GM definitely has issues with their interior trim pieces quality. While I did not have any problems with my truck in this area(except for the mysterious melting sunvisor), I had two inner door panels on the same door replaced twice in my '09 Impala LTZ due to separation of vinyl from the underlying cardboard on the panel. I had almost all leather seat covers replaced on the rear seats because of poor quality and stitching. At least the car has been mechanically very good and reliable. I am now at 63k miles and everything is good.

Edited by pm26

I plan on waiting until my truck is right at the end of the 3y/36 warranty and then let them fix it, hopefully by that time GM has a proper fix for it.

That's a good plan. The third door panel they replaced on my Impala LTZ under warranty due to separation, was a lot better than the first two and has held up well for a year now. The first two started falling apart after several weeks. They must have installed a better panel form a different batch last time they did it.

If you wait until your 3 year/36k warranty is almost expired, chances are they will give you an improved part that will not warp like the one you have now.

Edited by pm26

I think GM needs to start designing and fitting long pieces of plastic like this in a cold room. Room temp should be at 0F (-17C) to get the piece be at its maximum expansion. They could also strengthen the trim where it is popping up and make it another trim pin location so it will be clipped down. They could also take a different type of plastic that does not expand at the same rate and glue them together.

The amount of heat the interior has to endure is unreal. I saw a show the other week where they would showing that you really have to watch what you leave on console and seats. Leave a pair of glasses there, and when you come back at end of day you come to find holes burnt into the seats, if you are lucky, or you come down to see fire department picking up their equipment. Seem ordinary reading glasses can impersonate a magnifying glass.

Quick fix for GM is to split that piece of trim into two pieces with a floating butt joint where the two pieces now meet, or, lengthen the slots that the clips go into to give dash pieces room to grow.

Couldn't even drive my truck anymore it was bothering me so much. Was supposed to drop it off tomorrow morning but instead just took it in a little bit ago. Not sure what I'm going to do if they can't fix it. Hopefully they'll let me return it. I don't mean to sound dramatic but I'd rather not have it then have a defect staring me in the face like that. I should know more tomorrow.

lol return it. If that was your only issues throughout the entire life of the truck, you're saying its still "bad" enough to return it?!

lol return it. If that was your only issues throughout the entire life of the truck, you're saying its still "bad" enough to return it?!

I know it sounds silly but It really bothers me. Right in my line of sight when driving. Would bother me much less if it was something that I couldn't see while driving. This is the first new vehicle I've ever bought that has had an issue this quick. I didn't take a loan, I paid cash so yeah I think if I'm not happy or satisfied it's not unreasonable to return it and go another route. When you pay $40k + out of your own pocket I think it's OK to be disappointed when pieces of plastic start breaking two days after you drive it out of the showroom.

Just talked to my dealer who has one of the largest and nicest service departments in the State. They talked directly to the guys at GM. They are aware of the issue. The problem is NOT with the small plastic piece at the front with the de-frost vents. It's with the whole dashboard unit (the soft touch piece). Only solution is to rip everything out and replace the whole dash....It's driving me crazy and I'm gonna have them do it. Mine is the worst I've seen from all the other pics I've seen so If you guys can live with it by all means that's my recommendation. Otherwise your dealer should replace the whole dash under warranty. Wish me luck.......this could get ugly.

• Like 1

Just talked to my dealer who has one of the largest and nicest service departments in the State. They talked directly to the guys at GM. They are aware of the issue. The problem is NOT with the small plastic piece at the front with the de-frost vents. It's with the whole dashboard unit (the soft touch piece). Only solution is to rip everything out and replace the whole dash....It's driving me crazy and I'm gonna have them do it. Mine is the worst I've seen from all the other pics I've seen so If you guys can live with it by all means that's my recommendation. Otherwise your dealer should replace the whole dash under warranty. Wish me luck.......this could get ugly.

Could be why I'm not having an issue. The LT's don't have the soft dash.

You sir are a brave man to have the dealer rip apart your brand new truck, my only concern is that yours would be the first one to have the dash replaced.. IMO i'd wait a bit, maybe a better solution, better fix or better replacement part will come out and you wont be the guinea pig!! But hey, have them fix those knob lights while they are at it!! :fingersx:

Edited by brentadams646
  • Like 1

... It happens right about the area where the actual defroster vents start on the right and left. ...

Dido, occurring ever so slightly on my Denali. its probably sticking up only 1 mm, but when the rest of the truck interior is precise, tight and clean, this does stick out easy when you look at it.

Yes the temperature has been -15 degrees (yes negative) for several days now. But I also noticed this since day one when I picked up my truck in Nov 8th when it was in the 50's.

I don't really notice it, but yes this appears to be a quality issue they were not able to mimic during testing. I think this will be a decent flag to GM, as they pronounce how tight and

Why don't you people just buy a nice color matching velour dash cover for about $ 30 so you do not see this defect and then have something done about it when the warranty is about to expire. This way you can at least enjoy driving your vehicle for a few years. I guarantee you that if the dealer rips out the whole dash and installs a new one, your vehicle will probably have all kinds of squeaks and rattles afterward. This happens quite frequently with these kinds of repairs.

And what if the new dash does the same thing? If you wait a few years GM will probably have a redesigned replacement part ready that will not warp. I have experienced this with a door panel on my Impala. The first one they replaced started separating after two weeks, the last one, replaced at the end of the basic warranty, is holding up fine.

Edited by pm26

I think dash pads are ugly and for $45,000 I expect to get a quality product. As for if it happens again, the GM at the dealership said if there are any issues with the truck after my new dash is installed they will replace the truck or give me a refund.

And now the parking sensors don't work and the mirrors are frozen open.