cng conversion (compressed natural gas) exploratory stage

looking into converting my 2001 8.1 with 140000 miles to a combo cng and reg gas. how difficult is this to do and what are the expenses? I know I will need an aux tank in the bed. where should I buy a kit and installation or just the kit (I like to do things myself). reason cng is 1.30 per gallon also any one with this conversion has it affected the vehicle and what type of fuel milage are you getting ?

• 2 weeks later...

really no one has done this conversion. I have found a few companies that offer the kits to convert ranging from 600-1300 dollars, that's without the tank which would be another grand for a good sized tank. now where would I mount the tank? bed space is crucial as I only have a 6.5ft bed losing 12-18 inches would be huge has anyone ever mounted this under the truck or do they have a square tank that fits in the bed?

We used to have a propane ford, round bed tank. I think most people are scared of running out and not being able to fill up. Something else to consider is that if the factory fuel system isn't used it deteriorates. Imagine trying to sell a truck that is only cng powered. Virtually no market for one, here at least. For us it wasn't an issue, we had a tank to fill it from. And we got the truck for dirt cheap because all it would run on was propane.

I would go around to businesses that have a fleet of pickups and see if you can find one that uses cng. They could probably answer all your questions.

we have propane vehicles at work, and i refuse to drive them..my main concerns are, lack of milage, leaking, smelling propane inside, lack of power, can not refuel anywhere but at a CO. tank. but my biggest bitch is the fact that the CO, nor the manufacturer/installer is willing to produce a CRASH TEST SAFETY DATA on the system... :mad::mad: mine gasser gets 17-19 mpg, propane ones get 12-13. my avg range is about 450 miles propane, about 340..i would rather try to escape a gas fire, than a propane explosion.. :sick:

just my .02

its not a propane conversion its nat gas. also the truck sturts with gas and switches to cng when it warms up so it is dual fuel system. if the tank were compromised the gas would escape into the air as it is a gas. if it were to start on fire it would just shoot out like a nat gas fire in a pipe line since its in the back of the truck the gas would not be confined to one area I think a gas fire would be worse as the gas will spread and get everywhere engulfing the whole truck as the nat gas would be confined to one area. my truck gets 9-10 mpgs I would save approx. 2000 a year in costs and get tax credits to boot. I drive 10000 miles a year at 10 mpgs at 3.50 per gallon that's 3500.00 now 10000 miles at 10 mpgs 1.30 as cng is rated at gallon of gas equivalent (gge) its 1300.00 per year plus tax breaks because its cleaner.

Archived