2014+ Truck Bed / Tonneau Covers

Just now, TruckDaddy said:

$75 rebate going on for this cover!

Yes sir, I already go a great deal on the cover and the $75 rebate was icing on the cake!  I also ordered a BedRug XLT who is also offering a $25 rebate on that product.

25 minutes ago, BbyDgital said:

Yes sir, I already go a great deal on the cover and the $75 rebate was icing on the cake!  I also ordered a BedRug XLT who is also offering a $25 rebate on that product.

Interesting cover the Sentry CT is.  I've never seen a cover constructed like that before.  It's a mighty big roll for a 6.5ft bed, but I can see the appeal. 

Edited by rkj__

Ok, I'm overwhelmed with all the options and need help.  Wife wants to buy me a cover for Christmas and I have it down to these 3:

Truxedo Sentry CT - Will the canvas last?  I have a Honda s2000  garage queen, and I know the convertible top would be very short lived if I had to leave it out in the sun all the time.  My truck is always out.  

Weathertech - it says 3 year warranty but they would like to give you a lifetime warranty - not sure quite what that means...I know it is just a Bak MX4 and the quality seems questionable with these, but Weathertech would probably be helpful if you have problems.

Undercover Ultraflex - the cheap and flimsy comment above has me concerned and it seems like a lot of people are not happy with the regular flex cover so...

Budget is $1,000.  Honestly I don't use the bed that much so the cover will mostly be on and not opened very often.  I'll probably leave golf clubs in there fairly often so it needs to be secure.  Truck is new and would like the cover to last as long as the truck.

Appreciate any advice and if there is something else I should be looking at please let me know.  Thanks

Well, the Sentry CT won't really provide any security for your golf clubs if someone decide to slice it open.  However, if someone want in, they will get in no matter if you have a hard or soft cover.  Question is, how hard to you want to make it for the thief?

My opinion on hard covers that are around your budget amount:

Best warranty - Truck Gear (by LINE-X) Stealth and LXP covers, lifetime warranty.

Most durable - Probably Truck Gear LXP and Undercover Armor Flex, both are new covers, so it's rather unproven.  But, both have a LINE-X costing which is probably more durable than a powder coat.

Best looking - Undercover Ultra Flex or Access LOMAX, really nice powder coats.

Edited by TruckDaddy

On 11/30/2013 at 6:23 AM, Green 1364 said:

Is access the brand name? Also can you please help me with something? I just read that there are no AC or Heat ducts to the back of the Crew Cab Denali I ordered. You have a 2014 Denali Correct? I ordered black and have a huge concern because I drive to Florida 2 or 3 times a year, worried about whoever is in the back will bake.

Some also told me the only heat or cooling comes when the heated or cooling seats are on, is this true? I can't test it at my dealer because it's only in the 20's here in Pa.

Thank you very much,

Gary

Amen to crappy pa weather, lol pa here too, i have 17 black z71 1500 LT crew but we dont have to worry about baking people in back here do we brrr

20181204_165858.jpg

I misspoke above - the Weathertech cover is a Lomax, not a Bak.  In looking at the Lomax website it was on sale for $794 so we ordered one and it should be here tomorrow.  I'm guessing I won't be allowed to install it til Christmas - it's gonna sit under the tree and I'll have to look at the box everyday.  I really like the look of the Sentry CT but felt like the aluminum panels of the Lomax would offer a longer life span and better security.  The Ultraflex seems to sit flush whereas the Lomax is 1/2" above the bedrails.  I couldn't find any negative comments anywhere on the Lomax and I did find plenty of complaints about most other models and brands.  I guess that ended up being the deciding factor for the Lomax over the Ultraflex... or it was that my wife was giving me the look of complete disgust that I would spend this much time researching bedcovers and she said "we are getting the cheaper one."  I said ok, you still have $206 worth of gifts to buy for me.  I thought that was funny but I was wrong.  

The LOMAX is a fairly new cover and you probably won't be able to find a ton of feedback yet.  The Ultra Flex has been around longer and more feedback is probably available.  I don't think Weathertech makes any of their covers, they are all rebranded which is a common thing to do these days.

18 hours ago, 2kwik4u said:

How do you like the the fabric on the CT? I like the look myself, curious how it holds up to dirt/debris and cleaning. Any thoughts?

So far, so good.  I've only had it on for a couple of weeks so it really hasn't got dirty yet.  It just sat outside during 2 days straight of constant rain with only minimal leaking as expected.  I sprayed it with 303 fabric guard after I installed it to help it stay cleaner and repel water better, but I don't think the 303 was a match for the constant downpour we experienced this weekend as the fabric was pretty soaked through.  But in no way did it leak at all in the center of the cover, just up by the cab as I expected it would between the cover and supplied weather stripping.

It was really the only cover on the market that met my needs.  I did't want to block rear visibility, so a trifold was out (Ultra Flex was at the top of my list).  I also didn't want to take up bed space, so a retractable was out.  My commercial mower would also probably damage a retractable as well without putting some sort of barricade in front of the canister which would take up even more room and add cost.

The Sentry CT and the Bak Revolver X4 were the only two that met my needs and I preferred the black slats on the Sentry vs the raw aluminum on the Revolver to better match the blacked out theme of my truck when rolled up.

The price of the Sentry CT was slightly better, $735 shipped vs $775 shipped.  The Sentry also had a $75 mail in rebate as well to bring it down to $660 net.  In fairness, I think Bak was offering a $100 rebate on the X4 which would have netted to $675.

I am very happy with it so far, especially at the price that I paid.  I came from a soft roll up that I had on my F150 before I got the Chevy, so I already preferred the roll up style covers.  I had the Tyger soft roll up from Amazon which is/was an incredible value at $189.  That cover is amazing for the price and I wouldn't hesitate recommending it to anyone on a limited budget.  I ended up selling it to my neighbor for $100 before I traded the F150 in on the Chevy.  I just wanted to get a higher quality hard cover on the Silverado since it is a much nicer truck than the particular F150 I had.

23 minutes ago, BbyDgital said:

So far, so good.  I've only had it on for a couple of weeks so it really hasn't got dirty yet.  It just sat outside during 2 days straight of constant rain with only minimal leaking as expected.  I sprayed it with 303 fabric guard after I installed it to help it stay cleaner and repel water better, but I don't think the 303 was a match for the constant downpour we experienced this weekend as the fabric was pretty soaked through.  But in no way did it leak at all in the center of the cover, just up by the cab as I expected it would between the cover and supplied weather stripping.

It was really the only cover on the market that met my needs.  I did't want to block rear visibility, so a trifold was out (Ultra Flex was at the top of my list).  I also didn't want to take up bed space, so a retractable was out.  My commercial mower would also probably damage a retractable as well without putting some sort of barricade in front of the canister which would take up even more room and add cost.

The Sentry CT and the Bak Revolver X4 were the only two that met my needs and I preferred the black slats on the Sentry vs the raw aluminum on the Revolver to better match the blacked out theme of my truck when rolled up.

The price of the Sentry CT was slightly better, $735 shipped vs $775 shipped.  The Sentry also had a $75 mail in rebate as well to bring it down to $660 net.  In fairness, I think Bak was offering a $100 rebate on the X4 which would have netted to $675.

I am very happy with it so far, especially at the price that I paid.  I came from a soft roll up that I had on my F150 before I got the Chevy, so I already preferred the roll up style covers.  I had the Tyger soft roll up from Amazon which is/was an incredible value at $189.  That cover is amazing for the price and I wouldn't hesitate recommending it to anyone on a limited budget.  I ended up selling it to my neighbor for $100 before I traded the F150 in on the Chevy.  I just wanted to get a higher quality hard cover on the Silverado since it is a much nicer truck than the particular F150 I had.

WOW, great review. Thanks so much for the info. 

I really prefer the look of a soft cover over a hard cover, but it's difficult to find. I think the Sentry CT might be top of my list now.

Thanks again!

On 12/3/2018 at 3:24 PM, t777jb said:

Undercover Ultraflex - the cheap and flimsy comment above has me concerned and it seems like a lot of people are not happy with the regular flex cover so...

My UltraFlex isn't cheap or flimsy.  It isn't as robust as the factory covers on my previous Avalanche and Escalade EXT...and there is no cover sold from anyone that is as durable/rigid (and trust me, I looked).  

There isn't anything cheap feeling about it.  That previous poster is full of crap and I'm more than happy to call out a company on their junk and understand good vs crap quality products.  I will say it doesn't seal well at the back corners of the tailgate and the front foam seal is a joke (though easily/cheaply replaced).  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

My UltraFlex isn't cheap or flimsy.  It isn't as robust as the factory covers on my previous Avalanche and Escalade EXT...and there is no cover sold from anyone that is as durable/rigid (and trust me, I looked).  

There isn't anything cheap feeling about it.  That previous poster is full of crap and I'm more than happy to call out a company on their junk and understand good vs crap quality products.  I will say it doesn't seal well at the back corners of the tailgate and the front foam seal is a joke (though easily/cheaply replaced).  

Agree, the Avalanche panels were about as good as it gets IMO.

24 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Excuse me? Are you saying I am full of crap because I pointed out that the UltraFlex I installed on my truck now feels cheap and flimsy in comparison to the G4 Elite I had for the last 4 years? I just tell it like it is. This cover doesn't feel like it is in the same category as the G4, but it doesn't mean it's not a good cover! I went with this one because of the fact that it can fold up against the window thus giving me more room when I need it (and I already used it in that position .... and yes the bracket that holds the rod in place already broke) but also because the one thing that I really didn't like about the G4 were the pins that stick out inside the bed, my kids love playing in the bed and I was always worried about those pins sticking out, wouldn't want someone to get hurt or poke their eye out. Also when one of the straps broke I contacted the company to get a warranty replacement I was told to go online and fill out a warranty request form which I did, I waited a few weeks (forgot about it to be honest) and when I remembered I called and was told sorry you are now out of warranty. A few weeks later the other strap on the other side broke anyway. That was just from opening more than just the rear panel.

So far the Ultraflex has been good, I've only opened it a handful of times but haven't had any issues with alignment or getting it to shut (with tailgate closed or open) and the only water I got after a pretty heavy rain was in the drain tubes (which I just looped for now, been too lazy to cut the bedrug to route them out). However I would not stand on the cover while folded like I could do with the G4, I don't think it would hold the weight. Also the seal on the sides  tend to keep their "folded" shape so it's not smooth/flush but I suppose that is the way it is for a flush mounted cover. Now I have to say for the install the Ultraflex is a 1 out of 10 and the G4 is more of an 8 or 9, getting those latches to work just right was a pain, and if you have a bedrug forget about the personal caddy, I tried and tried and couldn't get the front cover to close properly with the caddy.

If I had to buy another cover today I would get the Ultraflex over the G4 Elite, unless I needed something really sturdy and the added safety of lockable latches.