2014+ Truck Bed / Tonneau Covers

Afternoon. I have a 2017 Silverado 1500 LT. I bought a TruXedo TruXsport a few months ago, installed it and have been pretty happy with it. I do have a concern/question:

I'm seeing a little water coming in the right rear corner where the corner plug. How can i tighten this up so no water seeps in? I've tighten all the clamps down correctly.

No issues on left side.

Thanks!

Picture 1: NormalUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c16.thumb.jpg.21b0dc0098e7d8c2bbc3ffb966857457.jpg

2. Water

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c14.thumb.jpg.0b1d778114a1d21d4f39d9d9744e008d.jpg

3. Me pushing down on the corner. Is it supposed to be this way?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c18.thumb.jpg.666def8101a59306a0ff285fdc683ce1.jpg

11 hours ago, TruckDaddy said:

There's no way you can add a remote locking feature to a Diamondback cover.  You have to push down on the cover in order to lock the cover and the way it locks is rather rudimentary.

I'm not looking for it to "close" the lid - just turn the locking mechanism. This way, when I unlock the back access is unlocked and when I leave my truck and lock it everything is automatically locked. The only time I'll need the key is when I want to unlock the front box or I'll do the same thing up front. 

perhaps leveraging something like one of these - again, I'm just brainstorming. 

power door lock system

Edited by CamperD
adding link

I suppose I didn't explain well enough.  When you manually close either the front or back lids, you have to first push down on them so that the seals seal against the rails and tailgate and the locking mechanism bar will fit beneath the rails.  So, that's why you won't be able to add any sort of automatic lock.  If you adjust the locking bars too loosely, you may get water leaks.

Edited by TruckDaddy

7 minutes ago, TruckDaddy said:

I suppose I didn't explain well enough.  When you manually close either the front or back lids, you have to first push down on them so that the seals seal against the rails and tailgate and the locking mechanism bar will fit beneath the rails.  So, that's why you won't be able to add any sort of automatic lock.  If you adjust the locking bars too loosely, you may get water leaks.

I'm not looking to adjust the locking bars nor am i looking at the actual closing mechanism - the cover has a keyed barrel lock. I'm referring to the actual "locking" not the closing and securing. I can have my front door on my house unlocked and closed and you can have the diamond back cover closed and unlocked. No difference. I'm referring to the part that prevents you from turning and opening the lids. 

On 5/15/2019 at 10:28 AM, TruckDaddy said:

If i'm understanding correctly, he wants to be able to automatically lock the cover after he's already pushed down on the lid and twisted the handle.   

if you do a search on here for the remote tailgate opening mod, that might give you enough ideas to make it work.  

27 minutes ago, bndawgs said:

If i'm understanding correctly, he wants to be able to automatically lock the cover after he's already pushed down on the lid and twisted the handle.   

if you do a search on here for the remote tailgate opening mod, that might give you enough ideas to make it work.  

Exactly! thank you! 

Undercover Ultra Flex update:  I've had the cover for just under a year and a half.  Came out to put my sons hockey gear into the bed and noticed a nice wet spot in my bedrug.  I reached out to Undercover this morning and sent in a few pics of where it's leaking from the hinge.  Within an hour they got back to me with a Ref# and my new Ultra Flex is being shipped out.  Hopefully I don't have the same issue with the new cover.  If do, I might have to go with a Leer shell.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey all.  Just installed my MX4 on my 2018 Z71 short-bed.  Went pretty easily, my only confusion is placement front to back.  How much is supposed to hang over the top of the tailgate?  Watching the youtube from Bakflip on install, and the instructions are a little clear on the gap at the tailgate.  I know it's supposed to sit overtop slightly, just seems like the tailgate gets hung up on the cover when opening it.  Is this supposed to be the case?

Thanks for the help

• 1 month later...
On 6/12/2019 at 8:38 PM, TX018Z71 said:

Hey all.  Just installed my MX4 on my 2018 Z71 short-bed.  Went pretty easily, my only confusion is placement front to back.  How much is supposed to hang over the top of the tailgate?  Watching the youtube from Bakflip on install, and the instructions are a little clear on the gap at the tailgate.  I know it's supposed to sit overtop slightly, just seems like the tailgate gets hung up on the cover when opening it.  Is this supposed to be the case?

Thanks for the help

have you watched this video

• Thanks 1

I just purchased the LXP from LineX Truck Gear (https://www.buytruckgearonline.com/lxp-hard-folding-tonneau-covers).  It is exactly the same as the Bakflip mx4, but with Line-x coating pre-applied and a lifetime warranty.  Installs just like the above video.

I went ahead and bought an extra 25' of weatherstrip and put some of it on the edge of the rails to help prevent leakage.  I also cut a small piece of stripping and placed it inside of the rail on the edges.

Adhesive promoter is not included in the package so you may want to get some for a spray in bedliner truck.

1 hour ago, Eneerge said:

I just purchased the LXP from LineX Truck Gear (https://www.buytruckgearonline.com/lxp-hard-folding-tonneau-covers).  It is exactly the same as the Bakflip mx4, but with Line-x coating pre-applied and a lifetime warranty.  Installs just like the above video.

I went ahead and bought an extra 25' of weatherstrip and put some of it on the edge of the rails to help prevent leakage.  I also cut a small piece of stripping and placed it inside of the rail on the edges.

Adhesive promoter is not included in the package so you may want to get some for a spray in bedliner truck.

How do u like it I love mine had it on a few months now still looks like new

After 15 years of having a camper shell on a truck, I purchased a new GMC Sierra and couldn't hold out any longer on having an open bed!  My wife didn't want a camper shell again because she couldn't see very well out the back when she drove it.  Which is rare I might add.  But you know the old saying!

So I searched high and low and found a 3 month old take off from someone that downsized trucks and found a complete hardcover Undercover Elite tonneau cover.  At first I wanted a folding or roll up to be able to use the whole bed.  But then I saw how easy it is to take this Undercover off and it only weighs 65 lbs or so.  Simply un-screw two mounting points by hand and off it comes along with flipping a switch on each ram and they pop right off too.  In less than 2 minutes, the top is off with no help!!!  

Loving being able to keep stuff dry and locked again.

IMG_20190714_192710005.jpg

IMG_20190710_200117822.jpg

IMG_20190710_195834034.jpg

• Like 2