High frequency noise coming from dash when in 4WD

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jpella72,

We certainly understand your frustration with this situation. We’re unable to provide bulletin information, but we can definitely reach out to your dealership and discuss your concern further. Please send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and dealership name for further assistance. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Kristen A.

GM Customer Care

GM clearly doesn't care. The only thing they fix is safety related issues, they could care less that we have a high pitch noise that drives us nuts. It should be a simple fix, it has to be some part behind there that is making that noise that could easily be replaced with a different one. This is a good way to loose customers, between all of the recalls this year and subpar sales, there will be another government bailout in the works soon I'm sure.

Sounds like it is coming from the left of steering wheel part of the dash. Anyone consider if it is a bug in the active noise cancellation? Perhaps there is a way to disable that feature (maybe a fuse) to see?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same issue of high pitched noise. I got my truck in novemeber 2013 and i did not notice it then but perhaps it was there. I have 36000km on my truck now and i am noticing this high pitched buzzing alot now. It is very annoying and frustrating.

My 2014 Sierra SLT does the same thing. When I had it at the dealership for repair, the loaner 15' Sierra made the same sound. They called GM technical support for help with the issue. GM said it is a known problem and they are working on it. My service manager then elevated it to the "platform engineer". I have been waiting for 2 weeks to hear back from this person. My guess is they haven't done anything with this issue since it has been reported for over a year.

GM Customer service has been unhelpful too - they just want me to go back to the dealership.

I know it may seem like a small issue, but this sound drives me nuts.

• 3 weeks later...

I've went through the same process. Had it in for the noise, they heard it, tested other trucks that did the same thing. They called GM engineering a filed a case for it. He said (in service manager position of many years) that we should hear back with a fix in a year or so. Pisses me off but nothing that can be done. GM customer care has been a joke. They just call and harrass the dealer (who have actually been pretty good to me) and I'd really rather they harrass engineering. PLEASE PEOPLE.....post if your dealer manages to fix it. We all want to know when a solution arises.

My dealership had me come in today and listen to all of the trucks on their lot. Their technical rep and the engineer wanted to fix the problem by finding a truck that didn't make the noise and swap out my 4WD transfer case module with that one. Unfortunately they all made the same chirping sound.

The service manager said he would pass that info along to the technical rep who would then have to get back in touch with the engineer to figure out what to try next. I asked if there was anything I could do on my end to help speed the resolution along (file with BBB, etc.). He said he wasn't sure, but there have only been two attempts to repair the issue on my truck and now that it is a known issue they won't look at it again until engineering issues a fix. I filed a claim with BBB Auto Line tonight, hopefully that will get me somewhere.

Had my truck in at the shop for 2 days- water leak (bad seal at sat. antenna) and had them listen for the high pitch noise. They heard it and then checked other 2014 and 2015 trucks on the lot. I was told all of them make it and this noise is considered "normal operation". I asked if there is anyone looking into it and they said all the tricks make the noise. Really a shame to have all these issues and it's only a year old.

I was told today by my dealer GM is recognizing this as a problem. It has been elevated from the platform engineer to quality engineering. I assume that means the problem is now being pushed onto a supplier for corrective action. I'm not optimistic that a fix is coming in the next couple of months.

I have been having the same issues as all of you. I bought my sierra in Oct and brought it in within the first week for the high pitched noise. I have been dealing with the dealership and GM since then and today they called and said they can't fix it and they weren't buying my truck back. I filed a claim with BBB and also contacted a lawyer. The lawyer said it was a good case for a class action law suit. All I want is for GM to fix the truck, but apparently that's too much to ask.

I wish we had something similar and as effective as BBB in Canada. I thought I was persistent by calling GM Customer Care (useless) and nagging dealership nonstop. Let us know how that works out. You could be the rockstar that gets GM to fix all of our trucks. It's the only remaining issue with my truck (fingers crossed) but its the worst one as there is snow 6 months of year where I live.

Good luck.

I wish we had something similar and as effective as BBB in Canada. I thought I was persistent by calling GM Customer Care (useless) and nagging dealership nonstop. Let us know how that works out. You could be the rockstar that gets GM to fix all of our trucks. It's the only remaining issue with my truck (fingers crossed) but its the worst one as there is snow 6 months of year where I live.

Good luck.

Google CAMVAP, our canadian version of BBB.

The situation of the 4wd switch is a bit controversial though, since some people can hear it and some don't. My truck might do it, but having a few thousand scuba dives and my hearing is shot and can't hear those tones.

Don't give up. It took me a year to get the problems with my wife's Terrain resolved, and it would no start with no prior warning at all. An absolutely useless and unreliable vehicle.

Canuck,

Good points. People have to be persistent about getting a resolution. BBB may be one avenue but it'll be difficult to get a ton of traction there as it seems to be a perceptive build quality thing that varies by age, preference with no indication the 4WD system doesn't function.

Feedback through customer service and dealers is probably be best bet. You have to realize such an issue (or any) has to be evaluated in scope and severity LONG before it ever gets moved into the engineering, testing, and deployment pipeline. Even then, if the cost that went into a resolution plus the cost of the fix does not outweigh the severity of feedback then they (or, probably most OEMs) can't realistically "bite the bullet" and eat the cost of a repair.

It is interesting this is a rare scenario where age and gender may play a role in the sense of quality here. I am a male and 30 and hear it very faintly in mine. My father and friend both have similar make/model/year trucks so I'll check theirs shortly.

Canuck,

Good points. People have to be persistent about getting a resolution. BBB may be one avenue but it'll be difficult to get a ton of traction there as it seems to be a perceptive build quality thing that varies by age, preference with no indication the 4WD system doesn't function.

Feedback through customer service and dealers is probably be best bet. You have to realize such an issue (or any) has to be evaluated in scope and severity LONG before it ever gets moved into the engineering, testing, and deployment pipeline. Even then, if the cost that went into a resolution plus the cost of the fix does not outweigh the severity of feedback then they (or, probably most OEMs) can't realistically "bite the bullet" and eat the cost of a repair.

It is interesting this is a rare scenario where age and gender may play a role in the sense of quality here. I am a male and 30 and hear it very faintly in mine. My father and friend both have similar make/model/year trucks so I'll check theirs shortly.

Totally agree with you. I understand there are quite a few people unhappy with their trucks, but to be honest some of the complaints where people are invoking lemon law is quite astonishing. I did not know before reading this forum that you could get a buy back when your only complaint was you hear a noise, but the vehicle still operates and goes from a to b. But apparently you can, as some on here are on there 2nd or 3rd truck from the elusive humming noise from the rear end.

In my case with our terrain, the battery would go dead within half an hour of being parked. Sometimes it worked fine for a few months, sometimes only a week. Was at the dealer 6 times trying to get it fixed.

I guess what I'm trying to say is sometimes you have to be patient and persistent. It's not in their interest to buy back a vehicle, obviously; our dealer even insisted I put a battery tender and a portable booster pack in the vehicle, at my own cost. It took a year, but GM finally made good and bought it back with zero depreciation, and I was able to get into my truck at gm cost, and zero tax. A bad situation that in the end allowed me to get into a high end luxury vehicle I couldn't otherwise afford.

Am I trouble free? No, I have to make sure I park in 2w drive or risk having the TCCM lock up; and had one park sensor replaced. Am I ready to invoke lemon law? No, it still starts consistently and gets me where I want to go.

Let us know how you make out testing those other truck.

Archived