2014+ AFM (Active Fuel Management)

I got the Range Disabler for the V6 4.3 engine and can tell a big difference on the way the truck drives, so far so good. The RPM are back to normal. No more shaking at around 50 MPH that would get sometimes when in 4 cylinder mode and the RPM's all over the place when driving around town in 4 cylinder mode. Not sure how much MPG will lose on the truck but well worth it IMO, if I need to save on MPG just unplug the device. Read somewhere that if you leave your trucking sitting for more than a week need to unplug as it drains a little from the battery. Purchase the Range device from Autoanything.com for around 140 dollars but the price it is up to 160 bucks with the 20 percent off promo code from there website which seems like a good deal if anyone is looking to buy.

I bought the Range device used on here. Its a night and day difference for me. Some people say they cant tell the difference but I think its depends on driving style and conditions. The AFM really hurts the trucks performance in the city with lots of stop and go. Some people are concerned with fuel mileage loss with it disabled. IMO, if you are concerned with fuel mileage you need to go by a prius not a truck.

• Like 1

DirtyMarcus, have you had any codes show up since using the range module? I had to take mine in to have them reset 4 times because it would trick the stabiltrak system and shut it off. error messages were "service brake assist" and "service stabiltrak".

DirtyMarcus, have you had any codes show up since using the range module? I had to take mine in to have them reset 4 times because it would trick the stabiltrak system and shut it off. error messages were "service brake assist" and "service stabiltrak".

No issues at all. I actually just did a 5 hour drive and today and didn't have one problem with it. You may need to send your module back in to have it updated. Contact Range and let them know of your issues.

Edited by DirtyMarcus

• 1 month later...

So absolutely sick n tired of AFM bullshit.

Bought the Range device online from Auto everything on sale for $159 and free overnight ship.

Got it yesterday. Installed it just now. About to take about a 100 mile drive for my kids sports game. Excited to try it out.

Are folks still throwing codes with these devices?

Got an in person tune by a local LSX tuner and turned that AFM crap off.... Wow the truck feels so much better. Idk if uts the tune or just turning AFM off but man... That was craptastic.

Never aging will i wait so long to turn it off.... Gm should offer it as an option not a feature.

Sent from my Note 4 on Tapashit

• Like 1

Update:

Drove all weekend prob 100 miles or so mixed highway/ city. No issues thus far.

Truck certainly drives differently and I really like it!

Worth the $150 IMO

• 4 weeks later...

GM needs to do away with this crap, especially if they're going to 10 speed transmissions. In my opinion AFM is worthless in something with that many gears.

I agree. AFM is a gimmick. While it might save 10% on fuel consumption, it makes the motor a lot more complicated.

• Like 1

Hello Everyone, I have the Range device and love it, That said would it be a good idea to remove it, say once a month or every two weeks, and drive a few days, just to let the engine run the way it was designed? would this help prevent any build up or sticking on the lifters that compress? or is this a non issue?

Thanks,

Hello Everyone, I have the Range device and love it, That said would it be a good idea to remove it, say once a month or every two weeks, and drive a few days, just to let the engine run the way it was designed? would this help prevent any build up or sticking on the lifters that compress? or is this a non issue?

Thanks,

Thanks,

• 2 months later...

put flow master 40 delta on the truck,was ok with the shifting v4/v8 but after a month i hate it , would the bola cat back from gm sorta solve the problem?

sorry i meant borla

Just an FYI for everyone. My range device kept killing my batter . For 2 weeks I couldn't figure out why and even took it to the dealer thinking the alternator was going out. They didn't find anything and a few days later I plugged in the range device again. Dead battery, again. I charged it again over night but it wouldn't start. My battery was toast.

Not the fault of the range device but a weak and dying battery will definitely give each you issues when using the range device. Mainly, helping kill the battery quicker.

I put in a new agm battery and everything has been fine since.