Intellilink MyLink Open Source Software, Apps, etc

When I bought my truck last week, I brought up to the sales guy about the system. I asked him what was their plans on this. He said they are working on trying to get an app store out there that is done through OnStar but you can use the 4g from your phone by bluetooth as well to get signal to download apps. Not sure if he was telling the truth but that what he said he was told.

However the only way to get this update if it is in fact true is by driving the truck to the dealer and having them do a software update. In my opinion that is such a stupid way to get updates. They already allow you to download a back up to a usb drive from the usb slots, why not allow you to get the software update from a website, put it on a usb drive and have it update that way!?!?

Edited by stever1986

• 5 months later...

I have noticed the Intellilink has a major delay when changing songs on my iPhone 6. I'm not entirely sure whether the phone or the truck is to blame, but it's terrible. Has anyone heard of ANY update for this system?

Edited by rockwallblue
  • Like 1

As with any capitalist company, you can bet the only changes they will allow/release will benefit their bank accounts.

Don't count on anything truly game changing from gm, its simply not cost effective for them.

If the community can break the software then we could potentially use android as the operating system.

• Like 1

I have noticed the Intellilink has a major delay when changing songs on my iPhone 6. I'm not entirely sure whether the phone or the truck is to blame, but it's terrible. Has anyone heard of ANY update for this system?

My 6+ doesn't have this issue. It sounds radio related.

• 1 month later...

my 2015 Sierra DenaliHD has IntelliLink.... and when i got a rental (Suburban 2015) i saw MyLink.... MyLink is a lot more responsive than IntelliLink... I mean A LOT!! i will ask dealer today when i go get my truck if there is an update for the software

my 2015 Sierra DenaliHD has IntelliLink.... and when i got a rental (Suburban 2015) i saw MyLink.... MyLink is a lot more responsive than IntelliLink... I mean A LOT!! i will ask dealer today when i go get my truck if there is an update for the software

Responsive how?

To the touch screen, the switching of apps, the delay between the touch of the "next song" and actually playing, the map load, zoom in-out, overall a lot more responsive.... like adding more RAM to a PC

Yukon/Tahoe have hardware that is different from the trucks. The software is almost the same. But they have to handle more such as dual bluray screen outputs and all the video inputs etc so I am guessing they do have more flash memory.

MyLink is sort of a disappointment to me.

Asked my dealer about software upgrades and they gave me some line about having to bring it in and a senior tech has to work on it.

Huh? They can't build an option into the menu to update the menu? Ford, and every pc and cell phone maker on the planet, managed to.

GM has some plans and is working with Apple and Google but it's almost a secret. Very little info and no assurance that what they do will work with 14 & 15's. After 14 months it's been a big disappointment to me. Nav is a joke, voice commands for phone function poor, slow response, etc. This system looked good in the showroom but falls way short in everyday use.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

To defend GM, here is what I have observed so far:

-had a chance to drive a 2015 F-150 platinum. Their interface is nothing to write home about.

- On the RAM there is one additional music streaming app - Slacker radio

- With both of these systems you have to jump up quite a few trim levels to get their 8" touch screen.

- I think, on the GM side anything over the work truck trim is equipped with the 8" display

- both Ford and RAM charge monthly fee to start your truck of off your smartphone. I use this feature all year long and it's free on my 2014 Silverado! Ford requires also an additional ($350) module and $5/month. RAM is something like $14.99 last time I checked

Yes, the iPhone crowd needs to have the USB Connection in order to get voice commands going; but I think this is an IOS limitation. Pandora also has to be "allowed" to play in case your iPhone is locked ( unless there is trick, I'm not aware of). Again this is something Apple should address as GM can hack into their software.

Edited by euromade