2014+ Intakes (CAI) & Air Filters

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Can't decide between the K&N Blackhawk CAI and the Cold Air Inductions system. Anyone have a recommendation? K&N is about $100 cheaper. K&N is open box, as opposed to the cold air inductions being closed, any pro's/con's to open vs closed? Also K&N Blackhawk is a dry filter, not having to deal with oiling is appealing to me, but maybe not that big of deal...Yes I've read through all 54 pages and understand CAI's may be voodo but I'm pairing with a new exhaust system and figured why not. 

2 hours ago, jdaddy33 said:

Can't decide between the K&N Blackhawk CAI and the Cold Air Inductions system. Anyone have a recommendation? K&N is about $100 cheaper. K&N is open box, as opposed to the cold air inductions being closed, any pro's/con's to open vs closed? Also K&N Blackhawk is a dry filter, not having to deal with oiling is appealing to me, but maybe not that big of deal...Yes I've read through all 54 pages and understand CAI's may be voodo but I'm pairing with a new exhaust system and figured why not. 

Your truck is white. I have a white mp intake for sale in thr fs section for less then those :)

Dont bother searching in the internet for them. Its just a small guy in los angeles area tbay makes custom intakes for people that want them

• 2 weeks later...

So i have skimmed through this post i have a 2018 5.3 is seems like there isn't much gains from a CAI on this platform worth the 300 plus am i correct saying that? Also it seems like the acdelco filters are the best as far as filtering for these trucks. If anything i think i may get the airaid mit but im not even sure its worth the money. any direct input would be great thanks

Looks like a cool kit but the 100 dollar replacement filter doesn't appeal.  In the market for a kit for my 2015 myself.  Thinking about K&N 63 series, its washable and you can buy the elements anywhere k&n parts are sold, plus the kits $100 cheaper. 

IMO, for late model vehicles definitely not worth the money as far as gains. But they are very aesthetically pleasing and also sound cool. Two things that I would do differently today as far as mods go, if given a hot tub time machine:

1. Stick with stock air intake 

2. Stick with stock catback, just swap the muffler out and maybe put on some pretty tips.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2019 at 9:25 AM, Rally_18 said:

So i have skimmed through this post i have a 2018 5.3 is seems like there isn't much gains from a CAI on this platform worth the 300 plus am i correct saying that? Also it seems like the acdelco filters are the best as far as filtering for these trucks. If anything i think i may get the airaid mit but im not even sure its worth the money. any direct input would be great thanks

I have looked in to CAI as well and decided to keep factory airbox and factory "batwing" intake. Blackbear did intake testing and their were nearly no gains by swapping factory intake "batwing" with a intake tube and keeping stock airbox. There were some gains with full intake systems but Trucks ran lean or needed tuning. The gains seem to have come from a freer flowing air filter that potentially lets more contaminates in.

I lightly modded my stock airbox. If you remove airbox you will see another small hole in fender that is blocked by airbox black plastic. I dremel out the small oval shape to match fender cutout. If you look at GM performance intake it is completely wide open to fender even though fender is not completely cutout.

There is more info in this thread. I was not brave enough to cut out my fender metal. I cutout the bottom oval shape in pic 2 and reassembled everything. Have not noticed anything and didn't expect to. 

Its a free mod that allows a bit more air into stock intake.

Edited by 2009GMC