2014+ Exhaust Systems & Mufflers

In the market for a new catback exhaust system and have narrowed it down to 2 (GM Borla system vs Borla S-Type). Have read through the past 50 pages of this forum and listened to every youtube clip I can find and I'm still completely lost on which one to go with. From most of the videos I've watched I really like the sound of the S-type over the GM Borla version which most say sounds closer to the  "touring" model. I'm not looking for something obnoxious on my 18 denali, but want more of a truck sound. Would hate to drop all the cash for the GM version if not much sound difference over stock (can't find a lot of clips of the GM Borla system for sound). I'm just worried about the supposed V4 drone issue with the s type. I spoke to a guy at Borla yesterday and he stated that the drone sound would most likely be present on the highway with the s-type, when it drops to V4 (helicopter sound @ 1300 - 1700 rpm's). However, he said it might be something I'd be able to live with (recommended driving one with an s-type installed, but don't have that option). He also stated I could purchase the range AFM disabler, which keeps truck in V8 all the time (not sure how I feel about that as some have said it throws check engine lights occasionally). PS - truck only has 5k miles on it, still under warranty.  

Do the people with S type have any feedback on if you've heard the v4 drone, or if the s type is too loud (ie wake up the neighbors/piss wife off/in cabin noise)?

Guys with the GM Borla, is the sound aggressive enough, or do you wish it was louder? (any videos of the GM Borla with people getting on it? I've only have found cold starts with no revs, which makes it difficult to compare)

Thanks for any help

PS - probably gonna add the cold air induction CAI as well :-) 

I have the GM Borla on the 5.3L. Not sure if it's because the kids did something to it, as there was a big dent on it when I finally got to installing it, but mine is definitely does not sound anything like a Borla Touring. Someone also said the GM Borla is a little louder than the Borla touring. My friend is running the S-type on his 5.3L and it definitely is on the louder side for me (subjective). As for the V4 chop, it's for sure there if there is no flapper, just depends on how sensitive you are with sound. With the passing of the new exhaust law in CA, I'm thinking of adding in a resonator to calm mine down a bit. Even with the flapper I still do hear very little chop.

I personally think you should go with the GM Corsa for the 6.2 or the Corsa Touring for the 6.2. Sounds awesome. No flapper on these. If you have the 6.2L 8 Speed Range will disable both AFM and Start/Stop. If you have the 10 speed, it will only disable start/stop. I'm just running my in L7 to disable both. I will let AFM do it's job on the highway though.

Edited by 3tspapat
update more info
  • Like 1

Just bought a complete system. Being installed this weekend if all goes well. Once it’s done I’ll post up some videos.

Speed Engineering 1 7/8” long tube headers
Speed Engineering 3” true dual exhaust with x-pipe and mufflers
2 x Borla Pro XS mufflers #400482
Side exit in front of rear passenger tire.

Like you guys I was pretty stressed about what to get and listened to hours and hours of video. I live in a suburban neighborhood and as much as I love loud, aggressive exhausts, I would be pissed if one of my neighbors woke me or my kid up at 6am everyday just by starting their car.

To help quiet things down I added the Pro XS mufflers to the mix because I feel quite confident that long tubes, no cats and the 14” straight through mufflers that come with the SE dual exhaust is gonna be crazy loud. From everything I’ve listened to, the Pro XS sound great on our trucks. Part #400482.

There are some great systems out there from multiple manufacturers. If you have the coin and can go with ARH, SW, Borla, etc... more power to you as they all sound great and the attention to detail from the products I’ve seen is great.

Speed Engineering is hard to beat from a value standpoint and worked with me to allow me to exchange my shorty headers and upgrade to long tubes. For under a grand, I have a full 3” 16 gauge 304 stainless system and Borla mufflers that won’t wake the dead (hopefully) but will sound good (hopefully) and flow better than stock. The 1 7/8” primary’s might be a little too big for a stock engine but I’ll be putting in a cam within the year and who knows what else down the line.

6 hours ago, jdaddy33 said:

In the market for a new catback exhaust system and have narrowed it down to 2 (GM Borla system vs Borla S-Type). Have read through the past 50 pages of this forum and listened to every youtube clip I can find and I'm still completely lost on which one to go with...................

Guys with the GM Borla, is the sound aggressive enough, or do you wish it was louder? (any videos of the GM Borla with people getting on it? I've only have found cold starts with no revs, which makes it difficult to compare)

Thanks for any help

PS - probably gonna add the cold air induction CAI as well :-) 

I had the 5.3 GM Borla (Part No. 19303331) installed by the Dealer on my new at the time 18 Silverado (because I was dumb and felt like wasting $1,500).   It was actually LOUDER than I wanted, and sold it on Craigslist for $400 and then had a simple Magnaflow 12589 installed for another $420 that is absolutely perfect sounding to me and is a nice sounding upgrade over stock.    I think it's mostly the cost of the GM Borla that is crazy, the louder sound is exactly what a lot of folks want (but I didn't).   I thought it sounded exactly like the Borla videos as well.  

Edited by KeyserSoze

31 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

I had the 5.3 GM Borla (Part No. 19303331) installed by the Dealer on my new at the time 18 Silverado (because I was dumb and felt like wasting $1,500).   It was actually LOUDER than I wanted, and sold it on Craigslist for $400 and then had a simple Magnaflow 12589 installed for another $420 that is absolutely perfect sounding to me and is a nice sounding upgrade over stock.    I think it's mostly the cost of the GM Borla that is crazy, the louder sound is exactly what a lot of folks want (but I didn't).   I thought it sounded exactly like the Borla videos as well.  

Good to hear that I'm not the only one who thinks it's on the loud side! I got mine off eBay so didn't pay full price, but it was still a pretty big dent. If I get any complaints from the wife, I will throw a resonator on it to tone it down some. BUT knowing what I know now, I would have just swapped out the muffler a magnaflow instead.

11 minutes ago, 3tspapat said:

Good to hear that I'm not the only one who thinks it's on the loud side! I got mine off eBay so didn't pay full price, but it was still a pretty big dent. If I get any complaints from the wife, I will throw a resonator on it to tone it down some. BUT knowing what I know now, I would have just swapped out the muffler a magnaflow instead.

The GM Borla definitely had more cabin "rumble" as well, IMO, that I didn't particularly enjoy.   I should add that I'm 50 now, and 20 year old me would have definitely wanted MOAR LOUDER,  so I see where all those guys are coming from!  It's just now I don't feel the need to wake up all the neighbors.   I also had a 2002 Tahoe with a Flowmaster 70 on it that was also plenty loud for me.   

Obviously, it looks like the materials quality of the Borla appear to be a bit more upscale compared to the Magnaflow, but overall for the price of the Magnaflow I will let that slide. 

Thanks for the responses, to be honest, you guys are actually making me lean towards the GM Borla hahahaha. I was afraid it was going to be too quiet! Like I said, I really don't want to drop $1500+ and not be able to hear it, but also not looking to be obnoxious....

Thanks for the responses, to be honest, you guys are actually making me lean towards the GM Borla hahahaha. I was afraid it was going to be too quiet! Like I said, I really don't want to drop $1500+ and not be able to hear it, but also not looking to be obnoxious....

Why spend $1500+ on an exhaust? You can achieve the same sound for 1/3 of that price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Yea just get the muffler and swap it. Keep in the flapper and all if you are just wanting the sound. Like I said, if given the opportunity I'd do it differently. The stock pipes are large enough for stock motor and denali has the fancy tail pipe already. With the 6.2 you won't have to worry about not hearing your exhaust. That thing has decent roar even on the stock muffler. It can only get better!

• Like 1

Wanted to show off my exahust setup, nothing crazy but something different that not alot of people have.

Gibson Dual Sport #65663, with their muffler switched out for their more aggressive M.W.A. # BM0109.

Let me know what you guys think!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mitchely03 said:

Wanted to show off my exahust setup, nothing crazy but something different that not alot of people have.

Gibson Dual Sport #65663, with their muffler switched out for their more aggressive M.W.A. # BM0109.

Let me know what you guys think!

I like the way it sounds...what engine do you have? 

I went with Borla Catback exhaust with rear exit on my 2016. Installed in about an hour in my driveway on jack stands. Word of wisdom, drop the spare tire when removing the stock exhaust if you do it in one piece. Makes it much easier.5c3c96a3eb592_IMG_060122.thumb.jpg.cae5e1733b84baef5ab203c031aec73f.jpg

• Like 2