Radio Reception Issues

Got my truck back from my dealer yesterday. First of all I would like to say that the service department at Bradshaw in Greer, SC has been great to work with. I could not have asked for a better experience on my rear window recall. As for the FM radio concern, there is a service bulletin on it. #PIC5854A. It says that "Customers may comment that the AM or FM audio volume changes, mutes, echoes, cuts in and out, repeats broadcast content, or skips intermittently." Under recommendations/Instructions "Advise this is normal operation when listening to a weak AM or FM HD station" Then it explains that the radio switches between HD an analog signals. The bulletin states how to turn off HD radio. Interesting the bulletin states that this does not apply to XM, Bluetooth or Pandora. My trucks FM reception without HD is not as good as other vehicles I own or have owned including a 2011 Silverado which I traded. I don't know what else I can do except listen to XM or CD's.

To GM: Great truck: FM reception terrible, please come up with a fix.

I agree, this is not normal. This is weak reception point blank. My 2010 Sierra could hold my local stations all the way to my grandmothers house (85 miles away). The new truck couldn't even hold it 45 miles before I had to switch over to XM or CD/USB

Interesting note, truck in to have tail gate painted(blem for factory) given a 2014 Traverse to drive, the FM radio reception is outstanding there is definitely a problem with the sierra radio as I have noted the difference between the 2 2014 GM vehicles.

My dealer has contacted GM twice about this issue. GM is aware of the FM reception issue and is trying to resolve problem. This is according to my dealer. Hopefully GM will release a TSB if they come up with a fix.

Does anyone know if the Silverado/sierra uses the same FM tuner and if it is used in other GM vehicles?

Maybe but even if its the same tuner, its probably built into the head unit and would require extensive modification to change.

Same here on both of my 14 trucks. I have the Nav and Bose radio system. I wonder if some of the people with the problems have the other type radio.

We should start stating which options we have with the particular problem. I have the non-Bose and non nav radio and the reception in fm or hd fm needs major improvement. Sound off if you a different set up with a fm reception problem.

Non Bose with nav. Talked with dealer again today, Traverse was non Bose stock radio without nav. I hate to say it but it sounds so much better than my Sierra. FM reception was excellent on the Traverse.

I have the non-Bose and non nav radio with horrible FM reception. I have been on my Dealer since the first week after I bought truck about the FM reception issue.

I sent my dealer this link I received from another member; I said GM should
pay for this item and a new head unit with better FM reception.

http://www.pac-audio...8&CategoryID=26

GM's comment to my dealer was "if I make any modifications to the audio
system, my warranty would be violated".

Edited by steig

Talked with two GM representatives about poor FM reception, They are going to research the problem, talk to my dealer and get back to me on Thursday. If you are having reception concerns I would recommend you call1-800-462-8782 which is the customer assistance center(you will need to give them the last 8 numbers of your VIN). I believe that I finally made some progress on this concern.