2014+ Lowering / Drop Kits

Hey guys,

I think I have decided where I want to start with my lowering. I hope to order spindles for the front, and 2” lowering shackles and remove the rubber block between the leafs and the the axel. Should be about 2/3.5ish. Should maintain a little rake when empty and level out when I have my bike in the back ?

will I need new, shorter bolts for the leaf springs and what about shock extenders? Anything else I am forgetting?

Thanx,

Krunch

Hey guys,

I think I have decided where I want to start with my lowering. I hope to order spindles for the front, and 2” lowering shackles and remove the rubber block between the leafs and the the axel. Should be about 2/3.5ish. Should maintain a little rake when empty and level out when I have my bike in the back [emoji41]

will I need new, shorter bolts for the leaf springs and what about shock extenders? Anything else I am forgetting?

Thanx,
Krunch

Belltech kit comes with spacers, I think it's part #6401. I have a 17 crew cab and it dropped mine exactly 3". My 14 crew cab only dropped 1.75" with 2" shackles. The block b/w the axle and springs is 1.25". Fender height on my 17 is within less than 1/4" all the way around.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I was leaning towards McGaughys parts. I think I read something about having to cut a nut or something on the Bell spindles? 

Was also considering ordering new, shorter bolts to eliminate spacers completely. 

Do I need shock extenders and different bump stops for the rear drop I am planning?

Thanx,

Krunch

I was leaning towards McGaughys parts. I think I read something about having to cut a nut or something on the Bell spindles? 

Was also considering ordering new, shorter bolts to eliminate spacers completely. 

Do I need shock extenders and different bump stops for the rear drop I am planning?

Thanx,
Krunch
You dont need shock extenders for 3 inches. I did the 2 inch shackles and flipped the block for 3 inches and didn't need anything.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanx,
Krunch
If you have 4 wheel drive then you'll need to trim the upper ball joint stud so it's flush with the nut. If you run smaller than 20" wheels you may need to trim the lower balljoint stud. I would recommend shock extenders. It'll help keep your shocks in their operating zone. As long as your u bolts don't show any signs of deformation I would say they're OK to re use. I would change them if you remove them a second time though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, lovelessjl said:

If you have 4 wheel drive then you'll need to trim the upper ball joint stud so it's flush with the nut. If you run smaller than 20" wheels you may need to trim the lower balljoint stud. I would recommend shock extenders. It'll help keep your shocks in their operating zone. As long as your u bolts don't show any signs of deformation I would say they're OK to re use. I would change them if you remove them a second time though.

Ii have 4WD, I have 20” stock rims and winter tires for winter, and just bolted on the 22” summer rims and tires. So I don’t need to trim any studs?

would consider reusing the bolts but I would also need to buy spacers anyway right?

thanx,

krunch

Edited by krunch

16 minutes ago, SirenRed16 said:

You dont need shock extenders for 3 inches. I did the 2 inch shackles and flipped the block for 3 inches and didn't need anything.

Flipped the block? I thought it got deleted?

thanx,

krunch

Flipped the block? I thought it got deleted?

thanx,
krunch
Yes the shop that did the work flipped the block from under the leaf springs to on top or vise versa can't remember which way but it also gave me 3 inches in the rear.

8 minutes ago, SirenRed16 said:

Yes the shop that did the work flipped the block from under the leaf springs to on top or vise versa can't remember which way but it also gave me 3 inches in the rear.

Hmmm... I think I understand what they may have done, and doing this may have eliminated the need for spacers on your bolts. If that’s what they did, I wonder if they added some sort of plate between the top of the rubber block and the u-bolts so the bolts wouldn’t squat into the rubber?

thanx,

krunch

Ii have 4WD, I have 20” stock rims and winter tires for winter, and just bolted on the 22” summer rims and tires. So I don’t need to trim any studs?

would consider reusing the bolts but I would also need to buy spacers anyway right?

thanx,
krunch
You will need to trim the top stud for sure. It's to make room for the cv axle. You might need to trim the bottom stud to fit your winter set, if you do just removing the unthreaded portion will be plenty. Your 22s will clear fine.

Hmmm... I think I understand what they may have done, and doing this may have eliminated the need for spacers on your bolts. If that’s what they did, I wonder if they added some sort of plate between the top of the rubber block and the u-bolts so the bolts wouldn’t squat into the rubber?

thanx,
krunch
The block isn't rubber, it's steel and nothing to cut. McGaugheys and Belltech shackles are exactly the same. You could relocate the block to avoid needing spacers, but not sure what that involves. May have iterference with the spring stud.

• Thanks 1

What about bump stops? Will I need to replace or modify the OEM ones?

Thanx,
Krunch
Not for 3", I've had no issues. Actually rides better than stock to me. I don't pull a trailer or haul anything though.

• Thanks 1

I am new member to this forum and I have a question about lowering kits. I've read all the way back to page 146 and it seem like the best way to go is either Belltech or McGaugheys for a 4/6 drop kit on my 2014 Crew cab Silverado. I have the opportunity to purchase a INEZ 4/6 lower and upper A arm flip kit for a very good price and its tempting. What are the pros and cons with this kit. Should I stay away from this kit? Thanks