Vibration in Floorboard, Not Speed/Tire Related

First off, I did a search and the only thread that appeared was the 41 page "Shake or Vibration" thread. But after looking through about half of it, nobody appeared to have a problem similar to what I'm observing.

Since I've taken delivery of my Denali in December, I've been noticing a slight vibration in the floorboard when accelerating, and then at certain RPMs. I've had tire and balancing issues before on other vehicles, and this is definitely not related to the tires or even speed - my truck rides smooth as glass. My problem is related to engine RPMs and slight vibrations and is only noticed at my floorboard. The vibrations aren't too bad, but the issue is that my feet (mostly left and right heel) start going numb on moderate to long length drives. When I was younger I had a job as a bike assembler using power tools all day and I would experience the same numbness/tingling in my hands after a long day of building bikes. When the vibration occurs, I can generally let off the gas a little and it'll go away. But it's present much of the time. It's so slight that I didn't really care, but now that it's causing my feet to go numb, I can't ignore it.

Has anybody else noticed something similar? It feels like maybe a motor/transmission or body mount is bad. I'm going to mention it the next time I'm in for service, but wanted to see if anybody else was experiencing something similar.

Thanks.

Edited by MotoMedic
Added Topic Tags
  • Like 1

There is a PI out that addresses vibrations in the 30-35 mph range that is related to the driveshaft. Generally when we see a u-joint or driveshaft issue you will feel it in the floor and it can be more or less noticeable with a load on the drive train. Could be what is causing the issue for you.

Craig

• Like 1

I have the same vibration or sometimes sounds like a hum or drone. Since there is not a clear fix as advised as advised by my dealer to do nothing and wait for fix. When I hear or feel the vibration, I change to a speed that it doesn't do it. Have had the truck a month and has been in the shop 5 times and this time for two days now. The infotainment failed. Not happy. I don't know what to do next.

G

There is a PI out that addresses vibrations in the 30-35 mph range that is related to the driveshaft. Generally when we see a u-joint or driveshaft issue you will feel it in the floor and it can be more or less noticeable with a load on the drive train. Could be what is causing the issue for you.

Craig

Nope, definitely not speed related. Happens from 2 mph to 80 mph just the same. Definitely engine RPM related.

Nope, definitely not speed related. Happens from 2 mph to 80 mph just the same. Definitely engine RPM related.

There is another one related to the trans and motor mount but it is for a vibration at idle and in gear. It is supposed to go away off idle. It could still be your concern as anything that bridges across from the motor to the body can cause a vibration. It also could be something simple like a trans or oil cooler line that is slightly out of place and touching something. Best bet is to get it in to a decent dealership equipped with a vibration analyzer and a tech smart enough to use it. There is another PI dealing with escalating vibration concerns to GM technical assistance but the tech better have crossed all the "Ts" and dotted all the "Is" before calling in as the worksheet was pretty comprehensive.

• Like 1

Hello Black03Yukon,

I understand that you are experiencing vibrations in the floorboard of your vehicle while accelerating. I’m not able to offer technical advice, but I would like to reach out to your preferred dealership so that you can get this concern properly diagnosed. If you would like my assistance, please send a private message referencing this thread. I will be happy to help!

Kristen A.

GM Customer Care

Interesting, I thought it was just my truck as I could not find any reference to this type of vibration in my searches.

For me, there is a vibration in the floorboard and can also be felt in the gas pedal. It is right around 1500 RPM and you can feel it if you are parked so for sure its engine related. I have to bring the truck in for the exhaust heat recall and I will ask them to check on this. I bet they brush it off though.

It seems the problem appeared after a couple hundred miles as I am sure it was not there when I picked it up. I recently installed running boards so I am wondering if that has anything to do with it. Tempted to remove the driver side board to see. But I doubt it.

As you mentioned, I was on a long trip and I kept changing my speed to get rid of it. You can feel it around 50-65, so I had to go over 70 so keep it smooth.

It runs nice and smooth at other RPM's so I am not happy that a new truck has this issue!

If anyone finds a solution, please post!

Mine is a GMC SLT crew cab with the V8 and Z71.

-Rich

Mine does this. It kinda comes and goes as you drive along. A buzzing like sound, high frequency vibration. Not real bad but I notice it. Mentioned it to service manager already. Not driving much this winter, but if it keeps anoyning me him and I are going for a ride sometime. He suggested maybe I should drive another truck off the lot to compare. I'm thinking if a lot of people are having the same problem hopefully there will be a TBS or something eventually. Also I noticed it doesn't matter if it's in V4 or V8.

My truck has that vibration as well, and in the steering wheel, very noticeable in V4 mode, but still there in 8mode. I have had a gm field service engineer address this, he replace two rear tires and balanced my drive shaft, picked it up slightly better, steering wheel still vibrated, and now after two days i can feel it in the flor again. They treid swapping tires to bridgestone duelers to no avail. It is escalated to gm district manager.

I hate my entire experience with this s-box truck. 44k does not get you much these days, lets hope GM steps us for us.

For sure mine is not the tires its the engine and the vibration is more of a buzz in the floor board. I think its something like the exhaust or motor mount that is not mounted or isolated properly. Only feel it between 1500 and 2000 RPM and its a little worse under load.

For sure mine is not the tires its the engine and the vibration is more of a buzz in the floor board. I think its something like the exhaust or motor mount that is not mounted or isolated properly. Only feel it between 1500 and 2000 RPM and its a little worse under load.

Yeah, maybe if enough of them show same problem they will figure it out and issue a TBS on it eventually. Mines really not that bad I feel something.

Exactly what I feel. A slight buzzing on the floor, low rpm, definitely not tire or speed related, more under slight load. I really didn't care too much about it until my foot/feet started to get numb. I wonder if the new hydraulic body mounts aren't spec'd correctly, or if some are bad?

I get a pretty good vibrating under harder acceleration. it seems to travel through the floorboard from the front to the back. I am going to wait a while to take in to dealer so they can try and iron the others first. maybe come up with a proper fix.