2014+ Exhaust Systems & Mufflers

On 1/17/2019 at 12:34 PM, 3tspapat said:

Back like 10 years ago, the quality of borla was so much better (I think goes for most things). Super clean welds and all. Absolutely shocking to look at, something I would rather put on my wall and look at than under a vehicle. It's still very good today, but definitely not where it's at many years ago. Yesterday had a stock resonator put on before the my GMPP Borla muffler and after the flapper. Definitely toned things down a bit. I felt my system was pretty loud for something that is supposed to be between the touring and S models. I know someone with a  6.2 had installed an XR-1 muffler in the same location. I didn't want to shell out that money and also the stock resonator mated perfectly at 2.75". In the distant future, may go back to the stock pieces and replace the muffler with a magnaflow.

IMG_0143[1].JPG

would you have a audio clip my chance?

On 1/10/2019 at 5:45 PM, KeyserSoze said:

I had the 5.3 GM Borla (Part No. 19303331) installed by the Dealer on my new at the time 18 Silverado (because I was dumb and felt like wasting $1,500).   It was actually LOUDER than I wanted, and sold it on Craigslist for $400 and then had a simple Magnaflow 12589 installed for another $420 that is absolutely perfect sounding to me and is a nice sounding upgrade over stock.    I think it's mostly the cost of the GM Borla that is crazy, the louder sound is exactly what a lot of folks want (but I didn't).   I thought it sounded exactly like the Borla videos as well.  

Did you use your stock exhaust and put the Magnaflow muffler in or was it full custom?

2 hours ago, askibum02 said:

Did you use your stock exhaust and put the Magnaflow muffler in or was it full custom?

The muffler shop was a full service custom place that just built a OEM styled single pipe side outlet and tip.  

2 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

The muffler shop was a full service custom place that just built a OEM styled single pipe side outlet and tip.  

Thanks.  Did you have a resonator installed?  What about V$ drone?

Edited by askibum02

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 1:29 PM, Dearmosd said:

would you have a audio clip my chance?

I don't have one of the system with the resonator installed. Is there any particular sound clip you would want to hear (e.g. inside cab, idling, drive by, etc.)?

40 minutes ago, 3tspapat said:

I don't have one of the system with the resonator installed. Is there any particular sound clip you would want to hear (e.g. inside cab, idling, drive by, etc.)?

Well my mechanic installed a Magnaflow in place of the muffler but the resonator is in the stock location preventing me from adding some exhaust tips so I asked him if we can relocate parts so we can add the tips. His reply was if we rearrange parts/location then I would change the sound also. I really like the sound I have now and wouldnt want to alter too much but I can accept some changes but didnt know how drastic it would be relocating the resonator just behind the muffler so we can bend a pipe from resonator over the axle to connect the tips. I hear sound clips of people removing the resonator but you are one I found to have the resonator (stock) inline with a new muffler so.....

I have a clip of very first start up/idling after install. I will get one of the same condition now so you can see how the sound has changed. But it's still very different than what you're looking for since mine went from no resonator at all to a stock resonator. I think in either case the truck will still sound great with just a slight difference.

On 1/26/2019 at 4:26 PM, askibum02 said:

Thanks.  Did you have a resonator installed?  What about V$ drone?

The OEM resonator was removed with the OEM exhaust and wasn't replaced.    No cabin or V4 drone as far as I can tell.    

The only part from the Borla kit I kept on there was the new flappy valve cylinder deactivation section that leads into the exhaust,  so maybe that new design helps with the V4 drone?   Actually is that part on the left leading into the valve a resonator of some sort?  That is still on the truck.    

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 3.07.31 PM.jpg

Edited by KeyserSoze

That section is just a flex pipe to allow some movement. The whole thing with sound, tone, drone, etc. is subjective. Exhausts that I used to love in my 20s I can't stand these days. My buddy has the S-type and the other a Corsa sport. Both say they have no drone but when sit in their trucks I can't wait to get out. Here are two vids at start up, one without resonator and one with resonator. They both sound same to me. My kids say they can tell the difference and I know the resonator makes a difference because in our recent trip to Vegas, the wife didn't complain about noise (just the seat and suspension being too stiff...I can't believe trucks are made like that). Also with remote start in the AM, I now can barely hear the exhaust inside the house.

Just sold my truck and I had a catback Gibson Metal Melusha setup and it was plenty loud and the tip made it stand out. When I sold my truck they were supposed to return the truck back to stock with me suppling them the original parts, when I went to get the exhaust and Airaid intake, they say they threw the parts away (really) but the did they right thing and replaced the parts, so now I have a new exhaust and intake with no truck. So if anyone is interested let me know! Don’t know if it’s ok to post this. But yeah it was nice sounding beast.

On 12/11/2013 at 8:09 PM, Escalade1979 said:

Ok so this is my first truck, and it def needs to louder!!! I want people to hear me coming!

My question is what is best to accomplish this? My friend said there is no need to do a full system, said something about putting on 2 flow masters and pipes either out the back or off the sides. Also said something about 1 pipe out of the cat to 2 pipes?

Sorry for my ignorance in this subject!

Thanks

What’s up man. You can do a simple muffler change to a single 4 inch tip or dual 4 inch tips Corsa style like mine. I just put in a Carven TR muffler and it sounds really good, but they make a Carven RPT and a Carven R that are a little louder but sound really good as well. Adding headers will make your truck a lot louder. 

EB1448BF-8F46-483A-A5E3-494B70905D42.jpeg

What’s up man. You can do a simple muffler change to a single 4 inch tip or dual 4 inch tips Corsa style like mine. I just put in a Carven TR muffler and it sounds really good, but they make a Carven RPT and a Carven R that are a little louder but sound really good as well. Adding headers will make your truck a lot louder. 
EB1448BF-8F46-483A-A5E3-494B70905D42.thumb.jpeg.97ca67b01b45940b2186fba7119b8449.jpeg

Did you replace the back piping too? If not how'd you get it tucked so nicely to the fender?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, jgraves13 said:

Did you replace the back piping too? If not how'd you get it tucked so nicely to the fender?

I just ran all new 3” pipe from the muffler and asked them to have the tips flush with the fender. I will say when I had this setup, I had a slight whistle at WOT (as if the sound wasn’t equally putting out both tips.) right now I have a 4” single tip angled a tad different, but I’m going to be going back to the dual tips soon. It looks better and sounds a tad better. Then again, I have headers on my truck so it’s already louder lol 

I just ran all new 3” pipe from the muffler and asked them to have the tips flush with the fender. I will say when I had this setup, I had a slight whistle at WOT (as if the sound wasn’t equally putting out both tips.) right now I have a 4” single tip angled a tad different, but I’m going to be going back to the dual tips soon. It looks better and sounds a tad better. Then again, I have headers on my truck so it’s already louder lol 

Gotcha. Kind of wish I would've fine that route, I just had a pipe welded in for the resonator and kept the stock piping.