Silverado tonneau cover BAK RollX

Just purchased a 2014 crew cab in tungsten metallic, should be here next week. Since i'm in MN I need to put a tonneau cover on it immediately. Anybody have any experience with the BAK RollX, looks nice and i like the roll up design, prior was an access cover that wasn't bad but like the hard top.

A truck at work used to have a roll top cover it was abused so after awhile it was hard to close and would get stuck, I'm sure they are better now. I have a fold a cover and like it a lot it's the best cover I have had. I used to have a bak flip fibermax which was a great cover as well but I like the fold a cover better.

I think the dealer I bought from had one on display it looked nice but I went for an access softrollup instead, the price was a little higher then i wanted and I thought it would take up a lot of room even rolled up.

I was VERY tempted to get the Roll-X for mine, but opted to go for the Bak-Flip VP instead. My fear(s) with the Roll-X is that the latching bars that run the length of the cover may be prone to getting snow/ice build up (if you have the cover open at all) and freeze up, leading to the inability to either open and/or close the cover properly. I've seen one or two videos online where it looks like guys have had to hit the levers to get the cover to release (NOT in a snowy climate/video) so I didn't want to take the chance here in the snowy North. Otherwise, looks like a wicked cover! So I'm getting the Bak-Flip VP installed later this week. Looking forward to it. Looks nice, "idiot-proof" (not much to go "wrong"), and still a very versatile cover (secure, and with the ability to access the whole box).

I was VERY tempted to get the Roll-X for mine, but opted to go for the Bak-Flip VP instead. My fear(s) with the Roll-X is that the latching bars that run the length of the cover may be prone to getting snow/ice build up (if you have the cover open at all) and freeze up, leading to the inability to either open and/or close the cover properly. I've seen one or two videos online where it looks like guys have had to hit the levers to get the cover to release (NOT in a snowy climate/video) so I didn't want to take the chance here in the snowy North. Otherwise, looks like a wicked cover! So I'm getting the Bak-Flip VP installed later this week. Looking forward to it. Looks nice, "idiot-proof" (not much to go "wrong"), and still a very versatile cover (secure, and with the ability to access the whole box).

Yea i'm in MN and worry about the snow too, although most of the time it would be shut i'd hate to have it freeze when i open it during bad weather and have issues…. only reason i don't like th Bak-Flip is cause you can't see out the back window, i may just go with a soft rollup again…

Im debating the roll-x vs fibermax for mine, like the function and look of the roll better but the simplicity, tested nature and fewer parts may sway me to a hard folder like the fibermax

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

I couldn't decide about the vp or roll-x either. Decided to go with the vp and am very happy with it. Make sure the drain tubes at the front of the bed get installed. Mine weren't in the box. One thing to think about is how it will work with snow and ice on top of it. I am in SC and had the I cover frozen to the truck one morning. Had to take my knife and go between the seal and the tailgate to even get the tailgate open and then when I picked up the cover it wouldn't fold. Not complaining just thought that might help your decision since you will deal with the cold much more than I do.

So I just had the VP installed a couple days ago. So far, I'm pretty pleased with it. Looks nice, and seems pretty user-friendly. Now let's see how it handles the elements (aka: Canadian winter!).

Ironically enough, now that I've already made my decision on the VP vs. the Roll-X, I just spoke to a co-worker who apparently has the Roll-X on his F150. He says he really likes it and hasn't had any issues. He DID say that in the extreme cold weather, it's a little bit stiff to roll up, but it hasn't caused him any problems yet. So maybe I could have / should have tried the Roll-X, but it's a little late. I think I'll stick with the VP at this point. It may not flip up as quick/easy as the Roll-X rolls up, but it's not that difficult either. And for how often I'll ACTUALLY have it blocking my rear-view? I don't think it'll be all that often (although my co-work says he tows a large camper trailer a lot, and has the cover fully open quite a bit, so likes that the rear-view out the window isn't fully blocked).

I also opted to get the Bak Box. Pretty cool! It can actually hold quite a bit of stuff. Don't know if I'll even make full use of it, but like that there's a place to throw a trailer hitch, some ratchet straps, booster cables, etc., that isn't just laying loose in the back of the truck. And at least it has the ability to flip up (mostly) out of the way.

Archived