Disabling Stabilitrak

Thank you badass69. Please let me know. I may try the fuse route too. I just know on my 2010, when the stabilitrac actually malfunctioned it kept chiming every half hour driving me nuts ha ha.

I guess I should have titled this thread "Please give me your opinion of how I should drive according to the conditions where you live "

Lol!

I don't care if you have driven on the road in snow and it works for you. I am one of the 5% that actually goes offroad into the bush and out in the mountains on logging roads. In snow and mud. If I am driving up a 1/2 mile long hill on a right of way and my tires hit ice causing me to spin 60 kph then my brakes start locking up, I am screwed waiting for a cat to come and tow me up a hill I should have been able to drive up. A lot of times it is about momentum and tire speed in order to keep moving.

Or if I have moved over to pass an oncoming logging truck or truck hauling wide heavy equipment and start sliding towards the ditch at 65 kph, I once again don't need the brakes locking up when I have a chance at staying on the gas and pulling it back out.

You don't need to be sideways but if the truck slides or bounces even slightly to the side the stabilitrac kicks in.

Like on a slightly cambered hill.

I didn't buy a Ford or Dodge as I have been a GM person since I was 17 and all the brands come with this baby sitter garbage now. I was aware of this when I bought the truck. But I am looking for a way to make this truck work better for me in the conditions I deal with. This has nothing to do with drifting.

I am simply asking for some help for a problem I have. If you don't have any suggestions and simply want to tell me how you think I should drive, then don't bother wasting yours and my time. There are a few of us that have the same problem and are looking for a solution, not advice on driving.

I realize there are only a few that have this issue but that is why there should be a way for us to shut it off without being in low range. Like on the last model. It worked great on my 2010.

I thought this site was for asking technical questions to try and get help, not for being attacked by someone who thinks they know my driving conditions and thinks they need to give me shit.

If you want it on and like it, then leave it on. If it works for you in your daily conditions that is great. But I don't buy a truck to go to hockey practice in, I buy it for work. That is why I buy a 4x4.

Have a great day :)

Edited by Dirtbiker
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

how do I lock the traction on the stabilitack on,when I hit the button,it always says stabilitrac on traction off .If I pust the button,I turn the traction on,but does not stay on

?? Stabillitrack and traction control are always on. Pushing the button turns traction control off. Holding down the button for a few seconds turns Stabillitrack off, but it will automatically kick in again once you hit a certain speed. This thread is discussing how to have it remain off at any speed.

The other thing I like to do is drive in two wheel drive on icy highways not 4x4. This way when I am doing 50 or 60 mph and it is hard to tell if the highway has become icy, I hit the gas a little and see if the rear tires will spin. This tells me if it is indeed icy. Stabilitrak makes this impossible now.

That's idiotic, why would you not just dab the brakes? I understand not using 4x4, I rarely do no matter the conditions until I need it but that is how you test traction? Does anyone else test if they are driving on ice by stabbing the throttle at highway speeds or do you dab the brakes? This could be a poll...

Tyler

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered my 2WD SLE Z71 w/buckets and 20" wheels in Feb. My excitement about taking delivery is turning to apprehension. Of all the topics I have read before and since I placed my order, this is the only one that concerns me. I knew about StabiliTrak coming back-on over 35mph. I just imagined that the truck would have to be going that fast, not just the back tires spinning that fast. Like the OP, I contend with northern winter and off-road conditions. To maintain momentum (not get stuck) in a 2WD truck, some drift is needed in sloppy conditions. I could never put it as eloquently as Dirtbiker.

My only idea: Will putting the trans in M2 control the wheel speed enough to allow StabiliTrak to remain off, while still allowing enough wheel-spin to maintain momentum through turns?

I hope someone here finds a real work-around.

Edited by PickUPS

What makes you guys think stabilitrack is turning back on after it is turned off?!? Just because the light goes back out!? I don't think it is actually turning back on... I think it is still off at that point. After you turn it off once, no matter how long you hold down the button again, it never let's you turn it off again... So i dont think it is turning back on to begin with... I think once you turn it off, it stays off regardless of the light being on or off.....