Disabling Stabilitrak

What makes you guys think stabilitrack is turning back on after it is turned off?!? Just because the light goes back out!? I don't think it is actually turning back on... I think it is still off at that point. After you turn it off once, no matter how long you hold down the button again, it never let's you turn it off again... So i dont think it is turning back on to begin with... I think once you turn it off, it stays off regardless of the light being on or off.....

The fact the truck hits the brakes when I dont? Hell even the brake lights come on.

• 10 months later...

Stabilitrak on my '15 Sierra frustrates me. Stability control is a pet peeve of mine; one form or another has tried to put the vehicle I was driving into a wall/guard rail. If I forgot to turn one off, it would count as my fault, but one that turns itself back on is like a stab in the back.

• Like 1

I don't want it off all the time, but when I want it off, I want it off - period. The 35 mph cut-off is okay, I guess, but I've found that even though the system claims to be off, it'll still intervene if the truck drifts or slides too far. Annoying.

There is another thread in which they say pulling the ABS pump fuse will disable the ABS and stabilicrap.

I was actually headed home a week ago to try this when my truck went into a skid on ice. This was not a big deal as I counter steered and prepared for the counter swing that would throw my truck back towards the center of the road. Except the computer took over and decided there would be no counter swing, just straighten the truck out as it was pointed towards the ditch. So in I went, then I tried to hit the brakes. But seeing that I was in snow, the computer decided that the brakes should be kicked off in order to let a few signs and an approach slow me down instead.

Thank you GM for driving my truck for me. It will only cost $9000.00 to fix it now.

This garbage works great on dry pavement but does not work on snow and ice. :(

Read this.http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_stability_control

In snow and ice is where this system shines.

If you believe abs and stabilitrak are bad, you should pull the fuse for the airbags too.

Trac control and stabilitrak are great features. But there are times when they are not so great. That's why GM lets you shut them off, unlike airbags. The problem is that once you reach 35 mph, stab. turns itself back on, and doesn't shut back off below 35 if originally shut off.

It could be argued 24/7 on why or why not someone wants trac cont/stab, but this thread is about how to disable it, not if it's good or bad to have it.

• Like 1

Trac control and stabilitrak are great features. But there are times when they are not so great. That's why GM lets you shut them off, unlike airbags. The problem is that once you reach 35 mph, stab. turns itself back on, and doesn't shut back off below 35 if originally shut off.

It could be argued 24/7 on why or why not someone wants trac cont/stab, but this thread is about how to disable it, not if it's good or bad to have it.

It can be done. We use a gm to do friction indexing on the runway which requires abs, stab, and traction to be disabled. If your really clever, you can even wire in a toggle switch in the cab. However the DIC will chime periodically, which can be by passed as well.
  • Like 1

It can be done. We use a gm to do friction indexing on the runway which requires abs, stab, and traction to be disabled. If your really clever, you can even wire in a toggle switch in the cab. However the DIC will chime periodically, which can be by passed as well.

Go on... and pm me

Agree with the OP, put the truck in a whip today at work, when I went to steer out ST had kicked on causing truck to do nothing like it should we steered against each other, nice big parking lot with room, had this happen not onperpose on the roads could have been disaster, but now I know what to expect, goes back to learning how to drive find a snowy empty parking lot and learn, can't learn this in a classroom, and I do this every time I get a new vehicle

• Like 1

I'm sure it can be done. But am looking for the most switchable least intrusive way. Do you mind sharing how you rig the GM vehicles? Sounds like your pulling abs fuse. Please/thank you.