trucks came with TPMS. 

Edited by Fitzzy

I purchased some winter rims for my Sierra they came off a base model (Chrome 17 inch)... I purchased the EL-50448 tool from amazon... It works on my 20's but not on the 17's... Is it possible the factory 17's don't have TPMS?? I'm holding it up to the 17's and nothing happens, I literally walk into my garage 6 feet away from the truck hold it up to my 20's and the horn chirps. :smash:

I’m pretty sure that in the US, all vehicles manufactured after a certain date must have a tpms system. I’m not sure of the exact year, but I think it was around 2007/08.
  • Like 1

Where did you buy the winter rims at? Are you sure the winter rims came with sensors?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, SirenRed16 said:

Where did you buy the winter rims at? Are you sure the winter rims came with sensors?

Purchased them from a guy locally in town... they were off his 17' Sierra base model. Not too sure if they had sensors, I just assumed all factory GM rims had TPMS 

Purchased them from a guy locally in town... they were off his 17' Sierra base model. Not too sure if they had sensors, I just assumed all factory GM rims had TPMS 
My guess is at one point it did have the sensors. He probably removed them before he sold them.

Just now, SirenRed16 said:

My guess is at one point it did have the sensors. He probably removed them before he sold them.

Certainly is possible. Any way you can tell if they are TPMS just by looking at the valve stem? I know it actually sits inside the rim just looking for best case scenario