Vibration in Floorboard, Not Speed/Tire Related

Dealership tells me it's the torque converter and operating within the normal characteristic of the design of the vehicle. I believe it's exhaust resonance causing the floorboard to vibrate between 1600 and 1800 rpm because the floorboard seems to be very vulnerable to vibration. I can even feel it vibrate when I make adjustments to the adjustable pedals. Probably due to the floor pan not being thick enough. I tried numerous things with very little success. A secondary or thicker floor pan would probably do the trick? For some unknown reason GM didn't even install exhaust shields on the driver's and front passenger floorboards.

The dreaded "normal characteristics of the design". I kind of figured that was going to be the case. I will bring it to my dealers attention at least next time I am in. If it really is the torque converter I wonder if changing to a full synthetic fluid would help alleviate any of the issue? I played with the adjustable pedals last night and at the furthest away from the driver setting it might be a little better but to early to tell. This has kind of just made my mind up to go ahead and order the Corsa exhaust I have been eyeballing.....if it's going to vibrate I at least want a nice rumble to accompany it. Ha

Yea, I guess it could be the torque converter but I have my doubts because I have been able to change the vibration slightly by monkey'n around with the exhaust. I even installed a borla system, sound was awesome but vibration didn't change much, just moved the range 100 rpm higher.

Yea, I guess it could be the torque converter but I have my doubts because I have been able to change the vibration slightly by monkey'n around with the exhaust. I even installed a borla system, sound was awesome but vibration didn't change much, just moved the range 100 rpm higher.

I kind of doubt the torque converter as well. What is weird is it just started right at about 4K miles on the truck. Good to know about the exhaust....maybe we just need headers as well. Haha

I was looking at the gas pedal assembly last night to see if there was an easy way to dampen the contact with the floorboard thinking that might help. I might monkey around with that this weekend and see if I can come up with something.

I kind of doubt the torque converter as well. What is weird is it just started right at about 4K miles on the truck. Good to know about the exhaust....maybe we just need headers as well. Haha

I was looking at the gas pedal assembly last night to see if there was an easy way to dampen the contact with the floorboard thinking that might help. I might monkey around with that this weekend and see if I can come up with something.

Yea, I tried a layer of 1/4 silicone sheet between the wall and the plastic plate that the pedal is attached to but it didn't help much because the plate runs quite a ways up the firewall. It's impossible to get something behind the entire plate without disassembling everything in that area.

Yea, the vibration/buzzing sensation is very annoying, I have been dealing with it from the beginning of my purchase.

It will drive a person crazy, I know, I have tried many stupid things to try and alleviate it.

Of course you don't notice it when you're adrenalines up and your excited about purchasing a new truck.

I thought about installing a thermal and sound suppression exhaust blanket around the cat, like the one in this picture just to see if it would make a difference.

post-127588-0-56243400-1404926898_thumb.jpg

Edited by 14LTZZ71

Oh, by the way. I was thinking that maybe when they came out with the update for the exhaust getting too hot it created this issue? When the exhaust gases are hotter they flow thru the pipe more efficient.

Not sure how they are keeping the exhaust cooler, less fuel and air mixture, leaning it out a bit?

Edited by 14LTZZ71

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

You are all going to think I am nuts but I posted in the vibration thread earlier today about a similar experience. I think what you are all describing is more accurate to what I had for the last 6000 miles (truck has 15000). I was living with the vibration not trying to trouble shoot at all what I was trying to resolve was how my acceleration has seemed to diminish. After reading about oil catch cans and cleaning injectors I tried the simplest thing first. I went and got a bottle of Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner. After a few days my acceleration issue felt like the day it was brought home and to my surprise the vibration in the floor boards, gas pedal, back seat, steering wheel, has gone away. I am not saying I have a fix, but perhaps I am lucky and had a good outcome that I thought worthy of sharing for what it is worth.

• 2 weeks later...

I started noticing this pedal vibration/buzzing the day I got new tires. The tires are perfectly balanced and no vibration anywhere else in the truck so to speak, but wondering if the new tread design creates the tiniest road resonance. Mine seems to only be at about 45mph under load. Seems worse on some roads and almost non-existent on others. Very hard to pinpoint and am trying to not let it bug me too much!

• 2 weeks later...

So I just installed my oil catch can today and I've notice this exact problem you guys are describing. Vibration or buzzing in the gas pedal at lower RPM's but under slight load and completely independent of speed or gear. If I give it more gas and increase RPM's it goes away and when I'm at cruising speeds it goes away. In hindsight I think this problem has always been there but way less pronounced than it is now after the catch can install. It definitely feels exhaust related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and I don't feel it at all when the truck is in park or neutral and I rev the engine. It feels kind of like back pressure in the exhaust when it happens....that's the best way to describe it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Silverado-Hareek

• 5 weeks later...

I installed the Borla CatBack Exhaust # 140544 and it had drone in V4 mode, sounded like a flutter or helicopter. So I sent it back to Borla and now I am back to the 32 dump mod. I should have installed the Borla GM version because it comes with the valve in the front pipe but it also cost $300 more.

I still have some vibration/buzzing sensation in the floorboard and accelerated pedal but now I am just trying to ignore it, which is difficult to do.

I'm not using my range V8 device because I need to send it back to the manufacture so they can update it, but. I have version 4 and the current version is 6+.

I just had a borla muffler installed and am thinking about doing the 32" dump mod to make it a little cleaner, plus I can't even hear the new muffler so I am going cut the resonator out, and wondering if you got the drone because of the 32" dump mod or if I would be better off having a new pipe welded in without the resonator going back to the stock exit location? Thanks!

I just had a borla muffler installed and am thinking about doing the 32" dump mod to make it a little cleaner, plus I can't even hear the new muffler so I am going cut the resonator out, and wondering if you got the drone because of the 32" dump mod or if I would be better off having a new pipe welded in without the resonator going back to the stock exit location? Thanks!

I didn't get the drone from the 32 dump mod, I got it from installing the none GM borla exhaust that doesn't have the adaptive flapper valve. The 32 dump mod looked awesome but I was worried about the exhaust gases prematurely causing the under body to rust, so I installed a tailpipe without the resonator. I think the clean look of the 32 dump looks the best though.

Any body figure this out yet? Starting to drive me nuts, mainly since mine is in the 40mph-50mph range which is what all the roads I drive are. I experimented with double stick tape and it didn't help. It also used to only be in my pedal and now its made its way to the floorboard.

Any body figure this out yet? Starting to drive me nuts, mainly since mine is in the 40mph-50mph range which is what all the roads I drive are. I experimented with double stick tape and it didn't help. It also used to only be in my pedal and now its made its way to the floorboard.

Mine's been improving :dunno: