2014 Silverado/Sierra Tips and Tricks

Not really a tip or trick but the other morning while waiting for my carpool I jumped in the truck on the passenger side. I turned the key ahead to get the radio come on and then pulled the key out and got out of the truck.. The issue is that unless you open the driver side door the radio will not shut off for 10 minutes. Just an FYI.. I even tried locking, unlocking and relocking the truck but the music kept playing. Not a big deal just something to be cautious of, thieves are more likely to break in a truck that seems to be "on" with the music playing just sitting there as opposed to a locked quiet vehicle.

You don't need the key if you just want to listen to the radio. Just hit the power button. Then it it again to turn it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really a tip or trick but the other morning while waiting for my carpool I jumped in the truck on the passenger side. I turned the key ahead to get the radio come on and then pulled the key out and got out of the truck.. The issue is that unless you open the driver side door the radio will not shut off for 10 minutes. Just an FYI.. I even tried locking, unlocking and relocking the truck but the music kept playing. Not a big deal just something to be cautious of, thieves are more likely to break in a truck that seems to be "on" with the music playing just sitting there as opposed to a locked quiet vehicle.

If you turn the radio back on after it auto shuts off (by pressing power button), same thing happens if you open the drivers door, radio will remain on. Pressing the radio power button will turn it off.

Edited by JJM686

found this one out last night,

tried to remote start my truck with the hood open and it wouldnt work. it worked with the key but not remotely.

That's so you don't 'get' they guy checking your oil when you start it when you can't see it. Lawyers might be right on this one.
  • Like 1

Kinda silly but a iPad mini fits perfectly in the front of the console

IMG_20140313_163340808_HDR_zpstufq1has.j

done the same thing! I love those little trays under the main screen.

GM trucks have done that since at least 2003

My 2002 would chime at me if i left them on while driving straight for a while. :)

Fast idle mode quoted from another thread and found on page 9-28 in the manual

Elevated Idle

The engine has a cold temperature high idle feature which elevates the engine idle speed from base idle

to 1050 rpm for pickup models or 1200 rpm for van models when outside temperatures are below 0°C

(32°F), and the engine coolant temperature is below 65°C (150°F). This feature enhances heater

performance by raising the engine coolant temperature faster.

This feature can be turned on or off using the DIC buttons. If the vehicle is not equipped with DIC buttons, do

the following to turn this feature on or off:

1. Turn the ignition to ON/RUN, with the vehicle off.

2. Press the accelerator pedal to the floor and hold while quickly pressing the brake

pedal three times in less than eight seconds.

3. Release the accelerator pedal and start the engine.

When the engine is started, it will slowly ramp up to the high idle speed after a delay of a few

seconds up to approximately two minutes. For this method to work properly there must be no

throttle or brake pedal faults.

The engine idle speed will return to normal once the following conditions are met:

Once engine coolant temperature reaches 65°C (150°F).

Air intake temperature reaches0°C (32°F).

The high idle speed will be temporarily interrupted and the

engine speed will return to normal if any of the following conditions ccur:

The brake pedal is applied.

The accelerator pedal is pressed.

The transmission is shifted out of P (Park) or N (Neutral).

Vehicle speed is detected.

Once these inputs are removed, the engine idle speed will slowly ramp back up to high idle after the normal

delay, if the conditions for engine coolant temperature and air intake temperature are still met.

• Like 3

found this one out last night,

tried to remote start my truck with the hood open and it wouldnt work. it worked with the key but not remotely.

Does the same thing on my Pontiac.

Even cheap aftermarket auto start kits come with that hood switch for safety reasons... Say you were working on the engine with the key fob in your pocket.

That high idle trick is great info.

I have the 40/20/40 split seats with the 3 cup center arm rest. One thing I asked my salesman was if the rubber piece in the cup holder comes off. I could take the rubber piece out of my 09 and wash it in the sink when needed. Although it was a different design. Well I decided that I was going to find out if the new ones were removable. Here is what I found. There are 3 tabs that are molded into the rubber at the red circles. It will take a slight pull to get them lose but, they will come up. Once I got the piece out I cut the tabs off and the it fits back into the spot nicely. I am now able to take it out and wash it when needed. Also there are cuts at the bottom of the cup slots that will allow anything spilled to leak under the rubber piece. Not a good design I.M.O.

Thanks for this, I thought the same thing as you but was afraid to break something. I pulled it out and black rtv'd the slots on the back side of the rubber holder. I give it 1 week before I spill my coffee in the cup holders!

So just to confirm... The black rubber pad no longer comes in the bottom of the cup holder? My '10 had the rubber pad, my '14 does not have one. I noticed the slots in the bottom of the cup holders last night and was thinking how dumb that design is. I want to make sure my '14 is not missing the rubber pad...

Does dual climate control now only mean separate temperature settings? On my 2010 dual climate meant separate fan settings as well...

Yeah pretty much. One thing I wasn't 100% happy about. I was just happy to have dual climate so I didn't have to suffer when someone in the pass. seat was too hot or cold..