High frequency noise coming from dash when in 4WD

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not a buzz, it's an extremely high frequency chirp, at random intervals. It's piercing, at a frequency that music can't quite cover up. It gives me headaches.

Can the TCCM be replaced with another mfg's model? Could I rip it out and retrofit a ford or toyota one somehow?

I may try to take the cover off mine and use a stethoscope to find out which resistors are making the noise. Then try soldering in a new ones. I can't use auto 4wd because of the noise.

Resistors don't make noise. Capacitors do and some other electronic components. Good luck

That would be awesome if that's all it is. Awesome, but also extremely embarrassing for GM. I was wondering if it might be some kind of electronic interference or maybe an uneven signal from one of the power leads? If it were just an uneven source, maybe some capacitors would smooth it out? I don't know enough about the TCCM to be able to figure it out though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I made my own cover for the tccm. Bought some matting from amazon and made a box to cover the tccm. Put adhesive to adhesive so I can still remove it. I have tried putting the truck in 4wd and I have not been able to hear it. Waiting for snow for the real test. Very frustrating that I have to do this for a $40000 truck. Feels like I am being punished because I can still hear.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003HIYJ9A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01

IMG_20151013_210846980_zpsju141dcf.jpg

IMG_20151013_210910483_zps7mmntvio.jpg

Well, my dealership couldn't hear anything. I will take it back in a week or two and start hassling them to actually look at it. The noise is bad enough that it gives me a headache. Really makes me pretty angry that I have to tolerate this anytime I need 4wd.

Well, my dealership couldn't hear anything. I will take it back in a week or two and start hassling them to actually look at it. The noise is bad enough that it gives me a headache. Really makes me pretty angry that I have to tolerate this anytime I need 4wd.

My dealership "could not duplicate" as well. Go figure. The noise is beyond annoying and gives me a headache as well. GM reps: if you're reading this.......Please help, or have an engineer acknowledge the problem and let us know it's being looked in to. This thread has 30,000 views. I think that says enough. Please.

They don't care, put simply. It isn't causing a "safety" issue, so they won't fix it. Brand new 2016's still have this same issue. It really seems like it should be an easy fix, but it's kind of like the ignition switch problem, they know it exists, but why fix it, because their cushy union jobs will be safe either way. No incentive to work any harder or fix a problem. Occasionally a GM rep will come on here and try to attenuate the situation by offering to set you up with an appointment at your dealer, but what is your dealer going to do. I would never buy another GM product again. Looking forward to the winter time when I get to listen to the bird chip in my car all winter again... it's wonderful

Archived