Transmission Filter/Fluid change at 165k miles??

I have read pros and cons on this topic and wanted to get actual Chevy owner's opinions.

In my manual it says to change the filter/fluid at 100k(or 50k severe). I purchased my truck(2000 Suburban K2500 LT) in June with 160k on it and it currently has 165k. I have no idea if the transmission fluid was changed at 100k and I am considering changing it now. The reason I want to change it is when it is cold outside it hesitates to shift until it is warm. It only does this when I am going 25mph down my street. When I get above 35 it is fine and won't have an issue the rest of the trip. I have heard people say never do them over 75k(even though GM says do it at 100k?) and I have heard people say if you just drop the pan and do the filter it is a good idea. I don't want to make the problem worse since it only does it when it is under 20 degrees outside. I plan to do fuel filter/plugs/wires/etc soon so I figured I might as well do the trans filter/fluid, transfer case and diffs. Thoughts??

I have read pros and cons on this topic and wanted to get actual Chevy owner's opinions.

In my manual it says to change the filter/fluid at 100k(or 50k severe). I purchased my truck(2000 Suburban K2500 LT) in June with 160k on it and it currently has 165k. I have no idea if the transmission fluid was changed at 100k and I am considering changing it now. The reason I want to change it is when it is cold outside it hesitates to shift until it is warm. It only does this when I am going 25mph down my street. When I get above 35 it is fine and won't have an issue the rest of the trip. I have heard people say never do them over 75k(even though GM says do it at 100k?) and I have heard people say if you just drop the pan and do the filter it is a good idea. I don't want to make the problem worse since it only does it when it is under 20 degrees outside. I plan to do fuel filter/plugs/wires/etc soon so I figured I might as well do the trans filter/fluid, transfer case and diffs. Thoughts??

Eveyone has their own opinions on changing trans fluid but the way I see it is you either change it every 30K or never change it at all, I drove 2 4l60s to 150k plus on orig fluid, and another 4l60 to 110k and changed the fluid and the trans blew at 115k

I have heard the BS about how changing the fluid can cause problems but I don't believe it. Most likely the problems would have been an issue in the near future anyway.

Why do forums go nuts about "I change my oil every 3k" or "I would never go 5,000 without changing oil", yet they all beleive its ok to leave the ATF in forever?

I didn't want to believe the myth about the problems after a fluid change at such high mileage either. But as soon as I changed the filter and fluid in mine at right above 200k it failed, and that's with no previous issues or known abuse.

Granted, I don't know if it had been changed prior to us buying it at 70k miles or so on the odometer.

Either way, definitely be prepared for a new tranny sooner or later.

My truck gets the pan dropped and filter changed yearly. It can't hurt. My tranny temps stay low and consistent.

I've had t case and diffs done in the last 20k. Did plugs and wires just over 100k. Don't forget to torque them and use dielectric grease. Might want to change out the coolant and thermostat. I'd check the belts and dress them too. And air filter. I could probably think of more lol.

Oh and check the idler pulleys for play.

Thank you for all the opinions. The only time I have messed with a high mileage trans was in a Cadillac I had that had a bad speed sensor. It had 150k on it and I was instructed by our transmission guy to suck out a gallon and refill then drive 25 mi. to mix it in. Then when I dropped the pan to remove the valve body I replaced the filter. After replacing the sensors and refilling it I never had an issue, but I sold the car a few months later. I really cant say for sure if the mix method did anything at all, but the way he explained it the reasoning was to slowly add in new fluid so it wouldn't shock the system.

I am going to do the plugs, wires, fuel filter and coolant for now. I already did the air filter. This spring I plan to change the transfer case and diffs. I don't want to replace the trans so I figure I will just leave it be. If it dies in the future I will chalk it off to wear vs me changing the fluid and causing it. I only put about 5k miles on it per year max so I am hoping to get a couple years out of it without any major repairs if I can.

Archived