GM Power Steering fluid specs? Anybody have them?

Mossyoakglock

Question

Does anybody know the specs for the GM power steering fluid? The owners manual just says use part 89021184 but doesn't say "or equivalent" or "meets specification xxxxxxx". I called the parts dept and he was about to give me the specs when he said they had some in stock for $6 and never gave it to me.

Does somebody have this information and know what the specification number is on the PS fluid? Either part number 89021184 or 89021185?

I know there are some power steering fluids that say for GM vehicles or meets GM part number but I'm curious if they meet the specs for the PS fluid in my truck.

I'm getting a low-pitched noise when turning my steering wheel to the left and then when it goes back to center only at very low speeds, like when I'm backing into a parking spot at work. I've got no leaks or anything and it doesn't do it any other time. It's not like the groaning noise when you turn your wheels lock to lock either. It almost sounds like something is just rubbing the steering shaft or something. Maybe a boot or seal needs some silicon spray or something.

3 answers to this question

I was going to go with some aftermarket fluid but after reading around and trying to find the specifications, etc I found a few posts were people had problems with aftermarket fluids in the trucks (and some Corvettes and Camaros) so I'm going with the GM fluid. I'm just topping off anyways.

The GM fluid is only about $0.50 more than Valvoline or Pennzoil so I'll just go with that for now.

Archived