High frequency noise coming from dash when in 4WD

I just got that on why my transmission delays and stumbles on finding a gear. Oh it's just these new 6-speed transmissions and all the gears. I hung up I was so frustrated.

When they don't know or it takes too much effort to diagnose, that's the reply they reach for.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please test it some more to see if this worked. My noise seems to be coming from the switch?!? but I've never gone down and listened to see if it's actually coming from the TCCM

Not 100% but definitely better. Just got maybe 1" of snow and is quite slick out. Can only slightly hear it when taking off from a stop while cornering. Can't hear it above the radio now.

Never tried using my 4wd until I saw this thread "had the truck for 2 months." Put it in auto and yep I can hear that screech. Glad I read through this so I know where it's coming from, gonna throw a sheet of dynomat on that location by the pedal.

Mine honestly isn't that bad and I probably never would have noticed it since my radio is always half up and a window half down. But now that I know it's there it will drive me nuts lmao.

I have a 2015 Z71 Silverado 1500 and it does the exact same thing. Drives me absolutely nuts. I try and keep it in 2WD as much as possible just so I don't have to hear it. Brought it to the dealership and it was there for a week. They claimed they couldn't hear it. I have a couple mechanic friends and had them listen for it, they all hear it. They all say it would drive them nuts, too. I don't understand how GM can sell people these trucks for $30-$60k and allow such an obnoxious noise and not do anything about it. PLEASE, GM, DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!!!

Never tried using my 4wd until I saw this thread "had the truck for 2 months." Put it in auto and yep I can hear that screech. Glad I read through this so I know where it's coming from, gonna throw a sheet of dynomat on that location by the pedal.

Mine honestly isn't that bad and I probably never would have noticed it since my radio is always half up and a window half down. But now that I know it's there it will drive me nuts lmao.

You're Welcome :driving:

I have a 2015 Z71 Silverado 1500 and it does the exact same thing. Drives me absolutely nuts. I try and keep it in 2WD as much as possible just so I don't have to hear it. Brought it to the dealership and it was there for a week. They claimed they couldn't hear it. I have a couple mechanic friends and had them listen for it, they all hear it. They all say it would drive them nuts, too. I don't understand how GM can sell people these trucks for $30-$60k and allow such an obnoxious noise and not do anything about it. PLEASE, GM, DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!!!

My dealership couldn't hear it either... I never saw that coming...

What's rediculous is that GM hadn't fixed this, I hated this about my GM. not to try to covert or boast, but my new f150 doedn't make a sound in auto 4wd. Tranny shifts smooth, I get over 5l/100km better city mpg and I don't have to deal with the 4 cyl that neutered my old truck.

Everyone who has this issue needs to report it to GM (not the dealer). Cant stand it on my 2015 A/T, live in northern Canada and need 4WD all the time. Only when enough people lodge a complaint will they even consider to look into it. Maybe they will have this fixed for the 2017's and a replacement part available for the 14-16's but who knows maybe not. I want to get this part switched out before my warranty is up so the more people to lodge a complaint the better for us all who have to deal with this after spending 50k on a truck. If enough people learn about this issue I'm sure GM's sales will fall drastically and they will be forced to fix this joke of an issue.

Welp, my truck is at the dealer right now. First they called me and told me they could not hear it. Then, they figured it out and could hear it when you turn the knob, but the service advisor gave me the runaround that it's normal and is operating correctly and even though no other trucks make this noise, any noise i hear in gm trucks is normal. That's bs, he basically didn't care. He called back later after he found a gm service bulletin telling him some customers may have the noise and that, though they aren't admitting they squeel, everything is fine andthey aren't supposed to do anything to these trucks.

Baaically, they admit there may or may not be a noise, but they should blow the customer off and tell them everything is operating as intended. They are instructed not to perform any service for this issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone that has this issue should post their name and VIN Number on this so I can get the largest list of people possible that are having this issue and I will take one for the team and submit something to the BBB (Better Business Bureau), so we can finally try and get somewhere with this. GM is being completely worthless. I've tried multiple times with GM Corporate even. Still claim they've "never heard of the noise or had a complaint." BS. Let's go after the multi-billion dollar company and get them to issue a recall for a solution.

Has anyone had any success with talking to GM directly? It does no good to bring it to a shop to hear them say "we couldn't duplicate" or it's normal.

It's so damn annoying. How this is deemed acceptable by GM engineers is really beyond me.

My 2015 GMC Sierra All Terrain has the same issue, high pitched screeching when 4wd is engaged. I asked some friends if they could here it and they couldn't from the passenger seat and the back seat. When I had them sit in the drivers seat they could here it. I will ask my dealer about it. Hopefully there is a fix because I liken it to scratching a chalk board with my fingernails.

Archived