Disabling Stabilitrak

1 hour ago, Austin Schiller said:

I know this is a stupid old thread but I just got a 2014 silverado and I'm trying to figure things out. This comment kind of irked me. For work I drive a 2013 chev express rwd. I was driving to work in the snow and I just started to slide towards the ditch to the right in a straight line going 40 mph. Turned the wheel left and nothing happened. Looking at my 15' deep ditch, I would have turned the wheel left, gassed it and angled the vehicle left to avoid the situation, but ST kept me from doing anything and I kept sliding until the tires hit the grass where I was able to slow down enough. I cant stand vehicles that try to drive for me. Not all of us are just doing donuts, though they are fun and doing them on purpose is way to learn how to correct it when it happens on accident. 

I agree with you. That comment bothered me as well. I’m actually glad you woke this sleepy thread. I was unaware of this and have done some very imbarrasing donuts the last two winters. I’m unplugging the steering position sensor ASAP ?. I use mirrors for reverse. Also, there are probably ways of flashing a BCM. If not, there are modules that will spoof signals from the BCM to operate different functions of the vehicle. Example: http://speedturtleengineering.com/

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
So ummmm.  Great conversation and I agree it’s crap.   But I like having it if I want to use it.  So......Does anyone know how to disable it??
Yes there is another thread somewhere where an absolute hero identified the black wire of the four on the steering sensor plug as the one to disable.

I added a switch in line on that black wire so can turn the stabilitrak on & off at will [emoji106]

Mine is a 2014 so best check nothing changed. You get one warning saying stabilitrak etc is not functioning, clear that & it doesn't repeat until next start up. Also has a little orange indicator to remind you it is off.

2014, 5.3, 4x4, work truck

• 5 weeks later...

Will it disable ABS as well? That's one thing I liked about my Camaro, that I could defeat Stabilitrak and TC, but the ABS still worked. I am not into drifting this heavy hunk of metal, but it really gets frustrating when you are trying to merge into traffic from a parking lot and the slightest slip of the rear tires that happens past 35mph throw the nannies on red alert. I have a 2018, so I don't know how much different the system would be to your 2014. 

Will it disable ABS as well? That's one thing I liked about my Camaro, that I could defeat Stabilitrak and TC, but the ABS still worked. I am not into drifting this heavy hunk of metal, but it really gets frustrating when you are trying to merge into traffic from a parking lot and the slightest slip of the rear tires that happens past 35mph throw the nannies on red alert. I have a 2018, so I don't know how much different the system would be to your 2014. 
The above method doesn't disable ABS, just stabilitrak. Traction control can still be turned off & on with the regular button. Sorry, can't comment on the 2018 wiring.

1 minute ago, Mozzer said:

The above method doesn't disable ABS, just stabilitrak. Traction control can still be turned off & on with the regular button. Sorry, can't comment on the 2018 wiring.

If your truck slips at over 35 mph, TC will not interfere? If that's the case, its a win for me. 

I thought this site was for asking technical questions to try and get help, not for being attacked by someone who thinks they know my driving conditions and thinks they need to give me shit.
If you want it on and like it, then leave it on. If it works for you in your daily conditions that is great. But I don't buy a truck to go to hockey practice in, I buy it for work. That is why I buy a 4x4.
Have a great day [emoji4]

This[emoji3516]is perfectly said.....
We just want to be able to turn it off, and keep it off when we want it off!!

I don't care if it comes back on every time when you restart the vehicle, just as long as it stays off when I push a button.
Same thing with this piece of crap autostop function on the new vehicle's.
I know how to turn off my truck if I wanted it turned off at a stupid stop sign or stop and go traffic,
I don't need a computer that thinks for me.
If you love the nano systems, more power to you..... Keep it on at all times( They work better for my wife, as she is one of those people that they were designed for, people with limited driving skills)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

If your truck slips at over 35 mph, TC will not interfere? If that's the case, its a win for me. 
My traction controls stays off if turned off with the button on the dash, that was always the case. Just the stabilitrak would come back on above 35mph.

On 1/23/2020 at 4:43 PM, Sam Fazzina said:

So ummmm.  Great conversation and I agree it’s crap.   But I like having it if I want to use it.  So......Does anyone know how to disable it??

http://www.tuningbyshanehinds.com/2014-12-gm-truck-stabilitrak-disabler

All you need. Simple yet effective. I learned (the hard way) this is a must when you get stuck on a lake ice fishing in 12" of snow. I don't need the truck trying to drive itself for me!

• Thanks 1

http://www.tuningbyshanehinds.com/2014-12-gm-truck-stabilitrak-disabler

All you need. Simple yet effective. I learned (the hard way) this is a must when you get stuck on a lake ice fishing in 12" of snow. I don't need the truck trying to drive itself for me!
This work for newer trucks as well? Id like to get it for my 17

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

This work for newer trucks as well? Id like to get it for my 17

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I know someone a few posts ago was looking to keep the ABS while turning off stabilitrak and that system in the link does kill all ABS, TC & stabilitrak together. Definitely an easy solution if that works for you though.

I have had the steering angle sensor on my 13 unplugged for over 6 months now and it works fine.  If the truck gets sideways the dash will bring up the service traction control message and chime but it's just a chime and in no way shuts the truck down.  I did it on my 2017 too but I don't like the loss of the 4x4 page on the DIC so I leave it hooked up.  I also don't winter drive the 17 or try and throw it around being it's a 2500HD I solely pull trailer with so I don't worry about it.  If I buy a half ton that's 14+ its definitely getting unplugged.

Yes doing this the abs, cruise control and whatever else all still works.  

Edited by SierraHD17
  • Like 1