Towing with lifted 14 z71

Hello all purchased my 2014 October bought it lifted with 35" tires and was wondering how to tell what gears I have and any things I might need to do as I tow a travel trailer with it about 6-8 times a year weight is about 5500lbs I towed it from Oklahoma City to ft worth Texas about a month after I bought it did ok about a 3 1/2hr drive got about 8 mpg(used a full tank each way)but kind of expected that with the lift and everything any idea if different gears or anything would help with towing and mpgs? Thanks for the help new to all this!!

Step one: Don't buy a truck with 35''s on it thats lifted to tow lol.

Trade for a max tow with 3.73 gears that way you can run a larger tire and have less of an effect on your hauling abilities.

im thinking about buying a small travel trailer around that weight dry in about a year or two. I have the 14 slt 5.3 w/ 3.42's and I plan on running 285 65 18" tires (33's basically) if your truck wasn't lifted and had smaller tires would you say that it would handle your trailer a lot better? I really want one but I know I cant get a huge one due to not having enough truck. don't get me wrong these trucks have plenty of power and they say they can tow 9600# but I know that is kinda b/s and I don't want my truck to break all the time. I would like to keep the weight around 6000# when fully loaded.

Well really it tows very well in my opinion for a lifted truck just not great mileage but that's because mostly my lift and tires just curious on gearing changes that might help with that I say go for it you will be happy with it. I don't tow mine a lot so I'll just bite the bullet a few times a year and pay for the gas cheaper than trading it in on something and being upside down. For the most part you can't really tell it's back there just make sure you invest in a good weight distribution hitch bars and sway control it makes a world of difference!

Didn't expect to be towing but ended up getting a steal of a deal on this travel trailer lol

Diff rearend gears would make a world of difference. 35" tires are heavy. The right gear would bring back power and also help with mpg some. It sucks putting all that money into gears when u have a brand new truck. But you gotta pay to play. My 2008 gmc had 4.56 gears with 37" tires. It was only the 4sp trans tho. With your set up I would guess a 4.11 would be close to what you'd want.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Didn't expect to be towing but ended up getting a steal of a deal on this travel trailer lol

Diff rearend gears would make a world of difference. 35" tires are heavy. The right gear would bring back power and also help with mpg some. It sucks putting all that money into gears when u have a brand new truck. But you gotta pay to play. My 2008 gmc had 4.56 gears with 37" tires. It was only the 4sp trans tho. With your set up I would guess a 4.11 would be close to what you'd want.

I just remembered how to do this, take your tire size now and divide it by the stock tire size then multiply that number by your rearend gears you have now. Then always go to the closest gear higher to make up for the extra weight of aftermarket rims and tires. So in my case it was like this 37/31 =1.19

1.19 X 3.73 = 4.45. So I ended up going with a 4.56.

Archived