Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

What have you done to your K2 today?


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, M1ck3y said:

So your expensive shocks failed and you bought the same one's again?

 

Did you know those shocks are fully serviceable? I think they actually recommend a full service on a yearly basis. 

I got about 150k out of them, and yes, I know, thanks.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had the Putco lightbar installed today....too bad its the wrong one. I ordered the two color but apparently it showed up broken and the tech didnt realize that it was only two color instead of three. So he installed the three color without saying anything. Imagine my surprise with the lights didnt match. Man it sucks being OCD. Now I have to wait til they get a new one in to get it fixed.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Took her in for an oil change and tire rotation (which i normally do myself but) had them check out a funky brake pedal noise (sounded like under the truck at drive thru's, not the pedal, plus my fluid has looked slightly low.)

 

So need rotors and pads all around, (not a shocker or a huge deal) but turns out the noise is the rear calipers are freezing so i guess thats making the noise when the system releases but the calipers don't? idk.  anyways i'm doing the rotors and pads myself and then i'll have the dealer do the calipers and a proper line flush. 

 

Question tho... can i tell whether i have the regular 6-piston or the "big brake 6-piston" brakes just by looking at them?  or by RPO code?  truck is an '18 All-Terrain SLT Premium Plus.  Thanks for any info, peeps, in advance!

 

Edit: it looks like if it's NOT the "Big Brake" kit then its only a 4-piston caliper... is that right?  and then in that case i WOULD be able to tell just by looking. haha.  sorry for the possible false alarm haha.

Edited by slide187
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, slide187 said:

Took her in for an oil change and tire rotation (which i normally do myself but) had them check out a funky brake pedal noise (sounded like under the truck at drive thru's, not the pedal, plus my fluid has looked slightly low.)

 

So need rotors and pads all around, (not a shocker or a huge deal) but turns out the noise is the rear calipers are freezing so i guess thats making the noise when the system releases but the calipers don't? idk.  anyways i'm doing the rotors and pads myself and then i'll have the dealer do the calipers and a proper line flush. 

 

Question tho... can i tell whether i have the regular 6-piston or the "big brake 6-piston" brakes just by looking at them?  or by RPO code?  truck is an '18 All-Terrain SLT Premium Plus.  Thanks for any info, peeps, in advance!

 

Edit: it looks like if it's NOT the "Big Brake" kit then its only a 4-piston caliper... is that right?  and then in that case i WOULD be able to tell just by looking. haha.  sorry for the possible false alarm haha.

If you have a K2, it’s a 2 pistons floating calipers in the front and single floating rear. Only the 19+ have 4 pistons fixed front calipers. 

you’ll know if you have a BBK… they are BIG. It will fill up 20” wheels pretty much all the way. 

 

 

If you’re already gonna change the front calipers, swap them to the 19+ Cheap and easy upgrade. 

2439C36B-9F45-49BF-ACD8-8E012A6E2E26.jpeg

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would do the brake job, clean everything, new metal tins etc etc and grease all the slide pins. Then see if the noise is still there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah I took their numbers and compared it to the place I normally use for brake parts and I can save $300 doin it myself amd that’s with some nice slotted/dimpled rotors and premium pads. so I’m def doin that. And as for the rear calipers while they’re off I was gonna clean em better than I typically do, give em new hardware and check the pins etc. for just that reason. good point tho. That could get rid of the noise. 👍🏼
 

and thx cajunfries. Haha seems like a dum question now, but when ordering my parts with my year it asked me to choose “with BBK or w/o BBK” but they phrased it weird. Haha

 

thanks again guys!

Edited by slide187
Link to comment
Share on other sites

*From #5752 Chrome 20" wheels to #5916 Gun Metal 20" wheels.  If anyone is interested, the #5752's are for sale in good condition.  One has some curb rash, two have very minor blemishes, and one in almost perfect condition. 

*From Michelin 275/60 R20 tires to BFG KO2 AT 33x12.5 20 tires. The BFG's are DEFINITELY not Michelins.  Gave up comfort, ride, & quietness for a more aggressive look.  Wish the Michelin AT2's had a more aggressive look on the side of the tire.

*From OEM step rails to N-fab Epyx step rails (didn't get a "before" on the step rails)

*From Rancho rear shocks to Bilstein 5100's - MUCH improved ride/stability and from just replacing the rears. My front Bilstein 5100 ride height adjustable shocks have been on (back) order since MARCH!!!! Need to get the front up about 1.5" to lever it up.

AFTER 5916 GMC Wheels.jpg

BEFORE 5916 GMC Wheels.jpg.HEIC

Edited by Cujo
more info
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spent 9 hours cleaning the truck and getting it ceramic coated today. It haven’t been properly washed in MONTHS…. I’ve been just rinsing it off in the morning after I get off work and the dust and concrete powder mix was just CAKED on. Got couple more hours left for tomorrow to finish the passenger side. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, CajunFries said:

Spent 9 hours cleaning the truck and getting it ceramic coated today. It haven’t been properly washed in MONTHS…. I’ve been just rinsing it off in the morning after I get off work and the dust and concrete powder mix was just CAKED on. Got couple more hours left for tomorrow to finish the passenger side. 

FullSizeRender.mov

Not sure what I was supposed to be looking at in the video, but thought it was funny that you have a big American V8 truck and your neighbors have two Prius' in their driveway😬

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JimCost2014 said:

Not sure what I was supposed to be looking at in the video, but thought it was funny that you have a big American V8 truck and your neighbors have two Prius' in their driveway😬


Oh sorry. I thought I added the picture of the hood before I started. But it’s now mirrored like on any surface. It was really bad before. CAKED on with concrete powder and dust. It felt like a 200 grit sandpaper. 
 

Haha yeahhhhhh all of my vehicles are….. farrrrrr from being green. 5 dedicated track motorcycles and this E85/meth fed boosted 5.3. 

1DE9541A-453E-42B4-A98B-B95E8D84ACAB.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, where do I start. Put the house up for sale in Illinois, sold in two days. Couldn't find a place to rent until we figured out what we were gonna do. So, bit the bullet and moved to Florida. Was always in the cards, just not this soon. Renting till our house is complete. Truck is sitting outside till house is complete in December. B&M trans pan install and Amsoil fluid change out on hold till December (no garage). Good news is Cab Over America lights get charged constantly. Still not happy with the fit and finish. At least I'll have shorts on this December 😀

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dragging my station car 200 miles to use when down on LI for work. I’d dropped the engine in April due to a slight overheat, wound up installing larger pistons, cylinders (1584-1660 CC) and generally rebuilding/replacing everything from the case-out. First oil change after 5-7 miles of ring break-in, adjust valves, carb and timing. Good to go.  👍

 

7A2661FB-D174-4B61-8FBB-3E75775A0649.jpeg

B53A5522-8272-4626-BC32-AA70D63F8770.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CajunFries said:

Swapped out the G80 for a truetrac. The G80 had a rough life but it will now rest in pieces…..

CEF3E11E-136D-4712-A0BC-4B0EB45551DE.jpeg

Wow! I have a G80, what do you think caused it to rest in pieces?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.