so i understand you need ap8 code showing in glove box. im showing ap8 among many other codes? does the mean i have the remote start prepp package? (ill attatch photo)

also if i do have the correct ap8 code and i want to order my remote onlinw rather than purchase from a dealer how do i know what part number i need? i understand you cant just buy any remote you also need some type of programming code. that comes with it.

my vin number is.. 1GTR2VE7XDZ257401

PLEASE HELP!!! trying to save myself a few bucks at the dealership!!!

post-126097-0-19537000-1386614949_thumb.jpg

That truck is set up for it...

My opinions on it-

#1 It sucks. the range sucks, the runtime sucks.

#2 I upgraded mine to the Large remote with the screen. The remote is huge, the clock is wrong due to my aftermarket radio, there is a large antenna mounted to the inside of my rear window, and the range STILL sucks.

#3 If you are going to do it, just BUY IT FROM THE DEALER unless you have already made sure the dealer will be OK with the install.

I asked my dealer if they would do it and he just said "would you buy a steak at a grocery store and bring it to the restaurant?" they gave me a good price on it and it's their problem if something happens (the first remote GM sent had no paperwork and it was unusable)

DEI aftermarket units start at $199 installed here and I had a Clifford unit on my last truck 1 mile range, LCD screen, etc for $400 I wish I had that back!

You can add remote start for aroud 80 dollars using dei dball and their obd t hardness. It is plug in and turn your key for the dball module to be introduced to your can bus systems. This setup yses your oem fob and activates with three lock button presses. The viper remotes have great range but are extremly fragile. You can also add dei eange extender to use your phone.

I plan on going to dealer to have it done my question now is can I order the remote fob with the code that is needed online to not pay full price at the dealer?

You Can but like I said some dealers are extreme jerks about it... I'd just make sure they aren't going to give you shit about it or flat out refuse to install it just to be jerks.....is it the selling dealer? If so get the salesman involved they can usually get you a discount on the part or make sure they won't screw with you over buying it online and bringing it in...... Let us know how it turns out....

• 6 years later...

Sorry don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but.....I purchased my truck (2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax) used from an individual last year. It has the AP3 code (not AP8 or AP7), but it does have the remote start button on both (factory) key fobs. It isn't working, does nothing. I figured the key fob may have to be programmed, but every web search i've seen is something different than what my truck has. Does the AP3 code not have what is needed to have and use remote start?? If not, what's missing?   Thanks for any help on this matter.

AP3 LOCK CONTROL REMOTE, KEYLESS ENTRY, STAR                                                                                                 
AP7 LOCK CONTROL, ENTRY REMOTE, KEYLESS START, PASSIVE                                                                                  
AP8 LOCK CONTROL, REMOTE ENTRY, EXTENDED RANGE

Edited by Iron Indian