Problem with stock projector headlights.

Has anyone had issues with their GMC Sierra's projector headlights being aimed way to the right? On my 2014 All Terrain the beam on both lights point toward the right so bad, the headlights light up the shoulder and ditch more then the road. Has anyone had this problem or figured out how to adjust the projectors left to right yet?

Thanks for any help

Yes, your lights seem to be out of alignment.

If you raise the hood, on top of the headlights there's an adjustment knob that can be turned with a phillips screwdriver (pic attached). I can't remember if it adjusts left/right or up/down, but maybe Mr Drag can answer for us..? Park about 30' from a wall & see if you're able to adjust the beams where you wan them. If not, head to the dealer. Good luck.

post-34923-0-19049900-1386078205_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys but this isn't a vertical up and down issue, I figured out how to adjust that but I thank you for the advise. This is was left to right beam aiming issue, and I have a update, after a few hours of playing with the 3 different bulb types the 9012 that came standard and I hate sooo damn much, the 9005 & 9006, philips crystal vision. I have found that my truck doesn't like the 9005 & 9006 bulb fit, for whatever reason the way the tabs are on the 9005 & 9006 Philips bulbs don't align right in my projector lights , however I don't know if all 9005 & 9006 are built the same possibly sylviana are made differently. At least I hope . If not I'm stuck with theses crappy bulbs until I can find a hid kit for 9011 or 9012. But thanks for checking my post and giving me the advise. If you have any more ideas or ways I can get a better bulb to work I'm all ears! I hate the 9012bulbs, gm really dropped the ball with this they had a shot to go with hid projectors and pissed down their leg. I'm always open to better ideas , I'm former Army and live by work smarter not harder code. Thanks again this is a great place I found so much info here and yall seem like a great community. I hope to have pics of my truck , both my 08 & 14 on here soon.

yea a 9006 bulb should fit. There is a big thread on here about converting to HID's. basically guys are ordering 9006 HID's kits and harnesses and running them like that. 9012 and 9006 bulbs should have the exact same "key" on the back and fit in the same slot.

Good luck getting it worked out.

I understand there is a post already about how to install HIR to HID. That is not my issue guys, When I install the 9006 bulbs we aren't talkin a little out of alignment, it's going from straight forward beam to a beam that is now over the the right almost 2-3 feet on the driverside and almost 2 feet on the passenger side . This is on a low beam setting measured at 40ft, that is a lot when driving at night, when driving at night it looks like the beams are pointing over to the shoulder of the road , I have not messed with factory height on the vertical setting.

Now looking at the 9012 bulb it does look like the 9006 should fit, just might not be able to put in the exact way the factory on went in , that's what I'm gonna try next. If that don't work I'm putting in 9011's they have 10 more watts at 65, maybe they will be aliltte brighter. Still I thank y'all for your held and advise im not throwing in the towel yet. Still open to any and all suggestions. Thanks

I understand there is a post already about how to install HIR to HID. That is not my issue guys, When I install the 9006 bulbs we aren't talkin a little out of alignment, it's going from straight forward beam to a beam that is now over the the right almost 2-3 feet on the driverside and almost 2 feet on the passenger side . This is on a low beam setting measured at 40ft, that is a lot when driving at night, when driving at night it looks like the beams are pointing over to the shoulder of the road , I have not messed with factory height on the vertical setting.

Now looking at the 9012 bulb it does look like the 9006 should fit, just might not be able to put in the exact way the factory on went in , that's what I'm gonna try next. If that don't work I'm putting in 9011's they have 10 more watts at 65, maybe they will be aliltte brighter. Still I thank y'all for your held and advise im not throwing in the towel yet. Still open to any and all suggestions. Thanks

So the stock 9012's are aligned correctly?

Check the spacing from the base of bulb to the actual filament on the 9012's v/s the 9005/9006's you purchased ( know HID's often include several gaskets/rings so that the bulbs seat in the proper position) and ake sure the 9005/9006 are sitting flush in the housing. If both aren't correct, the focal point may be out of alignment enough to cause your right-bias.

So....why are you trying to put 9006's in then if the 9012s fit and are aligned fine?

I know in theory they should fit, I don't think they should necessarily be brighter, even if they are rated for more watts.

So....why are you trying to put 9006's in then if the 9012s fit and are aligned fine?

I know in theory they should fit, I don't think they should necessarily be brighter, even if they are rated for more watts.

No one makes a "white" 9012 bulb (yet), so if you want non-yellow halogen bulbs you have to go with 9005 or 9006's.

That's why alot of us have switched to HIDs... they're closer to true white than any halogen bulb, but involve more time/effort to install (check out giant "HIR to HID" thread if you're curious).

No one makes a "white" 9012 bulb (yet), so if you want non-yellow halogen bulbs you have to go with 9005 or 9006's.

That's why alot of us have switched to HIDs... they're closer to true white than any halogen bulb, but involve more time/effort to install (check out giant "HIR to HID" thread if you're curious).

No yea I get why. Idk the 9012's just dont seem to bother me all that much as it bothers everyone else. ha. I've been in that thread a lot.

That's exactly why, I can not stand yellow lights . Expecailly on the new truck, the white LED outline and a yellow headlight look like crap.

Update : I cant figure out why exactly but the 9005 bulb with both of the larger tabs filed down about 1/8 inch and a added second rubber o-ring on the bulb and it fits in the socket and is aligned perfectly straight. I tried everything with the 9006 , it matched the 9012 in every way but the tabs , & just so we are all clear 9006 bulb tabs do not match the 9012 tabs, the 9012 tabs are 3 large tabs both the 9005 & 9006 have 2 large tabs& 1 small tab. I tried both Philips and Sylviana 9006 bulbs, both kept aiming right . I even filed the right side tab down just to be sure . The 9005 fits with the larger tabs trimmed and double o-rings so I'm not messin with it till I get a good set of HIDs , now I guess my issue is do I get 9006 HIDs or 9005?

Thanks everyone. Can't explain why the 9006 won't work but I got the 9005 workin and so far no one is flashing me.

If you have any clue as to which HID set to go with I'm all ears this thing has thrown me a curve on that headlight set up . Can't imagine it will happen again.

One more thing , how do y'all get your photos and list of mods below your post? If that is in another post let me know I'll head there. Thanks again everyone

If you have any clue as to which HID set to go with I'm all ears this thing has thrown me a curve on that headlight set up .

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/152762-stock-hir-to-hid-headlight-conversion/?p=1378938

One more thing , how do y'all get your photos and list of mods below your post? If that is in another post let me know I'll head there. Thanks again everyone

It's called a "Signature" and you can add/edit it by clicking your pofile name in the top right corner of page, then select My Settings, then click Signature

• 6 months later...

I have a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab. The headlights are terrible, very dim! I have aimed them but they just to dim. I also have 2012 GMC and the lights are great! Does anybody know if GM has a fix for this.

Archived