2014+ Power Tailgate Lock installed

installed mine last night. it was pretty easy for me as I used to install caraudio back in the day.

but I just ran my wire along the factory wire loom on the drivers side, then up into the cab through the same grommet as the parking brake cable. I was able to feed a screwdriver through the same hole with the wire taped to it. I was able to cut off about 3 feet of excess wire and run it right up into the loom by the drivers door under the carpet. did not have to cut or drill anything!

works like a champ!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In case this can help someone I'll post some pics from my install. The wires are the thicker ones if there are some the same color. I used my girl's sewing pins to poke into the wire and test before making my final install. I then pull back the insulation and wrap the wires onto the factory wire. Then solder them up before wrapping them with silicone tape and zip ties to make sure it never comes loose.

AMP Steps

Amp steps 1

Amp steps 2

Well, I am jealous of you guys that got 'er done in under an hour...

Tried to install today and failed...round 1 - failed install.

Got the tailgate stuff done and started to run the long wiring harness to the front of the truck. As I connected the short and long harnesses together, one of the wires came out of the connector on the short harness. Spent time trying to get the pin out of the connector to fix it and gave up. Placed a call to Pop N Lock, we agreed quickly not to try any more to fix it and now a new short harness is on the way. Good customer service. Stay tuned for round 2...

Chuck I may need your assistance on this on since it's next on my to do list and it looks like we are in the same city.

Sure. I didn't get very far though. I'll let you know when I get it finished. Kinda disappointed that the darned wire cam out of the connector!?!

Well, I am jealous of you guys that got 'er done in under an hour...

Tried to install today and failed...round 1 - failed install.

Got the tailgate stuff done and started to run the long wiring harness to the front of the truck. As I connected the short and long harnesses together, one of the wires came out of the connector on the short harness. Spent time trying to get the pin out of the connector to fix it and gave up. Placed a call to Pop N Lock, we agreed quickly not to try any more to fix it and now a new short harness is on the way. Good customer service. Stay tuned for round 2...

Pop N Lock customer service sent me the new short harness and all is working great now...round 2 - COMPLETE WIN

Thanks to Moto's instructions and all the rest of you guys who posted pics of the wires!

Edited by chuckl1218
  • Like 1

Pop N Lock won't honor warranty for kits sold at retailers like Amazon. From the Pop N Lock website...

Please note that Pop & Lock™ Products purchased on auction sites such as Ebay, Amazon and Craig's List, etc. will not be covered under factory warranty under any circumstances. Pop & Lock™ LLC (and Pop & Lock™ Corporation) is unable to verify whether products sold through auction sites are new, used, or refurbished, therefore, Pop & Lock LLC (and Pop & Lock™ Corporation) is unable to warranty such purchases. Pop & Lock LLC advises using extreme caution when purchasing our locks through auction sites as you'll be doing so at your own risk.

If you aren't concerned with the warranty issue then I think that is about the lowest price I have seen.

• Like 1

Yeah something to consider. Amazon is $79 and free 2 day shipping (I'm a Prime member) while direct from Pop and Lock will cost me $115 ($99 + $15 shipping). It's only a 1 year warranty so may be worth the small risk to save 1/3 the Pop and Lock price....

Edited by Nickshu

Installed mine today, works great! Took me about an hour to install, but I'm slow and very detail-oriented. Cut out, spliced and shrink wrapped the excess cable, carefully routed things, it was helpful to drop the spare tire to get access to route and secure the cable here (Plus I got to try the spare tire mechanism for this first time, good practice if I ever get a flat). I did use the supplied alligator jumper connectors, but they are pretty bulky and tough to fit the hinged cover back on with them in place. I like the post above with it soldered, I may go back and do it this way later.

Edited by Nickshu

Pop N Lock won't honor warranty for kits sold at retailers like Amazon. From the Pop N Lock website...

Please note that Pop & Lock™ Products purchased on auction sites such as Ebay, Amazon and Craig's List, etc. will not be covered under factory warranty under any circumstances. Pop & Lock™ LLC (and Pop & Lock™ Corporation) is unable to verify whether products sold through auction sites are new, used, or refurbished, therefore, Pop & Lock LLC (and Pop & Lock™ Corporation) is unable to warranty such purchases. Pop & Lock LLC advises using extreme caution when purchasing our locks through auction sites as you'll be doing so at your own risk.

If you aren't concerned with the warranty issue then I think that is about the lowest price I have seen.

This same thing was brought up about the Bak Flip F1 cover. I contacted them and they said it was a mistake and it was intended for items not sold from a retailer. They said if I purchased it from Amazon and have a receipt for it that they would honor the warranty. If you buy it from some guy that is not a retailer then you will not get a warranty. This is likely the same thing here. If you do buy from Amazon and not some guy selling on Amazon you will likely be fine. Of course, you would have to contact them to confirm. It would be pretty silly for them to not recognize the worlds largest online retailer as a valid seller. I got mine from there and at $80 I couldn't care less if they honor it really.

Edited by Crf450r420
  • Like 1