2014+ Intakes (CAI) & Air Filters

I used to work at K&N so I can give a pretty good review on the stuff.  The K&N filters  flow the most air out of all the other filters and filter companies K&N owns. That being AEM, Sepctre and Airaid.

On my own presonal 15 5.3 I went with the Airaid kit with the full box design  https://www.airaid.com/search/product.aspx?prod=202-285  I changed out the filter thats in the Airaid kit for a  K&N blackhawk filter (which is an AEM dry flow filter with K&N logo) I wanted to keep with a black filter but the Airaid filter included in the kit is so damn big and difficult to take out to clean. So I got a large cone filter to fit in its place. Still flows alot of air.

I chose the Airaid full kit despite most people judging against it and going with just the MXP tubing because of intake air temp or whatever.

The air aid box has a scoop at the bottom to grab air from the bottom of the truck  (lay on your back and you can physically see the scoop)

I recently sold my CTS 2 Evo tuner which gave me intake air temp read outs and i shit you not  at cruising speeds 75-80  my intake air temps were only 5 degrees hotter than ambient outside temp.

I highly doubt the stock intake box could of done that, but i never tested it so i can't say for sure.

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:23 PM, DirtyAndy said:

Why is this? Seems like nothing fits an eAssist model. Even Weathertech floormats! I’ve pestered Banks about it a couple times.

Look here

I've also approached Banks. They couldn't care less. Most likely because there isn't a big enough demand for CAIs on eAssist models so the returns/profit won't be beneficial to them. Pretty dumb of them since I already have the measurements and they would just need to do the piping. Heck put it on a 3D printer and then test it out. Everything else can stay the same. It's just the elbow to the TB that needs to be changed. Just tells me anyone who says it can't be done isn't really interested in performance but rather cash flow. This goes for tuning as well. Vendors need to stop saying it CAN'T BE DONE. They need to say "I'm not interested in doing in it because it won't make me any money".

Can't tune an eAssist they say...WTH is on the ECM? the factory TUNE, tuned by someone. They used to say can't tune the 8 speed....what happened now? someone who really cares about hacking things because they like to, want to, or were paid to...hacked it and now it can be tuned, just more money and more of an arduous process.

• Like 1

Look here
I've also approached Banks. They couldn't care less. Most likely because there isn't a big enough demand for CAIs on eAssist models so the returns/profit won't be beneficial to them. Pretty dumb of them since I already have the measurements and they would just need to do the piping. Heck put it on a 3D printer and then test it out. Everything else can stay the same. It's just the elbow to the TB that needs to be changed. Just tells me anyone who says it can't be done isn't really interested in performance but rather cash flow. This goes for tuning as well. Vendors need to stop saying it CAN'T BE DONE. They need to say "I'm not interested in doing in it because it won't make me any money".

Can't tune an eAssist they say...WTH is on the ECM? the factory TUNE, tuned by someone. They used to say can't tune the 8 speed....what happened now? someone who really cares about hacking things because they like to, want to, or were paid to...hacked it and now it can be tuned, just more money and more of an arduous process.

Your link didn’t work for me for whatever reason. Says it’s gone or I don’t have permission.

I really like the look of the Banks CAI too. Someone on here said the one for a 2017 will fit. But, I’d rather know from the manufacturer.

Interesting...I can see the link right here on the screen and also pix of the link.

It may be worth your while to search up "K&N eAssist" and you will come across it.

As for banks and other systems, anything from 2014-2018 will not fit for the eAssist. It's obstructed by the coolant reserve. Either get plumbing to move the reserve elsewhere or plumbing to take from CAI box to the throttle body.

IMG_9888.jpg

GMP Intake.jpg

• Like 1

AFE makes great products. Good Value all around and perform as advertised. I've had a couple of set ups from a highly modded stock box with M.I.T tube and AEM dryflow filter, Which all worked well, but the AFE momentum made a noticeable increase in overall breathing over the previous set up. The dry filter works great, no oil and can hold a large amount of dirt and still breathe because the surface area is so great.  You can spend more if you like on another set up, but will not gain anything except esthetics if you don't like the look of the AFE. You can also spend less and get less performance.

The AFE gave a noticeable increase in torque and top end pull. Needed to reset the computer to see any gains, then it shined.  Otherwise it (the ecm) just starts seeing more air and matches fuel then your mileage tanks. Takes forever to learn on it's own (you really need a tune to take full advantage).

Sorry for all that - your just getting the filter? yes its good. Open up your factory box and you'll see more out of it (depends on the conditions you drive in/how much you want to open it up - or at lease remove the black connector piece to the fender). 

Edited by kennerz
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity, has anyone actually used a data logger to see the difference between the stock vs aftermarket on their vehicles? I mean like logged it for yourself to see and not just doing it for e-tune purposes? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:09 PM, askibum02 said:

Without reading all 55 pages.  I don't want to spend the $$ on a full intake kit as I have another car project in the garage.  Is an aFe dry filter worth the money? https://afepower.com/afe-power-31-10292-magnum-flow-pro-dry-s-air-filter

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

Does this really make a difference? I always regret CAI after i get them cause i wasted a decent chunk of change on basically some some but they do make the engine sound good. I've been debating on picking one up for my 18.

58 minutes ago, Rally_18 said:

Does this really make a difference? I always regret CAI after i get them cause i wasted a decent chunk of change on basically some some but they do make the engine sound good. I've been debating on picking one up for my 18.

To me this is the same result as spending Hundreds on another plastic box with a tube connecting to the intake just like the factory setup.

Do this, throw in a K&N or an AEM dry filter and save yourself some change.  If you want a true cold air intake install a functional Ram air hood.

• Like 1

The only time I didn't get an aftermarket intake for my modded vehicles was for my Subaru because it was proven that the stock box and filter flowed more air than what my motor needed to produce max power on my supporting mods. I did observe the same for my Sierra, but the sound of the intake is what eventually got me into purchasing it...I'm such a sucker. If I ever get a Telsa I'm sure I would be buying an exhaust and intake for it as well.