Assist Steps / Running Boards / Nerf Bars

Has anyone out there installed factory or aftermarket nerf bars/running boards on your new 2014 Silvy or Sierra? Which brand/style do you prefer or like more than any other?

I just recently bought and received a set of 6" oval SS cab length boards made by Raptor. It was really the only manufacture at the time that said they fit the 2014 model. When they arrived I noticed a dent on the outside of the drivers side rail. In the process of returning/exchanging them. I also did not like the quality. They are supposed to be stainless steel but tapping on the tube they sound and feel like aluminum. Very thin-walled that could be easily dented by rocks bouncing off the freeway or those darn "rubber alligators" we have so many of here in Houston! If they could have a severe dent in them wrapped in plastic, surrounded by styrofoam inside a box, inside another box than they will be DESTROYED on the truck going down the road!

By the way, I order them from 4wheelonline.com for $449.99 with a $50 rebate and did not look through the warranty/return clauses before I bought them. I would think twice before ordering anything else from them! If I want to return them for a non-damaged set, I have to purchase a new set at the above price, wait for them to ship to me, the damaged set will be picked up at that time and returned to the company. They have to receive them back in, inspect the damage and then decide if they are going to refund my money!! If I return them, I COULD have to pay return shipping and a re-stocking fee however, since they are damaged i have to wait for my return email from the warranty dept. to find out their decision.

WOW, this got long winded!! Anyways, anyone have good luck/looks with an aftermarket brand/type? They want WAY too much money for the OEM.

personally.. I wouldn't have any. I think the trucks look cleaner without. Plus.. do you really need them? Hell.. I'm only 5'8 and used to end up stepping over them most the time to get in and out of the truck. They were just in the way. That was my old 2008. I think these 2014 trucks are even closer to the ground.

If I was to get them... it would be the automatic deployment type that drop down when you open the door... then hide away.

I have the factory running boards installed from the dealer. They seem pretty heavy duty, and don't really stand out (though if you want them to, they make a chrome option). Anyways, I drove the truck cross-country already and they look exactly the same as when they were installed.

DSC_0189_zps468f03ad.jpg

DSC_0186_zps20b78542.jpg

DSC_0145_zps9680a3f9.jpg

• Like 1

they're also useful when you park next to people... Especially the one that like to swing the door wide open without looking..

got mine off Ebay for $204 5" thick.Very well made and also come with limited lifetime warranty..

IMG_6896_zpsa86976c7.jpg

IMG_6897_zps4a672524.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350841932073?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_3645wt_1172

Edited by block8head
  • Like 2

I ordered my SLT All-terrain double cab last week. Stopped at the dealer to show my wife an example, she's since convinced me to get step bars. Now, I know you can get aftermarket bars for half what the dealer charges; but after reading of your problems with the Raptor bars, I'm thinking maybe I should go for the GM dealer installed in spite of the additional cost.

Does anybody have the 4" chrome GM bars? Thoughts? Pics?

I'm also wondering if they'll let me just buy the things and install them myself, to save a few $$ (and because I have an inherent distrust of dealer techs).

Edited by bobbyd

I ordered my SLT All-terrain double cab last week. Stopped at the dealer to show my wife an example, she's since convinced me to get step bars. Now, I know you can get aftermarket bars for half what the dealer charges; but after reading of your problems with the Raptor bars, I'm thinking maybe I should go for the GM dealer installed in spite of the additional cost.

Does anybody have the 4" chrome GM bars? Thoughts? Pics?

I'm also wondering if they'll let me just buy the things and install them myself, to save a few $$ (and because I have an inherent distrust of dealer techs).

They shouldn't charge you for the install on a new truck.

Get the 6" rectangular ones, the other style is dated man, don't look/function nearly as well

• Like 1

UPDATE!!! After fighting with 4wheelonline.com for several days they have finally decided to give me a FULL refund on the Raptor nerf bars. I had to send them pictures of the dents on BOTH bars, they had to show these to the manufacturer then they finally issued me a MRA# for free shipping back to them. I think I am going to look more into the Amp Research power boards after a few of you on here have recommended them. Has anyone installed theirs yet on their 2014? Can you post pics? I have heard that they do not "hide" as well in the up position as they do on the F150.

Chevy Bowtie: I went to auto anything.com this morning and they are about $80 more than you quote above. Did you enter any kind of code to get your price?

Anybody have any good pics of a 2014 with the 4" dealer installed bars?

I'm also intrigued by the AMP retractable bars - has anyone actually installed them on their 2014? Please share your installation experience and impressions, if you would!

UPDATE!!! After fighting with 4wheelonline.com for several days they have finally decided to give me a FULL refund on the Raptor nerf bars. I had to send them pictures of the dents on BOTH bars, they had to show these to the manufacturer then they finally issued me a MRA# for free shipping back to them. I think I am going to look more into the Amp Research power boards after a few of you on here have recommended them. Has anyone installed theirs yet on their 2014? Can you post pics? I have heard that they do not "hide" as well in the up position as they do on the F150.

Chevy Bowtie: I went to auto anything.com this morning and they are about $80 more than you quote above. Did you enter any kind of code to get your price?

Yes, I told them I found them on Amazon for $1064.28 and asked if they would beat their price (they did by $1). The guy said yes and had to work up a new order form in order to apply the discount. You will have to call them or instant message someone on the website. The guy I spoke with was Alex V.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In searching for an inexpensive set of side steps I decided on the SS 3" bars sold under the Ionic brand. The are basically the house brand of AutoCustoms/running board world, etc. (lots of branded websites, they are all really the same company). They are actually made by Steelcraft.

Anyway, they are advertised as 304 SS with 90 degree bends and body bolt mount which is a very solid and clean mounting method. So, with an $188 price they seemed like the best, low cost option.

Well. They showed up yesterday and instead of 90 degree ends that mount to the body bolts they have 45 degree ends and use the factory rocker panel mounting brackets. It's the same part number bit it now says it works on '07 - '14 extended/double cab Silverado/Sierra 1500's. After a call to Auto Customs and eventually Steelcraft it turns out there is some reason the body bolt mounting system is not compatible wit h the 2014's even though they originally had them mounted, photographed and instructions printed showing that method. I'm waiting for a call back from Steelcrafts engineer but he was at SEMA all week so I expect a call back next week.

So, I just wanted to let everyone know that it looks like rocker mount is the only type of boards appropriate for the 2014's. Don't be mislead by some websites.

• 1 month later...

On the 2011 GMC I just traded in for my 2014, I had AMP Research Power Steps with their PowerSteps. These electrically unfold from the vehicle when the door is opened, and then fold in when the door is closed. They are pricey, but they are professional, and are at a balanced height. My 2014 GMC has the factory boards and I don't like them. Their height is wrong, and they are just not located in a way that works for me. I have to fold my body to enter the pickup when I use them. But, the AMPs are just right.

As soon as the weather becomes civil, I'll be removing the factory running boards from my 2014.

408455978.jpg

• Like 1