Green 1364

2014+ Truck Bed / Tonneau Covers

24 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

My UltraFlex isn't cheap or flimsy.  It isn't as robust as the factory covers on my previous Avalanche and Escalade EXT...and there is no cover sold from anyone that is as durable/rigid (and trust me, I looked).  

There isn't anything cheap feeling about it.  That previous poster is full of crap and I'm more than happy to call out a company on their junk and understand good vs crap quality products.  I will say it doesn't seal well at the back corners of the tailgate and the front foam seal is a joke (though easily/cheaply replaced).  

Excuse me? Are you saying I am full of crap because I pointed out that the UltraFlex I installed on my truck now feels cheap and flimsy in comparison to the G4 Elite I had for the last 4 years? I just tell it like it is. This cover doesn't feel like it is in the same category as the G4, but it doesn't mean it's not a good cover! I went with this one because of the fact that it can fold up against the window thus giving me more room when I need it (and I already used it in that position .... and yes the bracket that holds the rod in place already broke) but also because the one thing that I really didn't like about the G4 were the pins that stick out inside the bed, my kids love playing in the bed and I was always worried about those pins sticking out, wouldn't want someone to get hurt or poke their eye out. Also when one of the straps broke I contacted the company to get a warranty replacement I was told to go online and fill out a warranty request form which I did, I waited a few weeks (forgot about it to be honest) and when I remembered I called and was told sorry you are now out of warranty. A few weeks later the other strap on the other side broke anyway. That was just from opening more than just the rear panel.

So far the Ultraflex has been good, I've only opened it a handful of times but haven't had any issues with alignment or getting it to shut (with tailgate closed or open) and the only water I got after a pretty heavy rain was in the drain tubes (which I just looped for now, been too lazy to cut the bedrug to route them out). However I would not stand on the cover while folded like I could do with the G4, I don't think it would hold the weight. Also the seal on the sides  tend to keep their "folded" shape so it's not smooth/flush but I suppose that is the way it is for a flush mounted cover. Now I have to say for the install the Ultraflex is a 1 out of 10 and the G4 is more of an 8 or 9, getting those latches to work just right was a pain, and if you have a bedrug forget about the personal caddy, I tried and tried and couldn't get the front cover to close properly with the caddy.

If I had to buy another cover today I would get the Ultraflex over the G4 Elite, unless I needed something really sturdy and the added safety of lockable latches.

Installed a truxedo lo pro. Reason I picked this over others is the quick detach if necessary. Don’t know how much I will use it, but would hate to be in the situation and not have wrenches with me. The part number says without cargo management, but mine does have that and it still works. 38BB8E57-CF9A-471D-ACCE-28FAF920C6FB.thumb.jpeg.5bdc8a25d989c12a6958ab87520dcf87.jpeg

3 hours ago, NGreen1770 said:

Installed a truxedo lo pro. Reason I picked this over others is the quick detach if necessary. Don’t know how much I will use it, but would hate to be in the situation and not have wrenches with me. The part number says without cargo management, but mine does have that and it still works. 38BB8E57-CF9A-471D-ACCE-28FAF920C6FB.thumb.jpeg.5bdc8a25d989c12a6958ab87520dcf87.jpeg

I agree, the quick detach is another feature that sold me over the Revolver X4.  Doubt I will use it much, but nice to have that ability. 

The soft cover is very cheap and easy to install.

If it is to prevent the cargo from being affected by the weather, you can use a soft cover.

Ive read back about 20 pages and haven't seen anything about the Extang sold-fold 2.0.  I did see someone asking about a trifold that locks though.  I keep mine locked and just used the tailgate. Never had any issues with it. I've stood on it and had no worries, I couldn't find an actual weight rating of the panels but their commercial said 3 of his big buddies.

I've had the SolidFold 2.0 on my truck for over 3 years now.  It's still working well.

I updated the latches to the newer ratcheting type but found those weren't easy to use with my extender cage, so I went back to the original ones.

They work fine for me and don't lift much at all as others have reported.

Here's a pic where it is folded it and I'm using it as a shelf for the front wheel of my landsailer.

IMG_3480.JPG

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What's the updated latches look like?  I think mine are kinda spring loaded hooks.

Edited by Superman_006

The updated ones have a threaded type shaft that locks the hook in position so it can't be pulled up.

The original ones had a smooth shaft that allowed one to pull up on the lid once locked in place.

In this pic the old style is on the top and  the new style on the bottom. 

You can spot the threaded shaft in the gap on the new style one.

The new style also uses an oval track slider so when it is in vertical position it cannot be shifted or slid into place.

That was the issue for my bed extender as I have to be able to open the clamp and slide it under the bed lip, which I can do with the old style but not this new style.

They are just sitting here.  If anyone wants them cheap send me a note.

IMG_4637.JPG

On 1/9/2019 at 8:15 AM, crewl1 said:

I've had the SolidFold 2.0 on my truck for over 3 years now.  It's still working well.

I updated the latches to the newer ratcheting type but found those weren't easy to use with my extender cage, so I went back to the original ones.

They work fine for me and don't lift much at all as others have reported.

Here's a pic where it is folded it and I'm using it as a shelf for the front wheel of my landsailer.

IMG_3480.JPG

Where do you usually go "sailing" at?  I've gone with a few groups from Edwards AFB out to El Mirage Dry Lake.  They've recently (last few years) started using Roger's Dry Lake (on Edwards AFB) to do their land-sailing, I haven't been out there since they switched, especially since my accident, back in July.

We go to El Mirage mostly and sometimes Ivanpah. I’ve recently started the Landsailing sport the last couple of years .  We started with  kite buggies in the late 90s and still take them out with us on the Landsailing trips. 

• Like 1

I installed a BakFlip G2 on my 2018 Sierra.

Easy to install and nice that it can be folded up easily for large loads.

Edited by Sierra_Hondo

I'm looking into a tonneau cover for my 18 Sierra, I want to have full bed access, not cover the side rails and be able to close the tailgate with the cover down.

I'm looking at the:

Under Cover Ultra Flex https://undercoverinfo.com/undercover-ultra-flex/2018/gmc/sierra-1500

BakFlip MX4 https://bakindustries.com/bakflip-mx4/2018/gmc/sierra-1500

TruXedo Lo Pro https://truxedo.com/lopro/2018/gmc/sierra-1500

I like the idea of the hard cover with the Ultra Flex and MX4 but I also like the 1/2 price of the Truxedo. I'm basically just wanting to have things in the bed and not get wet.

Opinions between these three?

What hard covers allow access to the front of the bed by flipping the front panel back besides the factory cover?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, mcdavis said:

What hard covers allow access to the front of the bed by flipping the front panel back besides the factory cover?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I know the G4 Elite I had did that

• Like 1