High frequency noise coming from dash when in 4WD

I'm so glad for these forums. I've been randomly hearing this high pitch ear piercing noise in my 14 Sierra SLT for the past several months. I couldn't pinpoint what specifically was causing the noise, just that it was coming from the far left part of the dash. I'm glad to actually know what is causing the noise, and that I'm not crazy. To me, the noise is more annoying than finger nails on a chalk board. GM Please hurry up with a fix.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So update with the BBB: GM called the next day after I filed and said they were sorry blah blah blah. They are now trying to give me GM loyalty cash to cover my loss, that way I can trade the truck somewhere else. Still no guarantee, but they don't want this filed with the BBB. They can't do he buy back due to leases aren't covered under the lemon law in Colorado.

Well add me to the list. This is the first time I've really used 4WD and I put it in Auto going to work today and sure enough I heard this same high pitched frequency. I did not switch to 4HI to see if it did it on that setting too or not. But it sounds to me like an electrical issue/frequency and it seems to show up and be tied to shifting to 4wd, accelerating, and gear shifts when driving. It does not sound mechanical. The "operating normal" response from GM doesn't surprise me either. Luckily I don't need 4 wheel drive much where I live. As long as there isn't a major problem, I'm just going to live with it I really don't feel like making a ton of trips to the dealer.

I was to finally able to get to use my 4WD since we got some snow today .... I used the 4 auto, 4 hi and even went into 4 Low and did not get the high pitch noise. Is this something that happens right away or do you have to run it a while before it kicks in ? What I thought was crappy though was it tells you its going into 4WD but never indicates your engaged. No 4X4 dash lights, like most trucks I had in the past.

I was to finally able to get to use my 4WD since we got some snow today .... I used the 4 auto, 4 hi and even went into 4 Low and did not get the high pitch noise. Is this something that happens right away or do you have to run it a while before it kicks in ? What I thought was crappy though was it tells you its going into 4WD but never indicates your engaged. No 4X4 dash lights, like most trucks I had in the past.

Happened for me right away. It's a very high frequency. As for the dash lights, has GM ever had those? I don't remember ever seeing something like that on a GM truck going back to at least 1999.

Not sure if it's different for each model line but on my 14 Denali, in addition to notifying you of the change on the center led display, the actual knob has a blinking light next to each mode, then that light stays on designating which 4wd mode the truck is in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if it's different for each model line but on my 14 Denali, in addition to notifying you of the change on the center led display, the actual knob has a blinking light next to each mode, then that light stays on designating which 4wd mode the truck is in

Yeah I get it ... guess I am just old school with that kind of crap ... thanks for the info guys

Same issue on my end - bought last week - turned it to Auto - high pitched noise - took it to dealer - told it was normal... So disappointed.

GM: you guys must have a solution in the works? Could you give us a sense of how long we will be waiting on a correction for this? Without a solution I am inclined to push for the buy back option.

GM: you guys must have a solution in the works? Could you give us a sense of how long we will be waiting on a correction for this? Without a solution I am inclined to push for the buy back option.

It will most likely be corrected on later model years and we'll either have to live with it or deal with leaving our rigs at the dealer and pushing for a fix. I swear this is the last first-year-run of a vehicle I ever buy from any manufacturer.

No, it's not fixed for the 15's. I stumbled across this thread doing a search for the described noise and found this site. Same thing, 2wd is fine 4wd and auto I get the chirping. It even chirps when the gas peddle is pressed...don't have to get on it, just a little movement with the pedal and like clock work the chirping is there. dealer said same thing, "don't hear it". wife told me I was nuts

Archived