2014+ AFM (Active Fuel Management)

On 11/10/2017 at 8:35 PM, chris-i said:

What parts do you have to change in the motor to permanently delete afm? Cam? Also any good brands/part numbers of parts required?
Thanks for the help

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I'll get you a parts list, my mechanic is installing a supercharger and mechanical AFM delete next week. 

• 2 weeks later...

I need advice from a GM dealer mechanic: I installed a Range last month in my 2015, 5.3, 6 speed.  It works as advertised and is always in the V8 mode.  Drive ability is the same, you don't notice any difference. The problem is that the fuel mileage is down about 10%.  Are these late model Eco tech 3 engines really having problems, like the earlier trucks?  I am considering removing the Range, what do you think?

Thanks, Dave

Edited by dgstarr63
engine description correction

On 2/16/2018 at 6:05 PM, dgstarr63 said:

I need advice from a GM dealer mechanic: I installed a Range last month in my 2015, 5.3, 6 speed.  It works as advertised and is always in the V8 mode.  Drive ability is the same, you don't notice any difference. The problem is that the fuel mileage is down about 10%.  Are these late model Eco tech 3 engines really having problems, like the earlier trucks?  I am considering removing the Range, what do you think?

Thanks, Dave

Of course it's going to get less mileage.  What did you expect, it disables the fuel saving feature (V4) of the engine.

22 minutes ago, dgstarr63 said:

My question was : If I don't see any difference in the way it performs, is their any reason to continue using the range?  In other words, will the using the AFM shorten engine life on a 2015 5.3?

Dave

Earlier in the thread there were some ominous tales of lifter damage and piston ring issues. Factual or not, the idea of half the engine just going along for the ride does not sit well with me. The more I think about it, the less I like it. In the end, It's my truck and I decide what is best.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2017 Sierra Crew Cab 6.2L 8-speed that I'm putting a Magnuson TVS1900 on. I'll have the AFM tuned to be off. My question is whether or not just tuning the AFM out is good enough, or do I have to do the whole DOD/AFM Delete thing?

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/7/2018 at 12:03 AM, Mileguru said:

I have a 2017 Sierra Crew Cab 6.2L 8-speed that I'm putting a Magnuson TVS1900 on. I'll have the AFM tuned to be off. My question is whether or not just tuning the AFM out is good enough, or do I have to do the whole DOD/AFM Delete thing?

Tuning it out is good enough

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/22/2018 at 4:25 PM, jgraves13 said:

Has anyone used a range with the newest software on a 2017-2018? Wondering if they are still plagued with the stabilitrak CELs. If they have this issue fixed, I may look into getting one.

I had an older Range unit sent in and got the latest firmware upgrade. Been running it on my 2016 Silverado for the last four months with no issue at all.

• 2 months later...

So I started reading through this thread but man it’s a long one. So I asked a question you may all yell at me cause I’m sure it’s been answered before. Is there any way to turn off afm without voiding the warranty. I read somewhere that the range was untraceable which would allow you to take it off and be fine. I also heard a lot of people having issues with the range thing too. I need some input. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I started reading through this thread but man it’s a long one. So I asked a question you may all yell at me cause I’m sure it’s been answered before. Is there any way to turn off afm without voiding the warranty. I read somewhere that the range was untraceable which would allow you to take it off and be fine. I also heard a lot of people having issues with the range thing too. I need some input. Thanks

It is untraceable, and software updates have fixed the problems. Many members have them on newer trucks and don't have any issues

• Like 2