2014+ Truck Bed / Tonneau Covers

On 11/11/2018 at 6:09 PM, Nitrousbird said:

I just installed my UltraCover Ultra Flex.  Why did I go with this one?

- Vinyl covers look cheap...because they are.  Same goes for the vinyl folding covers. 
- Full one-piece covers are a pain in the butt.  Pass
- Roll ups are nice, but the canister takes up a lot of space AND have issues with ice

That left a hard folding cover.  Any cover that requires or recommends you lift the cover to close the tailgate is a joke - period.  There is no reason for that BS.  That takes a number of covers out of the market, including Gator's entire lineup.  I liked the Lomax/WeatherTech cover, but it won't fold up to the cab, so that was a no-go.  Then it ended up leaving me with the BAK or UltraCover higher end covers.  BAK has a worse reputation for quality.  I ended up finding an Amazon Warehouse deal, so at $735 shipped, it was a no brainer:  

20181102-175203-HDR.jpg

20181102-175209-HDR.jpg

20181101-182900.jpg

20181102-175215-HDR.jpg

20181102-175224-HDR.jpg

Damn that looks good! I've been hunting for a good tonneau cover and I think thats it

On 10/19/2018 at 9:15 PM, rkj__ said:

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I love the Truxedo LoPro on my old truck, but am struggling to accept the cost to buy another one for the new truck.  The Tyger seemed like it was maybe too drastic of a swing from high quality to low price. 

I stopped by my local truck accessory shop (Niagara Truck 'n' Stuff), to look at what they had.  I was pointed towards the TrailFX Tonneau Cover TFX1205.  It's basically a Truxedo LoPro copy, with a 5 year (vs lifetime) warranty, and a slightly cheaper looking material.  It's priced between the Tyger and the Truxedo, and looks like it just might be a happy middle ground for me. 

I don't see many reviews on the internet, but this video gives a nice overview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBngbiy96sw

After much debate, and patience, I finally made a purchase!  After casually browsing listings since I got my truck in September, I finally found a 2 week old Truxedo LoPro for an excellent price on the local Kijiji classifieds.  My local retailer wanted over $750 CAD (installed) after tax.  I paid $300 CAD.  I'm very happy I could get the cover I wanted, for a price I was willing to pay.

I hope to get it installed soon, maybe this weekend, along with my winter tires.  It's snowing right now, so it will be good to be able to keep my gear covered.

Anyone running the undercover elite lx or any of the fiberglass ARE or LEER covers? How do you like them? I love the look of the paint to match tonneau covers. Also, does anyone know if you can mount racks to these covers? I've seen them mounted before on fiberglass covers but not sure about the undercover. Can you get the racks mounted from the factory on the fiberglass covers or is that something you have to add on your own? If anyone can answer my questions or post pics of their covers that would be greatly appreciated! 

Managed to break the back panel on my OEM folding cover.  Can't tell it from the outside, but when you flip it up you can see the cracks and they are getting worse, so it'll only be a matter of time until it starts to sag.  Has anyone ever replaced just a panel?

All those tri-folds are garbage! They’re all styrofoam sandwiched between two paper thin sheets of aluminum. RollNLock is what I’ve got and is AWESOME! It rolls on stainless steel bearings and locks with metal locking mechanisms inside the bed walls as well as a locking tailgate (removable option). Very clean, very user friendly and most of all it’s extremely secure!

I run an A series on my 2018. It is my 4th R n R. With the truck's lockable tailgate, there is no longer a need to use the roll up to secure it. It isn't waterproof. They all have leaked over time and always at the rear corners where the roll up meets the tailgate but never so much as to cause any real water damage to the bed contents. Not too hard to install, their biggest downside IMHO is cost. They ain't cheap but both form and function is excellent.

Edited by Capt Bob
  • Like 1

I run an A series on my 2018. It is my 4th R n R. With the truck's lockable tailgate, there is no longer a need to use the roll up to secure it. It isn't waterproof. They all have leaked over time and always at the rear corners where the roll up meets the tailgate but never so much as to cause any real water damage to the bed contents. Not too hard to install, their biggest downside IMHO is cost. They ain't cheap but both form and function is excellent.

I do believe some water does get inside but very minimal and nothing to get me to even consider sealing with those pads. I love it on long trips especially when you don’t want to take everything out just for a one night between destination. A buddy of mine has the Retrax and he prefers mine too.