In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

What have you done to your K2 today?

23 minutes ago, MikeBMW said:

(BTW, when at home, there's always going to be a cat in my pics, spot one of them in this one ...) :D

Louise, one of ours and the only indoor/outdoor cat nearly lost her tail yesterday in fight. About a dozen stitches and lost much of the tail tendon and lots of blood. (She may loose it yet) She's a Russian Blue and looks silly with a shaved tail and a neck cone. Poor girl. About a 4" cut straight as a pin right down the center. That be some sharp claws. I set Rex loose on that feral cat. He's a ratter. It won't be back. 😡 He's funny like that. Lives with four and yet does not tolerate strays. 

She's getting a bit older now and this is the first fight she's ever lost I know of. 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Louise, one of ours and the only indoor/outdoor cat nearly lost her tail yesterday in fight. About a dozen stitches and lost much of the tail tendon and lots of blood. (She may loose it yet) She's a Russian Blue and looks silly with a shaved tail and a neck cone. Poor girl. About a 4" cut straight as a pin right down the center. That be some sharp claws. I set Rex loose on that feral cat. He's a ratter. It won't be back. 😡 He's funny like that. Lives with four and yet does not tolerate strays. 

She's getting a bit older now and this is the first fight she's ever lost I know of. 

Oh, my goodness! I hope she recovers very well!
I've been in my downtown house - well, near downtown, within walking distance, - for 21 years.
I've rescued 8 cats in the interim, all indoor/outdoor.
I try to stay at four, max.
If I could, I'd have more but a man has to know his limitations. And cat limitations.
I have a great vet that only treats cats, it's been my life-line/kitteh line and my ex-wife works there and we remain great friends so that's a bonus.
I couldn't imagine life without 'em (the cats).
Easy maintenance, mostly, and, they seem to just not give a Sh*t most of the time. :D

Edited by MikeBMW
  • Like 2

Been lookin at some of the bed light threads. I have the factory ones and they’re LED, but nothing really bright. And I have a swing case which blocks a lot of that light on the drivers side. Found these things on the Amazons and they are an 18 led version of our oem (2 led) ones. Oem are on the left in the pic. Only $20 tho and they got here in a day.  

NDRUSH LED Truck Bed Light, Clear... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MQ8WVWV?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Tuff to tell in the daylight but this is with the passenger side installed and driver still Oem with the swing case out of the way. WAY brighter. 

They fit perfectly, both the space, screw holes AND the factory pigtail plugs in and clicks nice and snug. You just reuse the two 7mm screws already in there. 

My ultimate plan is to get a couple more of these factory plugs and install the oem ones further toward the front and splice them on. But for $20 I may just buy another set of the Amazon ones and ditch the oem altogether.  We’ll see how it goes. I’ll do the oem add on first. Finding the factory connectors is gonna be a yotch tho. Might have to buy the whole harness just to get those. 

6DADD768-23B7-4FD9-BAE8-9A9685503A58.jpeg

49B05D09-2EDB-4EF4-87AC-0AFF268EE819.jpeg

Edited by slide187
Words
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, MikeBMW said:

Thanks! Night time pic:
(BTW, when at home, there's always going to be a cat in my pics, spot one of them in this one ...) :D

IMG_0439.jpg

How bright at night vs the stock HIDs? Was it worth it?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Byrds8 said:

How bright at night vs the stock HIDs? Was it worth it?

It's definitely a whiter and brighter light.
As to "was it worth it?", that's a subjective thing but. for me, it was as I have a very distinctive truck to set me apart from all of the other K2s on the road. :)

• Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 1:05 PM, mikeyk101 said:

I like this idea so I want to try running my OBD2 Bluetooth scanner to see what is happening with my various temps. However, I also want to keep my Range AFM delete plugged in because I need to know the stats while running around with the Range plugged in. What are your thoughts about running an OBD2 splitter to accomplish this? I guess I could just try picking one up because they aren't very expensive but thought I would ask for opinions first.

On 7/25/2021 at 10:35 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

I literally have nothing on this. Sorry. 

So I was able to pick up an OBD2 splitter cable. I have both the Range AFM delete and the BAFX OBD2 reader with live sensor data. Both are urged in now and both seem to work. I am using the Torque Pro app for the sensor data. Surprisingly Trans temp option is not a sensor that the Torque Pro app can read. It does read the coolant temp and I can see how inaccurate the dash coolant gauge is now. It goes right up to 210⁰ and doesn't move. But watching the coolant sensor data, it shows the live temp and even though it was changing frequently, it stayed below the 210⁰ that the dash gauge was reading. 

Does anyone have a tip on how I can access the Trans temp other than through the DIC? Is there another Android app that might include that sensor data?

11 hours ago, MikeBMW said:

It's definitely a whiter and brighter light.
As to "was it worth it?", that's a subjective thing but. for me, it was as I have a very distinctive truck to set me apart from all of the other K2s on the road. :)

I know what you mean about being distinctive. That is my goal in the end. I want her to be mine now everyone elses. I just meant the cost vs amount of light output. Granted even that is subjective lol.

On the issue of the retractable cover opening on the passenger side, apparently I will have to take it to GM and have them do a warranty claim. I spoke with the manufacturer and they said if its not an adjustment issue then there may be an issue with the bearings. Should prove interesting how this plays out as the manufacturer says GM covers the warranty but on GM's accessory page they say the manufacturer does lol. Go figure.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mikeyk101 said:

So I was able to pick up an OBD2 splitter cable. I have both the Range AFM delete and the BAFX OBD2 reader with live sensor data. Both are urged in now and both seem to work. I am using the Torque Pro app for the sensor data. Surprisingly Trans temp option is not a sensor that the Torque Pro app can read. It does read the coolant temp and I can see how inaccurate the dash coolant gauge is now. It goes right up to 210⁰ and doesn't move. But watching the coolant sensor data, it shows the live temp and even though it was changing frequently, it stayed below the 210⁰ that the dash gauge was reading. 

Does anyone have a tip on how I can access the Trans temp other than through the DIC? Is there another Android app that might include that sensor data?

The digital information your DIC displays is surprisingly accurate. In my case my Linear Logic Scan Gauge II reader and DIC are within 1 F at all times. 

Is there an option with Torque Pro for custom programable X gauges? If so they should be able to provide the PID address for the trans temp. 

Does Torque Pro read oil temperature? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

The digital information your DIC displays is surprisingly accurate. In my case my Linear Logic Scan Gauge II reader and DIC are within 1 F at all times. 

Is there an option with Torque Pro for custom programable X gauges? If so they should be able to provide the PID address for the trans temp. 

So after you suggested this, I looked in the settings and found a "Manage extra PIDs/Sensors. Looking deeper, I did find some GM specific choices. When checking them, they were setup to display value in C⁰ and not F⁰. I did change the value to ⁰F but the readings still seem to be in Celsius still so I will have to do some more research on this. There were 3 different Transmission Temp choices listed, Method 1, Method 2, and Method 3. I added all 3. Method 1 and 2 both showed up but Method 3 was blank. Not sure why but I end up with different temps on each. At least I'm headed in the right direction. Thanks

Screenshot_20210731-121019_Torque.jpg

Screenshot_20210731-121012_Torque.jpg

On 7/30/2021 at 7:17 AM, slide187 said:

Been lookin at some of the bed light threads. I have the factory ones and they’re LED, but nothing really bright. And I have a swing case which blocks a lot of that light on the drivers side. Found these things on the Amazons and they are an 18 led version of our oem (2 led) ones. Oem are on the left in the pic. Only $20 tho and they got here in a day.  

NDRUSH LED Truck Bed Light, Clear... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MQ8WVWV?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Tuff to tell in the daylight but this is with the passenger side installed and driver still Oem with the swing case out of the way. WAY brighter. 

They fit perfectly, both the space, screw holes AND the factory pigtail plugs in and clicks nice and snug. You just reuse the two 7mm screws already in there. 

My ultimate plan is to get a couple more of these factory plugs and install the oem ones further toward the front and splice them on. But for $20 I may just buy another set of the Amazon ones and ditch the oem altogether.  We’ll see how it goes. I’ll do the oem add on first. Finding the factory connectors is gonna be a yotch tho. Might have to buy the whole harness just to get those. 

6DADD768-23B7-4FD9-BAE8-9A9685503A58.jpeg

49B05D09-2EDB-4EF4-87AC-0AFF268EE819.jpeg

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Just ordered a set today because of your post. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

2 hours ago, mikeyk101 said:

So after you suggested this, I looked in the settings and found a "Manage extra PIDs/Sensors. Looking deeper, I did find some GM specific choices. When checking them, they were setup to display value in C⁰ and not F⁰. I did change the value to ⁰F but the readings still seem to be in Celsius still so I will have to do some more research on this. There were 3 different Transmission Temp choices listed, Method 1, Method 2, and Method 3. I added all 3. Method 1 and 2 both showed up but Method 3 was blank. Not sure why but I end up with different temps on each. At least I'm headed in the right direction. Thanks

Screenshot_20210731-121019_Torque.jpg

Screenshot_20210731-121012_Torque.jpg

Turns out I had to change the value under Equation. After checking, I originally tried A*(9/5)-58 after reading it as a suggestion in a torque forum. That got me closer but values were still too low. I found another answer that said to use A*(9/5)-40. After changing to this, the Method 1 showed the same numbers for trans temp as the DIC. So looks like I am golden now. Here is screen shot showing temps after letting the OBD2 connect and just starting the truck...

Screenshot_20210731-143650_Torque.jpg

• Like 2

Finally got some time to go get my new rear wheels and tires put on. Making my front looks like doo doo with the crazy amount of brake dust. 

https://youtube.com/shorts/mFcx64uSCHI?feature=share  

next up, swapping out the front pads from HAWKS 5.0 to HAWKS yellow pads. SHOULD be a lot less dust. The 5.0 was nice when I realllllly put some heat in it. But as my DD…. I need more bite with less temp. So these Yellow pads should do. 

p.s. …. These pads are 12lbs…… CRAZY! 

36A78866-4A65-4605-9466-5EA68BE27E77.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikeyk101 said:

Turns out I had to change the value under Equation. After checking, I originally tried A*(9/5)-58 after reading it as a suggestion in a torque forum. That got me closer but values were still too low. I found another answer that said to use A*(9/5)-40. After changing to this, the Method 1 showed the same numbers for trans temp as the DIC. So looks like I am golden now. Here is screen shot showing temps after letting the OBD2 connect and just starting the truck...

Screenshot_20210731-143650_Torque.jpg

Okay, your up and running now. Cool. See if you can change that second TFT to Ambient air temp. Or inlet temp. 

Then lets see where your at after say an hour on the highway. 😉 

• Like 2

On 7/29/2021 at 8:20 PM, MikeBMW said:

Oh, my goodness! I hope she recovers very well!
I've been in my downtown house - well, near downtown, within walking distance, - for 21 years.
I've rescued 8 cats in the interim, all indoor/outdoor.
I try to stay at four, max.
If I could, I'd have more but a man has to know his limitations. And cat limitations.
I have a great vet that only treats cats, it's been my life-line/kitteh line and my ex-wife works there and we remain great friends so that's a bonus.
I couldn't imagine life without 'em (the cats).
Easy maintenance, mostly, and, they seem to just not give a Sh*t most of the time. :D

Yea, 4 is a great number for pets🤨 not sure what I would do without 300 lbs. of dogs that shed faster than they can grow hair (think about it). They are not big cat, dog, squirrel, crow, bad people, and pretty anything else fans....

IMG_0585.jpg.7c26202768c43a3ec2f81434100e7398.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Okay, your up and running now. Cool. See if you can change that second TFT to Ambient air temp. Or inlet temp. 

Then lets see where your at after say an hour on the highway. 😉 

I will be heading down to the Smokey mountains tomorrow pulling my toyhauler travel trailer so I will be able to do some experimenting...