In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
kstruckcountry

kstruckcountry's 2006 Silverado Z71

Stupid Service 4x4 light is back.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Have you replaced the encoder motor sensor? I don't know anything about your symptoms but I know that I had the service 4x4 light on my 06 Sierra. Changed the 4x4 buttons and the light came back on. Ultimately I decided to replace the encoder motor sensor after I read another post about this and the OP was having very similar symptoms with his Chevy truck. It worked for me. It wasn't a very difficult job either. Hope something here helps

2014 Chevy silverado Z71 DCSB w/Bilstein 5100 level

Edited by Knotsure

The whole shebang (4x4 motor and assembly) has been changed twice now. I'll scan it first and see if it's the issue again. If it is, I'll throw a new one in, and take the old one apart and try to figure out a way to proof it from whatever keeps ruining it.

It's annoying because the Auto 4x4 is one of my favorite features, but it's my only reoccurring issue. It happened 4 years ago, then again about 2 years ago.

Edited by kstruckcountry
  • Like 1

I have an extra oem used 4x4 push button switch if you need one. $25 on ebay, I'll do 20.

I have an extra oem used 4x4 push button switch if you need one. $25 on ebay, I'll do 20.

Thanks, hopefully I get it figured out soon. If the switch is the issue I'll definitely let you know.

• Like 1

Update at ~144k

The rear end noise I'd been experiencing under deceleration/coasting was a bad bearing on the carrier. I went all out on the replacement, so I don't have get it done again. Eaton TruTrac, all new seals and bearings and rear brakes. Eaton was even running a $50 rebate. I did a brief test of the TruTrac and it's more of a "proactive" system; I'd consider the G80 reactive in comparison. So far much smoother and predictable.

The ATW tires were just rotated for the first time and I can't spot any irregular wear with 55 front 45 rear. The traction is still incredible and they are running very smooth with the balancing beads.

Here's a picture of the trashed bearing race:

20170310_222547_zps0ahekrtw.jpg

Edited by kstruckcountry

Update at 146.5k miles:

Pickup has developed a shake at idle. It's only directly after starting, and only when the engine is warm. After 30 seconds or so of idle, it fades out and runs like normal. No CEL, so I'm thinking it's a dirty MAF.

At 173xxx miles, the balancing beads seemed to have lived out their usefullness. Tires started vibrating significantly, so I had them taken out and wheels rebalanced. Kind of a bummer since they worked well at first.

Pulled a large pontoon last weekend, and the pickup did great. I did see coolant temps around 220 on the longer hills, though, so I'm thinking it might be time for a fresh water pump.

200,000 mile bump, actually about to roll over 201k. Trusty rusty is holding together still, no major issues to report.

I am now on my 2nd set of Cooper ATW's, and I have not had a flat since switching to 10-ply tires; over 100,000 miles since my last flat.

I am on my 3rd 4wd encoder motor change, and now have a spare 4wd motor just in case. Need to rebuild the old one and see how much water is in it.

• Like 3