Oil Filter on too tight to remove

Sometimes different brands of filters vary every so slightly in their sizes. I know when I've used Wix fitlers they are a hair smaller in diamenter than the AC Delco filters. If it wasn't put on by a gorilla I've had luck wrapping a little duct tape around the filter and then putting on the cap wrench. Usually I can get it off that way. Good luck.

• Like 1

Get one of these. They work better than the socked style when it's tight. IIRC they cost $10.00

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/OEM-3-legged-oil-filter-wrench-for-imported-and-domestic-cars/_/N-25ra?itemIdentifier=114009_0_0_

Went to change the oil today drained the crankcase and then tried to get the filter off of my 2011 5.3 V8. The end cap filter wrench just slips on the end of the filter. Short of going on a rant at the place that put it on, any ideas?

Since you've drained the oil already go with the screw driver.

Poke it thru the bottom of the filter and turn.

so long

j-ten-ner

Funny the screw driver trick is mentioned. Years ago I was doing an oil change for my step father. No one had a garage (and weren't allowed to work on their cars where they lived) so they would drive down by the railroad track and pull the oil plug and filter and let it drain in the stones. Well I drained the oil but couldn't get the filter off. As a last resort I drove the screw driver thru the filter and started turning it. The only thing that happend was the metal started ripping away and the filter (what was left of it) still wouldn't budge. Now there I sit close enough to the tracks that if a train came by it could possibly hit the car. I could of started it up to move it but would of pump all the oil out in about 30 seconds. Then I wouldn't have any oil. So we ended up pushing it away from the tracks. Then getting a ride to my step fathers house where I had tools in my car. Got my tool box and went back. And ended up cutting the filter away with a hammer and chisel. The lesson I learned was do your own oil change and only tighten the filters hand tight. Over the years I have had dealers offer me free oil changes. And I told them no thanks I will take care of it myself.

Good Luck if you have to use a screw driver.

• Haha 1

Funny the screw driver trick is mentioned. Years ago I was doing an oil change for my step father. No one had a garage (and weren't allowed to work on their cars where they lived) so they would drive down by the railroad track and pull the oil plug and filter and let it drain in the stones. Well I drained the oil but couldn't get the filter off. As a last resort I drove the screw driver thru the filter and started turning it. The only thing that happend was the metal started ripping away and the filter (what was left of it) still wouldn't budge. Now there I sit close enough to the tracks that if a train came by it could possibly hit the car. I could of started it up to move it but would of pump all the oil out in about 30 seconds. Then I wouldn't have any oil. So we ended up pushing it away from the tracks. Then getting a ride to my step fathers house where I had tools in my car. Got my tool box and went back. And ended up cutting the filter away with a hammer and chisel. The lesson I learned was do your own oil change and only tighten the filters hand tight. Over the years I have had dealers offer me free oil changes. And I told them no thanks I will take care of it myself.

Good Luck if you have to use a screw driver.

Draining the oil in the stones of a rail road track...

Karma's a bit**...

:fingersx:

so long

j-ten-ner

Get one of these. They work better than the socked style when it's tight. IIRC they cost $10.00

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/OEM-3-legged-oil-filter-wrench-for-imported-and-domestic-cars/_/N-25ra?itemIdentifier=114009_0_0_

+1 These things never lose. Never. Everyone should have one for back up. I use the cup to remove mine, but that's because I hand tight them on :) When I get a new truck (used) and it's too tight, I always pull this puppie out and it never fails.