Block Heater

sareljr

I believe diesels get them as standard and all gas engines have it as an option. In some states/provinces the block heater may be a forced option. Look for a cord under the hood or pull back the fender liner and see if the heater has been installed in place of a freeze plug.

Would it show on the original window sticker?

I would imagine so. However if a dealer installed it it won't be there. Dealer/upfitter-installed items are typically on a smaller sticker that appears next to the main one.

Block heaters are an option on 6.0's. Most dealers in northern climates force them on all their orders. I custom ordered mine here in Alaska, and the block heater was a forced option. While filling out the order on GM's web-page it was an option, when finalizing at the dealer it was automatic.

I ordered mine with a block heater. It was a standalone extra cost option and I'm pretty sure it was on the window sticker. If the dealer installed it after a sale it would not be.

DEWFPO

Mine was an option which I chose. However, found out later, the stupid thing only works below a certain temp even if you've got it plugged in ready to go?? So, since my garage rarely gets quite that low (I forget how low), I haven't used it yet. I'd dearly love to give it a chance to warm up a bit before I start it many days in the winter . . but I don't get to choose. Stupid.

Mine was an option which I chose. However, found out later, the stupid thing only works below a certain temp even if you've got it plugged in ready to go?? So, since my garage rarely gets quite that low (I forget how low), I haven't used it yet. I'd dearly love to give it a chance to warm up a bit before I start it many days in the winter . . but I don't get to choose. Stupid.

It only turns on below zero degrees F.

On my 05 8.1L gasser the cable is on the driver's side because the block heater in one of the freeze out plugs on that side.

From the factory they only energize below 0 degrees F on the gassers but that is easily fixed by cutting open the thermostat blister on the plug wire with a utility knife and sticking a small metal washer in there between the metal contacts. So it comes on whenever it's plugged in or the timer comes on. That works and costs virtually nothing. Or, you can go to NAPA and buy a regular block heater replacement cord that does not have the built in thermostat. I've done both and they both work well.

DEWFPO

It only turns on below zero degrees F.

Isn't that only true for gas engine ones though?

And I should have read all the posts, since this was answered above

Archived